House Prices #4 Property market, buying and selling

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m already out in the sticks and we all love it! Happy to continue being nomads we just need to find something affordable that hasn’t been snapped up by a developer already, would love to hear what the pricing is like around the country as here is a bit of a goldfish bowl and it’s nice to get a reality check
I'm always surprised by how cheap Somerset is in comparison to Dorset.

Reactions: 1
I’m already out in the sticks and we all love it! Happy to continue being nomads we just need to find something affordable that hasn’t been snapped up by a developer already, would love to hear what the pricing is like around the country as here is a bit of a goldfish bowl and it’s nice to get a reality check
Have you thought about Northern Scotland? You can get really beautiful properties for a couple of hundred thousand. If you’re ok being a bit ‘away from it all’ it could work?!

Reactions: 2
I'm in the outskirts of Edinburgh and we're wanting to move to the Lothians for more space and for better schools. Our four bed detached is currently valued at £360k and to get something similar prices go from around £450k to over £1mil. Plots of land do come up for sale but they're usually pricey or random bits of greenery between other buildings. We can't work fully remotely and like having the option of still being able to get to the city so that's stopping us going further north. Would love to move to the Cairngorms but still looking at £400-600k for a smaller property.

Reactions: 1
I was hoping people would say an area alongside budget to showcase the differences across the country
We're very tentatively hoping to move from a 3 bed to a 4 bed next Spring or soon after when our mortgage deal runs out.

We're South West/borderline Midlands and prices range from £260k for a 4 bed in a very dodgy local city to £900k in the town near our village for a similar sized property in a very fancy area with lots of private schools around it. I won't say which cities/towns but anyone in this area can probably guess (please don't, I don't want to dox myself XD) In our village itself it can range from £330k ish for a 4 bed to an easy £600k. Recently a developer bought an abandoned car garage, built 5 terraced 3 bed houses on it with no front gardens, shared parking and tiny back gardens and all of them sold for between 500k and 600k. It feels sometimes like round here people just decide on the day what a property is worth and the deduction is based on what way the estate agent drove to work that morning.

In my parents and in-laws area, the Home Counties, again properties can sell for anything between £390k to £900k for a 4 bed. The house prices in my birth city are particularly disgustingly high - recently a 2 bed maisonette sold there for a hair over £725k. Because it's just outside of London and has good train links people from London come out, look at the house prices and think "Oh, I could pay £500k for a 1 bed flat in London or I could buy a 3 bed house here for £500k, I know what I'll do".

Have you thought about Northern Scotland? You can get really beautiful properties for a couple of hundred thousand. If you’re ok being a bit ‘away from it all’ it could work?!
I’m ashamed to say that whilst I adore Scotland I hadn’t considered them as a place to live, but only as the EHCP for my son may be tricky to transfer; I shall do some research!
---
We're very tentatively hoping to move from a 3 bed to a 4 bed next Spring or soon after when our mortgage deal runs out.

We're South West/borderline Midlands and prices range from £260k for a 4 bed in a very dodgy local city to £900k in the town near our village for a similar sized property in a very fancy area with lots of private schools around it. I won't say which cities/towns but anyone in this area can probably guess (please don't, I don't want to dox myself XD) In our village itself it can range from £330k ish for a 4 bed to an easy £600k. Recently a developer bought an abandoned car garage, built 5 terraced 3 bed houses on it with no front gardens, shared parking and tiny back gardens and all of them sold for between 500k and 600k. It feels sometimes like round here people just decide on the day what a property is worth and the deduction is based on what way the estate agent drove to work that morning.

In my parents and in-laws area, the Home Counties, again properties can sell for anything between £390k to £900k for a 4 bed. The house prices in my birth city are particularly disgustingly high - recently a 2 bed maisonette sold there for a hair over £725k. Because it's just outside of London and has good train links people from London come out, look at the house prices and think "Oh, I could pay £500k for a 1 bed flat in London or I could buy a 3 bed house here for £500k, I know what I'll do".
That is exactly what’s happening here! We have had a bunch of London contractors, celebrities and footballers come up from the south in recent years who see the prices and think they’re reasonable, it’s perpetuating the cycle as unfortunately things then sell at crazy prices and they’re pricing out younger local families as a result.

I was always told to buy the smallest house in the nicest area which is what we did, but we’re in desperate need of an extra bedroom and the plot has nowhere to extend so we feel like we have no choice but to leave 🥺

Last edited:
Hoping someone can help.

Neighbour is selling their house. There’s a bit of open garden between our terraced houses, of which 95% is owned by myself. Heard neighbour on security camera saying “I don’t think next door would mind. They’re in the building trade” and then saw someone walk up the boundary. They were on about fitting two cars on a single space and I’m wondering if he’s basically told them you can pull my land up and I won’t mind?

Anyway, before a house sale goes through would a prospective buyer see a red line drawing? Because I dont trust my neighbour to be telling the truth and I wouldn’t want a new neighbour thinking they own something when they don’t.

Anyway, before a house sale goes through would a prospective buyer see a red line drawing? Because I dont trust my neighbour to be telling the truth and I wouldn’t want a new neighbour thinking they own something when they don’t.
yeah, they absolutely would. When you saw the papers when you bought (if you’re not renting or whatever) was the boundary clear on your end?

yeah, they absolutely would. When you saw the papers when you bought (if you’re not renting or whatever) was the boundary clear on your end?
Ah fab. Yeah I did, clear as day. I bought new so wasn’t sure if it was the same for a second hand purchase. It also showed the yellow area for shared access on the private drive.

I would love to know what he was 100% alluding to by saying we wouldn’t mind and that we work for builders. But, not my circus not my monkeys and would he tell the truth?

shame really, I thought we all got on but he didnt even let us know he was moving.

Ah fab. Yeah I did, clear as day. I bought new so wasn’t sure if it was the same for a second hand purchase. It also showed the yellow area for shared access on the private drive.

I would love to know what he was 100% alluding to by saying we wouldn’t mind and that we work for builders. But, not my circus not my monkeys and would he tell the truth?

shame really, I thought we all got on but he didnt even let us know he was moving.
ah you’re golden then! Hopefully if they are decent buyers and they get a good conveyancer then this would come up in the process and the seller would come unstuck. That seller needs to be careful for misrepresentation, though!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.