Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

JLXRD

VIP Member
Posted here a couple of weeks back about having a breast lump, just to update and maybe reassure anyone who comes across this in future - it was just a bit of harder breast tissue.

Had my appointment within 2 weeks and the ladies at the clinic were just so lovely and reassuring. Quick physical exam and then an ultrasound and all sorted within the hour. Feel so relieved ☺

• Heart
Reactions: 12

owen2110

Hi all. I've been on Tattle a while but only discovered this thread today. I honestly go through such 'waves' of extreme health anxiety and then being 'ok' for a couple of weeks and then revert back. I'll be googling stuff (worst thing to do - I know) multiple times a day and convincing myself I've got a terminal illness and won't see my kids grow up. Then other weeks I think rationally and realise how powerful my brain can be and that i'm fine. I know some people who suffer with health anxiety and visit doctors often for reassurance, whereas i'm the total opposite and get scared they'd tell me something terrible. It's so mentally exhausting. Sorry for the long post anyway - just feels better writing it out somewhere to people I don't know personally ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 9

Honeystar

VIP Member
100% agree that having things to looks forward to, or even just generally enjoying life, makes my health anxiety worse. In fact, in a pretty cruel twist of fate, I’m pretty sure it was my life being in a great place and feeling content and happy that actually triggered my health anxiety in the first place 😂🙄 It was like I suddenly had a life I loved and didn’t want to lose if that makes sense

The minute I don’t have something to worry about and obsess over, I start thinking “well something will be along soon” rather than just embracing life and the feeling of peace

• Heart
Reactions: 8

comment on life

Does anyone ever have periods of crippling HA that is a manifestation of other anxieties? Questioning every single thing. I am in a bad place with it at the minute, like Ashley Judd in the film Bug 😶
1000% yes. I have had chronic health anxiety since I was 11 years old. I'm 34 now and have had every test under the sun. The tests (thank God) have always come back clear but anxiety is a cruel beast and the somatic symptoms every constantly and relentlessly changing. At the moment I have been dealing with tingling in my feet and legs for the past 10 weeks that has me driven completely spare. Even though the tingling started the same day my Mam was admitted to a hospice it does nothing to relieve the worry. I genuinely wouldn't wish health anxiety on my worst enemy. You are fighting your mind and your body every single day.

I often think of Health Anxiety a bit like drug addiction but if you quit heroin you are not going to carry a stash of it around with you all the time. Every health anxiety sufferer knows googling isn't good but this little device that is never far from our hands generally makes the temptation to seek reassurance all to great.

Would strongly recommend Cherelle Thinks on YouTube. She is recovered from health anxiety and offers good tips on her YouTube and insta. Sending love to all out there that suffer from this absolute bastard of a mental illness.

• Heart
Reactions: 7

Honeystar

VIP Member
This is probably going to sound totally ridiculous but does anyone ever get totally overwhelmed at the sheer number of things they COULD worry about, even if you don’t have someone you’re currently worrying about? For me cancer is my biggest HA trigger and I was just sitting here thinking about all the different symptoms to be on the lookout for, moles, lumps, pains etc. I now feel like its some huge overwhelming task to be on the lookout for everything, when a normal brain would recognise that you will notice a red flag, you don’t need to be actively looking for them all the time. Sigh, it’s exhausting, even if there’s not a current concern the HA pops up in some way

Reactions: 7

WreckingBall

Had my breast clinic appointment today and my gosh they’re bloody brilliant there. Honestly the nicest kindest people and I felt completely at ease the entire time. My lump is a harmless cyst, 15mm so no wonder I could feel it but not hurting or anything so they’re leaving it alone. What a relief.

• Heart
Reactions: 6

stanleycupgal

VIP Member
I wanted to share with you lovely ladies that after my burning legs and arms and tingling all over I have had a thorough review by a neurologist that included an assessment and nerve and muscle testing. She could find absolutely nothing wrong with me at all.
This is of course a big relief but I know it won't be long until the next thing comes along! For now hopefully some of you other ladies can take comfort if you have similar symptoms there is a good chance it is nothing sinister.

• Heart

amysiobhan84

just to add I paid privately and all is good, it is just a cyst/fatty tissue! also going to think about counselling in the new year for a few things. Hope everyone is OK.x

• Heart

no-no

VIP Member
Does anyone ever have periods of crippling HA that is a manifestation of other anxieties? Questioning every single thing. I am in a bad place with it at the minute, like Ashley Judd in the film Bug 😶

• Sad
Going to sound nuts but I feel like I’m getting weird ‘signs’ and I know this is ridiculous but…

The book I was reading the person found a lump and got breast cancer. The tv show I’m watching, one of the cast just announced they had been diagnosed with breast cancer. My audio book just had a character die from … you guessed it, breast cancer.

I know it’s mad to make those associations but my brain immediately goes ‘the universe made you choose those things to read/watch/listen to as signs’.

this is a thread on health anxiety so if I’m going to share my irrationality I may as well do it here 😅
Here to put your mind at ease! They are not signs for something serious being wrong...you're worried about it and your brain will automatically pick up on it and link them together! It's exactly the same as when you get a new car, all you see are the cars you've just purchased 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 5

Hales1510

100% agree that having things to looks forward to, or even just generally enjoying life, makes my health anxiety worse. In fact, in a pretty cruel twist of fate, I’m pretty sure it was my life being in a great place and feeling content and happy that actually triggered my health anxiety in the first place 😂🙄 It was like I suddenly had a life I loved and didn’t want to lose if that makes sense

The minute I don’t have something to worry about and obsess over, I start thinking “well something will be along soon” rather than just embracing life and the feeling of peace
I feel exactly the same as you. My husband says it's like I'm always waiting for something bad to happen and it stops me enjoying life. It's so bloody hard.

stanleycupgal

VIP Member
I’m so glad they didn’t find anything and I hope it’s given you some peace of mind for a while.

Completely understand what you mean about waiting and worrying for the next symptoms/illnesses to come along. But I hope you get a bit of a break from worrying now 😌
It's terrible isn't it. Tonight I am on cloud 9 that I am not dying from an illness I never had, except in my own mind. Tomorrow I will be back to finding the next thing. It would be funny if not so true 😢🙄

• Sad
  • Heart

stanleycupgal

VIP Member
This is so true - sums it up perfectly.

It's just hideous. On my current spiral I'm obsessing on two things simultaneously and now don't know what is real and what my anxiety is doing. Hate it xx
I totally get it. I would put money on both things being anxiety. It's not that they are not real, it's that the anxiety is manifesting it for you. Honestly I have the biggest perspective with others peoples health, I have 3 children and dont even worry overly about their health. That may sound really bad, but it's my reality. I hate it.

• Heart

ChampagneBox

VIP Member
Wondering if anyone can help, I have health anxiety (well and anxiety in general) but more recently have started feeling depressed too so I went to the doctors (something I should’ve done ages ago) and I’ve been given medication - Escitalopram, but I’m too scared to take it 😭 I’m worrying about the side effects from it . This is coming from someone who’s scared to even take pain relief in case it makes me feel funny 🥲😩 Like I literally had the tablet out earlier ready to take and then I just couldn’t do it 🙃 anyone else have this problem 🫤
Yep! I can’t stop myself from reading all the side effects as then I panic too much that I will get them 🤦‍♀️
ive been on citalopram since winter 2021 and honestly I wish I’d done it sooner! I do get some side effects, e.g. night sweats (but that’s also hormonal I think), honestly itll do wonders for your mental health!!

Reactions: 4

BBC1HD

VIP Member
I hope it all goes well today!
I'd never been to the opticians in my life and recently went due to bad headaches and I was expecting the worst but turns out my headaches were just because I needed glasses and probably should've got them years ago because I have rugby shaped eyeballs :ROFLMAO: I've been wearing them for screens for the past few weeks and yup no headaches.
Aw thank you so much for asking! ❤.

It was all good! Infact my glasses prescription has improved and my eyes look healthy. Don't need to go again for 2 years thank God.

I was an absolute mess during my appointment...I need to get my anxiety under control as this isn't normal.

• Heart

BBC1HD

VIP Member
After 6 years of not going - I've finally plucked up the courage to go to the opticians. It's booked for tomorrow and I am just absolutely freaking out. I'm totally convinced that they are going to find something horrible. I just want to cry and sleep the day away.

• Heart

HarJR289

Chatty Member
I never knew you can access your notes online. How can I do this?

edit - it’s not available in my post code area
If you suffer from health anxiety it’s not something I advise - with my current issue all notes and referrals got uploaded at once so it looked like a abormal ultrasound triggered a CT scan, MRI & biopsy - had a absolute meltdown & luckily dr called me back within a few hours but it’s defo put me off reading it as a non healthcare person xx

ChampagneBox

VIP Member
I feel a bit odd at the moment….anyone else get anxiety over their breathing, so that your so conscious of it you can’t breathe ‘normally?’
But I think I am also having a physical symptom…not sure if I’m breathless or if my heart is pounding, or if I just feel generally agitated lately. Anyone else ever get that ‘breathless but not actually breathless’ feeling?