Home decor ideas/ furniture/ making our homes into lush cosy palaces!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I bought a teal fabric bed…fell in love with it in the shop but I’m really struggling with the rest of my bedroom decor now. My wardrobes are white and grey and my walls are pale shell colour. Everything looks out of place now. Any suggestions for wall colours and bedding colours?
I think it will depend on what shade of teal though. Is it dark or light? Light tends to go with greys and silvers and darker looks good with golds and creams.

Reactions: 2
How does everyone conceal kids toys? We have an ikea kallax unit which I'm going to paint to match our furniture and change the buckets to a white (instead of the primary colours they are now) but I still hate it. My youngest is only 2 so I still need to have all his crap in the room.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
How does everyone conceal kids toys? We have an ikea kallax unit which I'm going to paint to match our furniture and change the buckets to a white (instead of the primary colours they are now) but I still hate it. My youngest is only 2 so I still need to have all his crap in the room.
I don’t think there is an ideal way to do it. H&M have loads of bucket/ storage basket things that are very cute:

Attachments

Reactions: 4
I bought a teal fabric bed…fell in love with it in the shop but I’m really struggling with the rest of my bedroom decor now. My wardrobes are white and grey and my walls are pale shell colour. Everything looks out of place now. Any suggestions for wall colours and bedding colours?
A lot depends on the room size, light and your personal style, but if in doubt then pull from patterned fabrics that include your colour, so for example, depending on the teal you have the attached suggests you could pull in navy blues, lighter blue/greens and greens, creams and whites and some warmer pops of a pinky red. Use that fabric as an accent (a cushion, a chair etc) and pull in other fabrics with texture or pattern for interest for soft furnishings.

Personally I would always stick to white for bedding, particularly with such a strong bed colour but then add a bedspread or throw and cushions for interest. I think it's classier than patterned bedding and also allows you to style it up easier.

Personally I hate most white wardrobes or wardrobes which stick out visually, it screams utility in a room you want to be calming. Mine are painted the same as our bedroom wall colour to try and make them disappear visually a little bit, they're floor to ceiling (an IKEA Pax hack which makes them look built in) and if they were white they would definitely bring the room in and make it feel smaller.

Screenshot_20220911-142637_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: 4
It’s a very dark teal. Thanks for the tips I love the idea of painting the wardrobes to match the walls!

Reactions: 2
We use an ottoman

Reactions: 3
fell into a pinterest hole and think these could work! maybe it's bc my taste is a bit more maximalist but i do like a monochromatic dark room. deciding if you want warm or cool colours is probs the first step. teal naturally lends itself to other jewel tones (mustard, burgundy, emerald, navy, rust etc) too.

1662920783653.png

1662922337001.png

Reactions: 7
fell into a pinterest hole and think these could work! maybe it's bc my taste is a bit more maximalist but i do like a monochromatic dark room. deciding if you want warm or cool colours is probs the first step. teal naturally lends itself to other jewel tones (mustard, burgundy, emerald, navy, rust etc) too.

View attachment 1571531

View attachment 1571598
Thank you for these. I’ve been doing similar all day. I think I’m going to paint the walls darker and go for the monochromatic look. Need to find a paint colour now!

Has anyone got any ideas for me? I want to decorate my living room, it’s painted apple white at the moment- was like this when we moved in.

I’d like to paint the wall behind the fireplace something like stiffkey blue & then a neutral colour on the other walls, but my furniture is hemnes in grey (ikea don’t make it in this colour any more ) & my sofas are black.

If I didn’t have grey furniture I’d accessorise with gold or copper but don’t think it’ll go together. Or shall I just forget this & choose something else?

edited to add looking at bingo bingo’s post maybe a dark teal would be a better idea🤔

edited again to say sorry knives and flowers too! 🙂

Last edited:
Has anyone got any ideas for me? I want to decorate my living room, it’s painted apple white at the moment- was like this when we moved in.

I’d like to paint the wall behind the fireplace something like stiffkey blue & then a neutral colour on the other walls, but my furniture is hemnes in grey (ikea don’t make it in this colour any more ) & my sofas are black.

If I didn’t have grey furniture I’d accessorise with gold or copper but don’t think it’ll go together. Or shall I just forget this & choose something else?

edited to add looking at bingo bingo’s post maybe a dark teal would be a better idea🤔

What about painting the furniture with something like rustoleum or Frenchic? Would give a refresh and more flexibility on paint colours x

What about painting the furniture with something like rustoleum or Frenchic? Would give a refresh and more flexibility on paint colours x
Please don’t use Rustoleum, it ruined a chest of drawers we have and no amount of sanding ever restored it to a usable state!

As a stiffkey blue painter I can recommend that! Re the sofa, you can get nice sofa covers pretty cheaply these days- have a Google. Stiffkey blue looks lovely with copper and gold accents.

Re the blue/ grey thing, my friend has had a kitchen extension with bifold doors done and everything is painted a mixture of stiffkey blue and pale grey- it looks fab.

• Heart

I would paint the furniture with frenchic x

With black sofas I'd be inclined more towards green than a dark blue to be honest, maybe Card Room Green or Green Smoke. I tend to think the combination works better. Alternatively, go lighter on the green, maybe Teresa's Green or similar, and paint the whole room.

• Heart
I need to paint the back of my front door. It's currently a disgusting dark brown colour. Would I use chalk paint or something else?

What is your door made of?
It's an old wooden type door. I'm having to have my doorway widened and obviously a new door in the near future but for now want to brighten it up as everything else is very light and bright and there's this dark manky door that looks like something Fred Flinstone would of had on the front of his house.

I need to paint the back of my front door. It's currently a disgusting dark brown colour. Would I use chalk paint or something else?
I’m going to paint mine, it’s not upvc & not wood not quite sure what it is tbh. On the outside I used an undercoat & then gloss.