House Prices

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I hear one more person refer to renting as “throwing money away” I will scream! I never saw renting as throwing my money away - how could it be when I was paying to live somewhere?! It doesn’t make any sense!
It's so frustrating. Although it's a very mixed up world where owning is far cheaper per month than renting (and IR aren't rising anytime soon!).

It should have never been made so easy for people to never sell their house when they move and just switch it to a buy to let then remortgage that to use as the deposit on the next place. It's a pyramid scheme, but it makes the financial institutions a lot of money by selling these products and keeping prices sky high.

Taxes on buy to let should have come in decades ago, but many MPs (including Tony Blair) had bought a shed load of them to feather their own nest. So carried on brewing up toxic problems. Homes under the hammer and kirsty & Phil have a lot to answer for!

Reactions: 4
I'm 33, went straight into renting as the family home would literally have driven me mental. I wished for years I could buy one day. Now? I honestly don't care. It's held as the goal to reach, you're successful if you own a home etc. I'm happy to rent, the repair costs alone make me shudder and im so relieved I never have to worry about that. I wish rent was fairer though and landlord held accountable to a uniform standard.

I moved from zone 3 London as I couldnt afford to rent there, I'm now in a commuter town just outside london and the rent is the absolute maximum we can afford on our wages right now. We will never be able to buy, there is no chance we could get a deposit together. There is property inheritance in line though, which is more than some have.
I feel the same, unless you're in the very fortunate position to buy a house outright then effectively the bank is your landlord anyway.

Reactions: 3
I feel the same, unless you're in the very fortunate position to buy a house outright then effectively the bank is your landlord anyway.
True. but the bank cannot kick your out with two months notice when your still paying.

I have rented for a long time, I enjoyed the freedom but now we have bought I enjoy the investment on the work we are doing to the house. We have no plans to move for 10 or so years. I think renting is ideal for some, especially as it doesn’t tie you in to the area or the person you choose to rent with.

Reactions: 8
True. but the bank cannot kick your out with two months notice when your still paying.

I have rented for a long time, I enjoyed the freedom but now we have bought I enjoy the investment on the work we are doing to the house. We have no plans to move for 10 or so years. I think renting is ideal for some, especially as it doesn’t tie you in to the area or the person you choose to rent with.
Yes you're right, that is the only drawback of renting. My SIL bought her house as a new build 22 years ago, she only has three years of repayments left but is already talking about taking out a loan as soon as she's nearly debt free the house needs a new kitchen, new bathroom and she could he doing with an extra bedroom now that her kids are teenagers and wanting their own space. It's never ending, it's like no matter what your situation you're still at the mercy of the landlords or the banks!

Reactions: 2
Yes you're right, that is the only drawback of renting. My SIL bought her house as a new build 22 years ago, she only has three years of repayments left but is already talking about taking out a loan as soon as she's nearly debt free the house needs a new kitchen, new bathroom and she could he doing with an extra bedroom now that her kids are teenagers and wanting their own space. It's never ending, it's like no matter what your situation you're still at the mercy of the landlords or the banks!
I wouldn’t say it’s the only drawback, it’s much cheaper to buy in the end. My mortgage payments on a 3 bed house are less than my rent on a 1 bed flat.

I guess you are at the mercy of the banks of you live off loans and credit.

I wouldn’t say it’s the only drawback, it’s much cheaper to buy in the end. My mortgage payments on a 3 bed house are less than my rent on a 1 bed flat.

I guess you are at the mercy of the banks of you live off loans and credit.
Well you're at the mercy of the banks if you have an unexpected change of circumstances and can't make your repayments. I know someone who couldn't make her repayments after her husband's suicide and she lost the family home 😢

Also it depends where you live, where I live it's definitely much cheaper to rent than buy. In an ideal world I'd buy and be able to make my home my own but until then there's nothing wrong with renting!

Well you're at the mercy of the banks if you have an unexpected change of circumstances and can't make your repayments. I know someone who couldn't make her repayments after her husband's suicide and she lost the family home 😢

Also it depends where you live, where I live it's definitely much cheaper to rent than buy. In an ideal world I'd buy and be able to make my home my own but until then there's nothing wrong with renting!
I never said there was, I think both options suit people, but sadly where I live renting is very expensive and it’s always cheaper to buy if you can get the deposit together.

I appreciate that circumstance change, but they makes no odds if you rent or buy but with buying there are more options (remortgage, payment holiday etc) which you don’t get in renting. That is an awful position for that person to be in, but that’s what such things as life insurance is for. Most policies pay out after the first 12 months for suicide.

it’s always cheaper to buy if you can get the deposit together.
That's not the case here with today's prices. Even with the ultra low interest rates it's cheaper to rent than a standard rayment mortgage once you factor in basic maintenance.

Plus there's the fact that a mortgage is a long term repayment so God knows what the future holds so no one really knows.

That's not the case here with today's prices. Even with the ultra low interest rates it's cheaper to rent than a standard rayment mortgage once you factor in basic maintenance.

Plus there's the fact that a mortgage is a long term repayment so God knows what the future holds so no one really knows.
I think the difficulty with the whole rent/buy debate lies on future income, specifically in retirement. Many people won’t have a sufficient pension income, and state pension could cease to exist if the politicians continue to bleed the country dry, so home ownership potentially reduces outgoings in retirement to give you some relative security.

State pension is around £8k per year and not enough to rent property and maintain it, especially at the rate rents and cost of living will continue to rise.

There are definitely pros and cons to both, but I’d rather own a home outright by the time I retire so that my private and (hopefully) state pensions can afford me a decent enough standard of living that means I don’t need to rely on credit. I’d also like to leave that financial asset to my kids as I think by the time mine are grown home ownership will be a huge expense. I save every month for my own future but I also save separately for theirs because of the way things are going.

The housing market can’t be sustained at this sort of level much longer, houses are exponentially increasing in price and salaries aren’t increasing at the same rate so something will have to give. We need a government shake up.

Purely anecdotal. I requested via Rightmove to view a one bed flat Brighton area. No sooner had I sent the request when the phone rang from the agents.
Usually they’ll get back to you later in the day not 10 seconds later.

Totally depends where you live. Rental properties here if you need more than 2 bedrooms are in really high demand so landlords can charge a premium. My mortgage is less than half what my rent was. V similar properties too. Same builders built both houses back in the day. Leaves us more than enough money per month to maintain it.

There needs to be more social housing, more security in renting, more freedom to decorate and have pets. Living in someones investment doesnt feel like a home when in many cases people cant decorate and cant settle as they know they can be evicted with not much notice.

• Heart
There are so many pros and cons to both renting and buying, it really depends on an individual’s circumstances and what they place more importance on. There’s not right or wrong path. What suits one person doesn’t suit another.

Reactions: 7
There are so many pros and cons to both renting and buying, it really depends on an individual’s circumstances and what they place more importance on. There’s not right or wrong path. What suits one person doesn’t suit another.
This exactly.

Mixed in with a very uncertain future especially with the changes covid brought forward and white collar jobs rapidly being replaced by algorithms. The lessons of the past do not alway hold true for the future.

Same, I have both rented and own, and my rent for my room share in a house in north London is less then my half of mortgage for new 3 bed house in Essex! It’s mental

It's so frustrating. Although it's a very mixed up world where owning is far cheaper per month than renting (and IR aren't rising anytime soon!).

It should have never been made so easy for people to never sell their house when they move and just switch it to a buy to let then remortgage that to use as the deposit on the next place. It's a pyramid scheme, but it makes the financial institutions a lot of money by selling these products and keeping prices sky high.

Taxes on buy to let should have come in decades ago, but many MPs (including Tony Blair) had bought a shed load of them to feather their own nest. So carried on brewing up toxic problems. Homes under the hammer and kirsty & Phil have a lot to answer for!
Not sure i agree about it being a mixed up world where owning is cheaper than renting. It makes sense to me. You pay a premium because you dont take on the risks/rewards of ownership for example. You also (sometimes) dont have to pay bills/council tax etc. You also have the flexibility to leave the property much more easily - you dont have to sell you just have to give notice.

Owning on the other hand might be cheaper per month, but that is largely because of the significant deposit that you need to put down first.

Reactions: 5
I’ve always had to pay bills and council tax I’ve been renting for near on 10 years. I don’t think that’s very common anymore, maybe in a house share situation but most people renting a house or flat will be paying all their bills themselves like everyone else.

You pay a premium because you dont take on the risks/rewards of ownership for example.
That somewhat assumes all properties are owned by buy to let people with a debt to service.

In reality that's a recent thing and many properties used to be owned outright bought years ago by old money.

Buy to let is the dream for many because it's seen as a money printing machine for the masses.

Reactions: 6
Weve been looking for the past year and the house prices round here have trebled in price in the past year alone. Some of the houses on the worst street can go for between 5k-10k usually (awful houses damp with the copper pipes ripped out by criminals etc) are now priced at 50k+ that's how mad the prices have shot up recently.
We have been given a decision in principle for upto £110k which for our earnings is fair but I'd never be able to justify the house youd get for that price at the moment. So it looks like we will be continuing to rent for another couple of years until the madness ends. It was difficult enough for us to manage to raise the deposit that we have and get a decision in principle as it is without then having the rug pulled under us with the state of the market currently. Its disheartening. No sooner is something listed that its been sold. Literally within hours. First time buyers just stand no chance at the minute it's all being snapped up by investors

• Heart
Not sure i agree about it being a mixed up world where owning is cheaper than renting. It makes sense to me. You pay a premium because you dont take on the risks/rewards of ownership for example. You also (sometimes) dont have to pay bills/council tax etc. You also have the flexibility to leave the property much more easily - you dont have to sell you just have to give notice.

Owning on the other hand might be cheaper per month, but that is largely because of the significant deposit that you need to put down first.
Where in a rented property wouldn’t you have to pay council or bills?!!! Have you ever rented before?!!!! if you rent your home you are not exempt from paying bills - you still have to pay council tax, utility bills etc as you would if you owned the property. The only exception perhaps would be for students (who don’t have to pay council tax) or people living in a house share rental where they will pay a proportion of all bills combined with rent - rather than having their own separate household bills in their own name.

Reactions: 7
It's not unheard of for people with houses in more costly areas to move to a house in a 'cheaper' area to unlock cash . I know a few people who's parents have moved from the 'posh' estates to an ex-council or small terrace when they've retired.
( I've searched the sold prices on right move) .

We get them sometimes but they are usually from those companies that buy your house at less than market value.

Or schemes to part ex for a new build.
Yes it is very common in the boomer generation. Especially because retirement funds are next to nothing compared to what some people may have been accostumed to.

I am looking to buy next year and I am saving like crazy (between 500-800€ per month). However the houses are either out of reach by A LOT (they start at 250k) or they are less expensive (50-150k) but you need at least 100k to renovate them. Which is problematic considering that the bank will lend you up to 3.5 times your income only. So your mortgage may not even cover the asking price nor the closing fees.

We have this problem in Ireland where people would love to buy old houses and renovate them but they simply can't due to the renovation being as expensive if not twice the price of the house.

I don't have a single friend who owns a house and all of use work in STEM earning from 30-60k. We are living in weird times.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.