Health anxiety #4

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
And another thing freaking me out. Got blood test results back and while my platelets are fine now, now my eosinophils are low. Anyone had that before?
Yes I had this! But it was my neutrophils I think? But mine wee as possibly related to the radio iodine treatment I had for thyroid cancer, and by the next blood test they’d gone back to normal!

Anyone else had this bad cold/flu that’s going around? 🤧😷 waking up in the morning damp from night sweats and my glands are more swollen than usual for when I’m ill…

Reactions: 2
Hi, was looking for a bit of advice & hoping someone here could help or relate. For about 3 months now I’ve had a pain in my chest. I’m really not sure if it’s my heart or my boob, but it’s not a sharp pain, more like when I breathe in I feel it or when I cough.
I’ve checked my breasts for anything out of the ordinary & can’t feel anything.
I’ve been trying to get a GP appointment for weeks now but our medical centre is appalling & I just can’t get one. It’s making me feel quite anxious, which probably isn’t helping the matter, but I’m just scared I have something wrong with my heart.
Has anyone experienced anything like this before?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, was looking for a bit of advice & hoping someone here could help or relate. For about 3 months now I’ve had a pain in my chest. I’m really not sure if it’s my heart or my boob, but it’s not a sharp pain, more like when I breathe in I feel it or when I cough.
I’ve been trying to get a GP appointment for weeks now but our medical centre is appalling & I just can’t get one. It’s making me feel quite anxious, which probably isn’t helping the matter, but I’m just scared I have something wrong with my heart.
It might be this

My friend had this and they recommended she get a proper fitted bra which helped.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
It might be this

My friend had this and they recommended she get a proper fitted bra which helped.
Oh wow thank you so much for this. It sounds exactly like this. I’m very guilty of not wearing a bra very often 🤦🏻‍♀️ & I have quite large breasts so could definitely be something in that! Thanks so much

Second the costochondritis or alternatively, depending of how often and when exactly the symptoms come on, it could be a hiatal hernia.

• Heart
Put under spoiler incase of triggering any one.

I've been referred for a chest x-ray and I'm feeling incredibly anxious. Since last year I've had an intermittent wheeze in my left lung if I go to sleep on my back. If I go to sleep on my front it's fine. I'll cough, and the wheeze will clear. I noticed recently it sometimes happens if I take a deep breath in. Not everytime though. Not when I breath normally, or when I exercise. I thought it might be to do with my chronic post-nasal drip that I've been waiting for a hospital appointment for. It's been happening since last summer, maybe even a bit before that.

Anyway, I've had a cough for a week (thanks kids) and coughing up yellow mucus with specks of blood. Only a couple of times and only a very small amount but enough that I called the GP yesterday and after I described the wheeze too she put me straight in for an x-ray (ex-smoker). Also got some antibiotics to clear up a potential chest infection.

Really terrified about what it could be, the waiting on test results etc. My son had a chest x-ray before Christmas so I know no news is good news which is probably worse, and the thought of it being something like cancer is making me feel physically ill. I don't suppose anyone has had anything similar and it turned out okay?

The other thing is... My husband is usually my rock but I freaked out about one of my kids having an issue with something else over the bank holiday weekend and he says he's struggling to cope with my health anxiety. I've had CBT for generalised anxiety but the techniques do not help me with this aspect. My kids were very ill a couple of times when younger (resus/multiple hospital stays) and a lot of my anxiety now I think stems from this— everything automatically is a worst case scenario— but also I had panic attacks as a teen from my anxiety around health too so I've definitely struggled for a long while.

I don't know how to make myself less anxious and now feel like I need to bottle things up as my husband can't/doesn't want to entertain it. He tends to rationalise things for me which very much helps but there's been a lot lately and he just can't cope with it any longer 😔 Any ideas? I hate it too.

• Heart
@cakefood first of all, sending you good thoughts. You're going through a lot of things, so give yourself a big hug (mentally or literally if that feels like something you want to do).

When I'm spiralling with the health anxiety a few things work for me, but sometimes none of them do.

Sometimes I'll actually indulge in the spiral and be like, okay, let's say that it really is Worst Case Scenario. What then? And make a list of everything that would need to be done/would probably happen/would scare me. Seeing it written down, and actually writing it down, can take power away from it. I can sometimes then see the extremely unlikely scenarios for what they are. Or resize my fears.

Sometimes I'll act tough with my anxiety and be like, okay so what? If I'm dying and dying and why wouldn't it be me? And sometimes that helps.

The thing is that without your husband to talk things through you might also need another outlet. Is there a friend or relative who could play in the role your husband usually does with your anxiety? Like if he listens, a friend who'll listen. If he offers solutions, a friend who'll do that.

Alternatively, if it's within your budget/if it's feasible with your health insurance, seek a professional. You mention you've done CBT for generalized anxiety disorder but that it doesn't work for your health anxiety. Perhaps seek a different type of therapy to see if they have more tools for you. I've done hypnotherapy with a licensed psychiatrist and it's helped with my health anxiety, but I know others have benefitted from psychotherapy, etc.

Put under spoiler incase of triggering any one.

I've been referred for a chest x-ray and I'm feeling incredibly anxious. Since last year I've had an intermittent wheeze in my left lung if I go to sleep on my back. If I go to sleep on my front it's fine. I'll cough, and the wheeze will clear. I noticed recently it sometimes happens if I take a deep breath in. Not everytime though. Not when I breath normally, or when I exercise. I thought it might be to do with my chronic post-nasal drip that I've been waiting for a hospital appointment for. It's been happening since last summer, maybe even a bit before that.

Anyway, I've had a cough for a week (thanks kids) and coughing up yellow mucus with specks of blood. Only a couple of times and only a very small amount but enough that I called the GP yesterday and after I described the wheeze too she put me straight in for an x-ray (ex-smoker). Also got some antibiotics to clear up a potential chest infection.

Really terrified about what it could be, the waiting on test results etc. My son had a chest x-ray before Christmas so I know no news is good news which is probably worse, and the thought of it being something like cancer is making me feel physically ill. I don't suppose anyone has had anything similar and it turned out okay?

The other thing is... My husband is usually my rock but I freaked out about one of my kids having an issue with something else over the bank holiday weekend and he says he's struggling to cope with my health anxiety. I've had CBT for generalised anxiety but the techniques do not help me with this aspect. My kids were very ill a couple of times when younger (resus/multiple hospital stays) and a lot of my anxiety now I think stems from this— everything automatically is a worst case scenario— but also I had panic attacks as a teen from my anxiety around health too so I've definitely struggled for a long while.

I don't know how to make myself less anxious and now feel like I need to bottle things up as my husband can't/doesn't want to entertain it. He tends to rationalise things for me which very much helps but there's been a lot lately and he just can't cope with it any longer 😔 Any ideas? I hate it too.
I’ve got something very similar. I also have severe and chronic post nasal drip (although my GP refuses to refer me to hospital grrrr) with regards to the blood- are you on a nasal spray for your post nasal drip? I am and that can cause nose bleeds etc that can filter down into your chest. Also if you cough too hard and too much that can cause blood too. I’ve been wheezing terribly today but because the pollen count is high and my post nasal drip is affected by that. Could that be the case with you maybe? I know how hard it can be. Fingers crossed for you x

Not a post I was wanting to make but I found a lump in my breast last week and after a trip to the GP today I’ve been referred to the breast clinic. She was very confident that it’s a fibroadenoma and as such I’ve been referred as “non urgent” so likely to be a bit of a wait to get an ultrasound. Obviously I am panicking and thinking the worst. I know breast referrals are pretty common so was hoping there may be some of you who have some experience and positive stories to share. My lump is smooth and mobile which she said was a good sign but a lump is a lump in my anxious mind and I worry how she can be so confident just from examining it

• Heart
I went to the doctor due to unexplained bleeding/very heavy periods/bleeding on and off etc, shes done an internal exam and mentioned fibroids? Shes referring me to gynocology and for an internal ultrasound. Has anyone had anything like this? I'm starting to worry, my last smear was 2 years ago and everything was normal
Ok so I've been told its over a year wait for my appointment which is just a VIDEO CALL.
From researching on the good old google, I'm starting to think possibly my symptoms from this are maybe linking in with bowel issues I'm having (confirmed no cancer).
At this point I'm tempted to just pay for a private consultation just to be heard and advised what the best course of action is. I'm just fed up of being in pain, and physically can't go over a year of waiting for an unknown

Ok so I've been told its over a year wait for my appointment which is just a VIDEO CALL.
From researching on the good old google, I'm starting to think possibly my symptoms from this are maybe linking in with bowel issues I'm having (confirmed no cancer).
At this point I'm tempted to just pay for a private consultation just to be heard and advised what the best course of action is. I'm just fed up of being in pain, and physically can't go over a year of waiting for an unknown
Honestly if you can afford it then I suggest going for it. The NHS is on its knees and this so what it's come too. I had 2 years waiting on NHS and got so fed up and worried myself sick... Ended up paying for an app, CT scan and follow up and had results, diagnosis and treatment plan in 6 days.

• Heart
Not a post I was wanting to make but I found a lump in my breast last week and after a trip to the GP today I’ve been referred to the breast clinic. She was very confident that it’s a fibroadenoma and as such I’ve been referred as “non urgent” so likely to be a bit of a wait to get an ultrasound. Obviously I am panicking and thinking the worst. I know breast referrals are pretty common so was hoping there may be some of you who have some experience and positive stories to share. My lump is smooth and mobile which she said was a good sign but a lump is a lump in my anxious mind and I worry how she can be so confident just from examining it
I'm in the same boat as you right now. I went last week to my GP. I would also be interested in positive stories!!

I went with breast pain that I've had on and off for 4 months, mostly when laying on it, or something pressing against it. When feeling the left breast last week, I noticed it is lumpier than the right. But my left breast has always been heavier and fuller than my right.

She has put increased lumpiness in left breast, but no palpable discrete lump felt. She put me on the 2ww referral to the Breast Clinic to rule out cancer, but I know this is standard practice as I work in a GP surgery. Any pain or changes in the breasts will always be referred for further investigation. But she said she feels it is likely hormonal/tissue by my symptoms.

I'm panicking though, as my health anxiety always goes to the worst case scenario. I've got an appointment through for the 25th which feels so far away. I'm debating finding a private clinic for an ultrasound.

I've spent the last week in a state.

In terms of your GP being confident, they probably examine hundreds of women for the same thing, and likely know exactly what they are looking and feeling for when it comes to Cancerous lumps.

Breast lumps, bumps, and pain are very common, and rarely lead to anything sinister. Please keep us updated. And try to relax. I know it is easier said than done. But it all sounds positive by non urgent aswell.

• Heart
I'm in the same boat as you right now. I went last week to my GP. I would also be interested in positive stories!!

I went with breast pain that I've had on and off for 4 months, mostly when laying on it, or something pressing against it. When feeling the left breast last week, I noticed it is lumpier than the right. But my left breast has always been heavier and fuller than my right.

She has put increased lumpiness in left breast, but no palpable discrete lump felt. She put me on the 2ww referral to the Breast Clinic to rule out cancer, but I know this is standard practice as I work in a GP surgery. Any pain or changes in the breasts will always be referred for further investigation. But she said she feels it is likely hormonal/tissue by my symptoms.

I'm panicking though, as my health anxiety always goes to the worst case scenario. I've got an appointment through for the 25th which feels so far away. I'm debating finding a private clinic for an ultrasound.

In terms of your GP being confident, they probably examine hundreds of women for the same thing, and likely know exactly what they are looking and feeling for when it comes to Cancerous lumps.

Breast lumps, bumps, and pain are very common, and rarely lead to anything sinister. Please keep us updated. And try to relax. I know it is easier said than done. But it all sounds positive by non urgent aswell.
after going through a huge HA episode after finding a lump (all fine), I’ve been very aware of any changes. Anyway, last year I randomly had extremely painful breasts and they just felt dense and lumpy. I went to my GP and she said although it’s very normal, it’s not normal for you so she recommended an ultrasound at the breast clinic. I was diagnosed with fibrocystic breast disease (sounds way worse than it is). It’s extremely common and after another month it completely went away. I have the odd month where it comes back but I know what it is so I can keep myself calm. I was also told that ‘pain’ rarely means cancer so try not to worry xx

• Heart
Honestly if you can afford it then I suggest going for it. The NHS is on its knees and this so what it's come too. I had 2 years waiting on NHS and got so fed up and worried myself sick... Ended up paying for an app, CT scan and follow up and had results, diagnosis and treatment plan in 6 days.
If you dont mind me asking roughly how much was yours? Inital consultations I've seen are around the £200 mark which is fine, but then with everything else on top I'm worried about it pilling up.

If you dont mind me asking roughly how much was yours? Inital consultations I've seen are around the £200 mark which is fine, but then with everything else on top I'm worried about it pilling up.
No problem!. £200 each for initial consult and result then the CT scan was around £550.

I had breast pain and wasn't referred. Apparently in my area the hospital won't accept referrals for just breast pain without other symptoms. However, it seems to have gone now anyway.

Deep breaths, you are going to be OK. The Dr's dont say things like 'fairly confident' lightly. If they had major concerns you would be fast tracked I am sure. As someone else says, your Dr has probably seen thousands of lumps and would have good insight into which ones are good lumps and which ones are not so much (my cousin's was a bad lump and the Dr sent her for an urgent biopsy the same day!).
The other thing to try and remember is, if caught early, even the dreaded breast cancer, is VERY treatable. i seriously dont think you need to worry about that but I know you won't until your appointment, as I would be the same!
---
Sounds more muscular and doesn't really present like a heart issue. I think, as someone else suggested, getting in a good bra is a great start. i get the same thing when Ive done a lot of exercise and its definitely muscular as took myself to the ER once as thought I was having a heart attack!

• Heart
Deep breaths, you are going to be OK. The Dr's dont say things like 'fairly confident' lightly. If they had major concerns you would be fast tracked I am sure. As someone else says, your Dr has probably seen thousands of lumps and would have good insight into which ones are good lumps and which ones are not so much (my cousin's was a bad lump and the Dr sent her for an urgent biopsy the same day!).
The other thing to try and remember is, if caught early, even the dreaded breast cancer, is VERY treatable. i seriously dont think you need to worry about that but I know you won't until your appointment, as I would be the same!
Thank you, you are right of course but it’s so hard to rationalise when it’s yourself! I actually have an appointment next week at the breast clinic, when she rang with the appointment she said they try to see even non urgent referrals within 2 weeks which I thought was excellent. I’ve been experiencing pain in that breast this week too so I’m glad I don’t have too long of a wait

• Heart
Thank you, you are right of course but it’s so hard to rationalise when it’s yourself! I actually have an appointment next week at the breast clinic, when she rang with the appointment she said they try to see even non urgent referrals within 2 weeks which I thought was excellent. I’ve been experiencing pain in that breast this week too so I’m glad I don’t have too long of a wait
I know it's a blanket response and but I am very high risk for breast cancer and see a Specialist every 6 months. She has said to me several times that pain generally isn't a BC symptom.

• Heart
Reactions: 3