Health anxiety #4

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi everyone,
Can anyone tell me exactly what a hygienist does to you please? How long is the actual bit in your mouth? Does it hurt during or after?
Hi, I've been going to a hygienist for years. It has got more painful for me over the years the worse my teeth have got. Due to gum disease I now have bone loss and loose teeth, so the cleaning is more painful. However, one Hygienist I had recommended I take 2 ibupofren an hour before my appointment and this does help.

It really depends on how much plaque you have. If it's your first appointment and you have gum disease then they might measure how many mm of gum you have and that can be a bit painful as it feels like they're inserting a needle into your gum. I'm not sure what it is they actually use. Then they remove the plaque with an electric scaler (not actually sure what the instrument is called) and you also have the water suction thing in your mouth. They always say raise your hand if you want them to stop. The worst thing for me is I tense up and this causes pain in my neck so I do ask them to stop every now and again. Depending on how much plaque you have I can't say how long it will take but mine takes a good 20 minutes. After they clean them they then polish them and that bit is a breeze.

Afterwards, you might still find it a bit painful but I would take some paracetomol.

Good luck!

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I quite like the hygienist, I have good teeth with no issues and minimal plaque. It takes about 20 mins and they scale and polish your teeth so they remove plaque and stains. It’s sometimes a bit unpleasant when there is a lot of liquid in your mouth and you want to swallow but they use the suction to minimalise this.

Ooooh gosh I'm starting to get really nervous for my appointment on Wednesday. I'm having to have a biopsy on a lump on my toe joint. It popped in November and has slowly come back. I've been waiting 3 weeks for the appointment and for the most part have been fine but now it's pretty close, I'm feeling really scared that it could be something horrendously bad 😬

Ooooh gosh I'm starting to get really nervous for my appointment on Wednesday. I'm having to have a biopsy on a lump on my toe joint. It popped in November and has slowly come back. I've been waiting 3 weeks for the appointment and for the most part have been fine but now it's pretty close, I'm feeling really scared that it could be something horrendously bad 😬
Have u any soreness stiff ness etc some Arthrits can cause lumps etc the pop and puss espically around joints

Have u any soreness stiff ness etc some Arthrits can cause lumps etc the pop and puss espically around joints
It's not sore or stiff, apart from when my toes get cold they can ache a bit but I did drop a large weight on the toe last year. I also have a habit of stubbing my toes and a dog that always jumps on my feet. (I have webbed toes as well so the joint it's on is the one that is connected which makes it hard to feel ant soreness in just that joint if that makes sense.) When it popped in November, a load of jelly like fluid came out.

It's kind of translucent as well - it looks like a big blister on my joint 😅 I remember when I first got it, I tried to pop it by pushing ontop of it and the feeling felt like if you crack your knuckles.

It's not sore or stiff, apart from when my toes get cold they can ache a bit but I did drop a large weight on the toe last year. I also have a habit of stubbing my toes and a dog that always jumps on my feet. (I have webbed toes as well so the joint it's on is the one that is connected which makes it hard to feel ant soreness in just that joint if that makes sense.) When it popped in November, a load of jelly like fluid came out.

It's kind of translucent as well - it looks like a big blister on my joint 😅 I remember when I first got it, I tried to pop it by pushing ontop of it and the feeling felt like if you crack your knuckles.
Honestly sounds like a myxoid cyst. If it keeps coming back they like to test these things as you could need antibiotics or to lance it to stop it coming back .

I have been doing so well. I'm on the evra contraception patch and had my bleed a week ago. Stopped bleeding 8 days ago . All fine.

This morning brown when I wipe, turned to red (not alot) then back to brown. Iv been using this contraception for 10 years.

2 years ago I had similar for about an hour and doctor wasn't worried. Hasn't happened since.

I'm of course freaking out! Has anyone had breakthrough bleeding after using a method long term?

Honestly sounds like a myxoid cyst. If it keeps coming back they like to test these things as you could need antibiotics or to lance it to stop it coming back .
That makes sense. When I've googled that's what has come up so I'm hoping that's what it is. I've found it incredibly hard to find anything else that it could be. It's weird that they haven't said anything about what it is but then, the consultant/dermatologist hasn't actually seen it in person, just photos.

This will be the second time it's come back, having burst in November. Thanks for the reassurance, it's so easy to see the word biopsy and automatically assume the worst, I forget that they test for other things as well!

When it comes to dermatology/skin, it seems to be that they like to refer you unless the GP is 100% sure on what it is. I had a mole checked by a GP and she basically told me that while she had just done a 6 month placement in dermatology, hence why I saw her for it, most GPs have no dermatology training at all and are totally stumped by anything skin related, hence the referrals. I've also been referred to dermatology before and the dermatologist told me it's one of their biggest problems that GP's are a bit trigger happy when it comes to referring people to them so they get clogged up seeing people who they don't need to.... hope this helps to calm your nerves @AladdinSane

When it comes to dermatology/skin, it seems to be that they like to refer you unless the GP is 100% sure on what it is. I had a mole checked by a GP and she basically told me that while she had just done a 6 month placement in dermatology, hence why I saw her for it, most GPs have no dermatology training at all and are totally stumped by anything skin related, hence the referrals. I've also been referred to dermatology before and the dermatologist told me it's one of their biggest problems that GP's are a bit trigger happy when it comes to referring people to them so they get clogged up seeing people who they don't need to.... hope this helps to calm your nerves @AladdinSane
My husband saw a Nurse last week and asked them to look at a skin problem and they said they don’t do it anymore, he has to be referred.

I also got referred to a Dermatologist and he told me the same as yours and that they’re so busy seeing GP urgent referrals that it stops them seeing the people who really do need treatment.

This is actually very reassuring @Honeystar & @Suzesnooze . No one other than my GP has seen it yet and she said straight away she had no idea what it was. The dermatology team who referred me at the GP have only seen a photo on a phone and the hospital have booked me in for a biopsy due to the pictures I had taken there 3 weeks ago.
It's just a little nerve wracking when you're not actually told why but I'm assuming it'll all come out on Wednesday. I'm feel much more reassured now though that it's more of a let's check it just in case rather than a you definitely have something wrong.

Reactions: 2
Has anyone ever had their resting heart rate trend upwards despite no big changes to your lifestyle? Could it be that I'm working out less? It's still within normal parameters but it has been going up over the past couple of months and I don't know what it could be so my anxiety -powered by google- is telling me it could be lots of terrible things.

I have myself convinced I have bowel cancer… I always have the feeling that I need to poop, recently it’s been wee pebbles. The doc felt and said she thinks I have an internal hemeroid.. but how can she be sure surely I should have this confirmed that it’s not a polyp or something

I have myself convinced I have bowel cancer… I always have the feeling that I need to poop, recently it’s been wee pebbles. The doc felt and said she thinks I have an internal hemeroid.. but how can she be sure surely I should have this confirmed that it’s not a polyp or something
My mum has the same symptoms and she’s been told it’s constipation.

I have external piles and can get constipated because the piles are blocking the poop.

Has anyone ever had their resting heart rate trend upwards despite no big changes to your lifestyle? Could it be that I'm working out less? It's still within normal parameters but it has been going up over the past couple of months and I don't know what it could be so my anxiety -powered by google- is telling me it could be lots of terrible things.
Absolutely,if you're working out less that can definitely make a difference. Then if you're anxious about it it's also a vicious circle

• Heart
My mum has the same symptoms and she’s been told it’s constipation.

I have external piles and can get constipated because the piles are blocking the poop.
It’s annoying me so much as I must be on the bowel cancer side of TikTok and that’s what all my videos are of and it’s making me think someone’s trying to tell me something

It’s annoying me so much as I must be on the bowel cancer side of TikTok and that’s what all my videos are of and it’s making me think someone’s trying to tell me something
My Dad had bowel cancer so I always panic I have it or will get it. If you are not convinced it’s piles then ask them to send you for further tests.

But I’m sure it will be piles related.

Absolutely,if you're working out less that can definitely make a difference. Then if you're anxious about it it's also a vicious circle
Thanks Mamacita. I'd forgotten to post and update but yeah, basically I started working out regularly and at a medium-high intensity again and decreased my added sugars consumption (I'd been on daily litle treats since before Christmas) and it's gone down, not fully back to my old one but like 10 points down.

I kinda hate that working out and eating well work so well 😂

But another question, I have a Fitbit and I check my stats often and have the kind that tracks your heart rate during your sleep. In the past month I've had three times where it has randomly spiked up like super high, like doing HIIT high, for a minute or two and then back down.

I've booked an appointment with my doc since I read it could be sleep apnea or an arrythmia and my family has some heart stuff in our history, but has anyone had that happen?

And another thing freaking me out. Got blood test results back and while my platelets are fine now, now my eosinophils are low. Anyone had that before?