House Prices #4 Property market, buying and selling

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:

Yel

I'd see this as good news. In other countries where house prices are not so out of sync with wages it's the norm to sign up for a long mortgage.

It makes sense as the prices depend on how expensive it is to borrow money. So many have taken out huge debt based on the old days of near 0 interest rates.

--

Record demand for 35-YEAR mortgages as rates keep rising: Proportion of first-time buyers taking out lengthy loans doubles in just two years amid fears of debt timebomb

Reactions: 1
I'd see this as good news. In other countries where house prices are not so out of sync with wages it's the norm to sign up for a long mortgage.

It makes sense as the prices depend on how expensive it is to borrow money. So many have taken out huge debt based on the old days of near 0 interest rates.

--

Record demand for 35-YEAR mortgages as rates keep rising: Proportion of first-time buyers taking out lengthy loans doubles in just two years amid fears of debt timebomb
Considering you remortgage every 2/5 years, the initial term doesn’t really matter at all and people fixate on it way too much.

Mines 38 years and people always seem horrified when I tell them that. But interest rates may drop, mine and my partners salary may increase, and we can easily reduce the term to adjust for that or make overpayments if we want.

We’ve deliberately gone for a longer term that allows us to have a good amount of disposable income per month, as well as allowing us to put approx £500 a month in savings for an emergency fund. It’s just the sensible option.

Reactions: 9

Yel

D'yknow what I totally misunderstood that headline :LOL:

I thought it was people fixing for 35 years. People in other countries with sane housing markets fix for the entire term which I think is sensible. This jumping every 2-5 years is a very risky game.

As many of those who fixed 2 years ago for 0.5% are going to find out as their rate jumps to 5.5%

Reactions: 2
D'yknow what I totally misunderstood that headline :LOL:

I thought it was people fixing for 35 years. People in other countries with sane housing markets fix for the entire term which I think is sensible. This jumping every 2-5 years is a very risky game.

As many of those who fixed 2 years ago for 0.5% are going to find out as their rate jumps to 5.5%
I’ve always thought it strange that these longer fixes aren’t available as readily in the U.K. as they are in other places. In the US I’m pretty sure people often fix for their whole mortgage term.

Yel

They do in France also. It makes sense as when you buy it the price is very dependent on the rate.

Risky game taking something out for 40 years but only fixing for 2. But people like to take their chances aka gamble.

They do in France also. It makes sense as when you buy it the price is very dependent on the rate.

Risky game taking something out for 40 years but only fixing for 2. But people like to take their chances aka gamble.
I guess the the issue with these longer terms is that they would have a much larger impact on house prices when the rate increases. If I had to fix for my whole term, I wouldn’t have bought when I did, and would’ve instead waited to see if rates dropped.
the government and banks will use any means to prop up the U.K. house market I guess.

Yel

halifax index now showing falls

---
I guess the the issue with these longer terms is that they would have a much larger impact on house prices when the rate increases. If I had to fix for my whole term, I wouldn’t have bought when I did, and would’ve instead waited to see if rates dropped.
the government and banks will use any means to prop up the U.K. house market I guess.
Agree, it can't suddenly switch from one system to the other. Should have been gently reformed over many years rather than leading us to where wer are today. But there's no interest in long term and sustainability.

Looks like these people bought a second home in East London on an interest only mortgage that has risen from 1% to 5%. From the sounds of it they've been letting it out on air b&b but are now trying to sell it.

They say they're waiting for rates to drop and calling the current rates mind boggling. The current rates are the return to the norm imo. They could be waiting years for rates to drop, and I doubt they're dropping back to the 1% they had before.

Not suprised they've not had any offers, could get a second bedroom for that price.

Reactions: 3
Zero sympathy for second home owners, especially when it’s used as an airbnb - investments always involve risk and that’s the gamble they made 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 20
Homes should be a home. Not an investment, it's causing untold misery.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Looks like these people bought a second home in East London on an interest only mortgage that has risen from 1% to 5%. From the sounds of it they've been letting it out on air b&b but are now trying to sell it.

They say they're waiting for rates to drop and calling the current rates mind boggling. The current rates are the return to the norm imo. They could be waiting years for rates to drop, and I doubt they're dropping back to the 1% they had before.

Not suprised they've not had any offers, could get a second bedroom for that price.

Shortly after I bought my first house, back in the 80’s, mortgage rates rose to nearly 15%. That is mind boggling!

• Wow
This is the most up to date earnings to house price graph I can find, it ends q1 2022.

All the free printed money and stamp duty holiday pushed things to the highest ratio ever seen.

It's totally unlike 2008 where they could drop rates and do loads of things to keep things sailing along, just about the opposite.

Screenshot_20230611_134546_Chrome.jpg

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.