Holly Gabrielle

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Not sure how to directly reply yet haha, but your idea fwooper about her only wanting to eat the "purest" and "cleanest" form of the vegetable definitely has merit, given how it is also how her family eats and we know their views on taking medications etc. It could be definitely a form of perfectionism. Honestly her and her family's food reminds me of those jokes about how the British colonised the world for spices and then never used any.
I wonder if her weird food combos are also due to just growing up with such bland food and thus doesn't know what spices and flavours go together?

Reactions: 12
Video up 10 mins ago, she did get into UCL. Notice was only for subsequent applications. (did think it was pushing it a bit time-wise though)

• Wow
Reactions: 4
Video up 10 mins ago, she did get into UCL. Notice was only for subsequent applications. (did think it was pushing it a bit time-wise though)
I'm really surprised tbh. Pretty sure having Cambridge on her application booted her up the priority list.

I don't think it's surprising she got in, I'd be shocked if she didn't. Masters degrees are cash cows for UK universities, so the offer rate is fairly high (with exceptions for some highly competitive courses). Even without that, she got top in her year in Cambridge - unless she submitted a terrible personal statement then I don't see why she would be rejected from the course, competitive or not. Courses like this are designed to be suitable for people who are fresh from undergrad so they'd never expect you to have a huge amount of experience specific to the course.

Reactions: 8
I suppose, but by now I would have expected the course to be full. Universities don't necessarily have caps on places, but given it was very popular...

In comparison to some masters it isn't massively popular (80 applications a year). Their capacity might even be bigger this year as most teaching will be online and they'll want that ££££.

Reactions: 1
In comparison to some masters it isn't massively popular (80 applications a year). Their capacity might even be bigger this year as most teaching will be online and they'll want that ££££.
Plus, with the potential for classes to be online etc they may be able to take a larger cohort. Everything of mine is online this year (architecture degree online will be fun.... joy), so yeah maybe that could be the case

Reactions: 2
If we didn't know more about her home life I'd assume she was brought up in an EXTREMELY strict religious family? What 22 year old is so protected she makes a 20 minute long video about just talking to some men?
To be fair I never had friends that were boys, even now I don’t really know how to be friends/talk to boys in a friendship way, because my mum is quite strictly religious and I wasn’t allowed friends that were boys, my mum doesn’t like that I live with my boyfriend even now at 25 🙄

Reactions: 1
And you guys never believed in her....
Like I have said before getting a place on the course isn’t the hard part. The hard part is trying to get published, balancing intense labs and networking. That’s why the majority of Msc students for this course don’t do a PHD or get a job in this field. Because it is more competitive than getting onto the course.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
I’m low key happy for the studytube content to come
It will be the same routine. Her alone in her flat, eating boiled unseasoned veg. Doing 3 seconds of stretches on a yoga mat. Spending 800990 hours sending one email. ‘Studying’ for 14 hours when she could have finished her notes in 4 hours. But no, she has to drag it out for productivity

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
I hate how Holly acts like UCL took FOREVER to get back to her and how she put SO much effort into her applications. She literally started applying for masters like a few months ago, and applied for this MSc Cancer at the last minute. Many of us and international students started applying for multiple masters programmes in 2019 already and waited months for replies! She thinks things should just fall into her lap, and if they don't, then it's the wrong path and she must change immediately

• Heart
Reactions: 9
It will be the same routine. Her alone in her flat, eating boiled unseasoned veg. Doing 3 seconds of stretches on a yoga mat. Spending 800990 hours sending one email. ‘Studying’ for 14 hours when she could have finished her notes in 4 hours. But no, she has to drag it out for productivity
it made me so sad when i heard her saying "stay tune for stressful, hectic videos of me preparing for this course, getting ready, organising everything, studying again, preparing for that...oh my God it's gonna be CRAZY" because it's going to be the same exact routines she has followed during her life at cambridge or at home during lockdown

i haven't seen anyone comment this but what do you think about her mum's reaction to the offer? it was a bit odd as well wasn't it? "well done thought you would do" and that was it?? and not even his brother knew about the UCL application? i know that they are not very close but why wouldn't he know about the application? it's just....odd.

it made me so sad when i heard her saying "stay tune for stressful, hectic videos of me preparing for this course, getting ready, organising everything, studying again, preparing for that...oh my God it's gonna be CRAZY" because it's going to be the same exact routines she has followed during her life at cambridge or at home during lockdown

i haven't seen anyone comment this but what do you think about her mum's reaction to the offer? it was a bit odd as well wasn't it? "well done thought you would do" and that was it?? and not even his brother knew about the UCL application? i know that they are not very close but why wouldn't he know about the application? it's just....odd.
Yeah, I hate when studytubers think it's relatable to constantly complain about their course/workload etc. If it's that bad, they wouldn't be doing it.

Tbh, my family don't gush about achievements, so I didn't see anything wrong with it. I guess they may also have very high standards, or perhaps they don't really care...?

I guess complaining is the go to thing to do for most people so they feel like they fit in. Holly is clearly very able and very clever on the academic front, but she’s clearly trying to play it down (but also coming across as very entitled at the same time- constantly expecting a response etc).

And it’s just going to be the same content!!! I want to see Holly mature and grow. I don’t want to see her fall back into Cambridge routines and constant ‘productivity’ without seeing anyone. I want to see her make friends, chat to people, watch films, chill out on her bed on her phone, go outdoors for reasons other than running (because that’s productive too.....). She needs to redefine productivity for herself this year. She needs to really think about how she will cope in the real world if all she seems to do is isolate herself and work!!!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Tbh, my family don't gush about achievements, so I didn't see anything wrong with it. I guess they may also have very high standards, or perhaps they don't really care...?
Same,

Holly is an oversharer and if I were living with her it would drive me mad.

I really do think her parents act normal considering she is shoving a camera in their face every day.

I hate how Holly acts like UCL took FOREVER to get back to her and how she put SO much effort into her applications. She literally started applying for masters like a few months ago, and applied for this MSc Cancer at the last minute. Many of us and international students started applying for multiple masters programmes in 2019 already and waited months for replies! She thinks things should just fall into her lap, and if they don't, then it's the wrong path and she must change immediately
I applied for a phd scholarship program in Australia last year 2019 and it literally took a full year to receive the offer letter. The wait was excruciating...

I guess complaining is the go to thing to do for most people so they feel like they fit in. Holly is clearly very able and very clever on the academic front, but she’s clearly trying to play it down (but also coming across as very entitled at the same time- constantly expecting a response etc).

And it’s just going to be the same content!!! I want to see Holly mature and grow. I don’t want to see her fall back into Cambridge routines and constant ‘productivity’ without seeing anyone. I want to see her make friends, chat to people, watch films, chill out on her bed on her phone, go outdoors for reasons other than running (because that’s productive too.....). She needs to redefine productivity for herself this year. She needs to really think about how she will cope in the real world if all she seems to do is isolate herself and work!!!
yeah i hope she changes up her content a bit. Not quite into the whole "study with me for xx hours" videos but I'm looking forward to see if there's any lab vlogs? Networking, going to conferences, talking about science/her project, etc. These will be extremely helpful if she's interested to apply for a phd program in the future.

Thread suggestion: Holly Gabrielle #2 The running girl, time to call in the white coats, master of boiled unseasoned veg!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.