Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
Ok, so I don't really like Hannah, but reading that her husband was playing an effing board game and waited to finish it off whilst she went into labour infuriates me for her.

I would dump a man who did that to me for our FIRST child, and I'm not being funny, but Hannah isn't exactly an able-bodied pregnant woman - she has a stoma bag and missing part of her digestive system. Whilst it's not a debilitating condition, she's not exactly on the same level as someone with a full digestive system. Being pregnant takes a hell of a toll on the body, and labour is incredibly stressful on the body. Additionally, for all I know, Hannah may have trauma regarding hospitals after her experience going through all of that - to leave her alone at a frightening time for any woman is just peak jack-ass.

Whilst I'm sure it's very safe, as a concerned partner with more of an anxious mindset, I'd be nervous about something happening, and that four-day labour says it all.

As a husband, you're supposed to be there to support your partner first and foremost, not when it's most convenient for you.

• Heart
Reactions: 22

Tom_Nook

VIP Member
One thing that both Mel and Hannah do is use phrases like 'whip out a tit' which I find such an odd way to talk about your own body!? I can't explain why but it just gives me the ick. I'd probably say 'when I need to breastfeed' or something. It's something I'd expect a teenager trying to be edgy to say......

astridivy

Had to unfollow. All the breastfeeding content is too much. Idk if it’s just where I live but breastfeeding (Australia) is already ‘normalised’ and accepted and no one needs a million posts of her baby on the boob/pumping bottles hanging out of her bra. Couldn’t breastfeed because of my baby’s health conditions and I just find it triggering. I feel like people use ‘normalising’ breastfeeding as a way to just brag about how they’ve ‘stuck with it’ on social media and it’s this big superiority complex

• Heart

Elinie

Chatty Member
Doesn’t she usually sleep naked? I think she bed shares as well. So basically her son would just wake up and feed from her, she might not have even woken up properly. So maybe the outfit is to stop him from getting milk without her realising? 🤷🏼‍♀️ 😂

Why do we know this about her lmao. Imagine strangers on the internet being able to discuss the clothing you sleep in.

Also that latest weaning outfit reel really exemplifies why I think it’s such nonsense when influencers act like hiding their child’s face is enough to protect their privacy. As if sharing private info doesn’t arguably make a person even more vulnerable than posting a pic of their face. When he gets older her son might not enjoy having videos out there on the internet about how his mother had to wear a sports bra to sleep because of how “boob obsessed” he was. I get the idea of normalising breastfeeding, but he doesn’t get to choose if he wants to participate in the awareness raising.

But no his private life is totally being protected by those face emojis.

bookish

I mean, Hannah does the bare minimum of what a YouTuber SHOULD do for a living. Making two videos a week is hardly excessive amounts of work - she just shows how lazy most of them are. She knows her job is cushy and she does what she needs to do to make it happen - respect for it

BoreDeForce

What tends to irk me about women who say they want to normalise breastfeeding is that they don't often bring anything to the table on the topic, it's just endless photos of "look at me eating a burger and breastfeeding, aren't I amazing". Information about support that's helped, tips to increase supply, massage, the general faff that comes with baby feeding and what people can do to assist mothers would be infinitely more helpful. For example "guys, did you know that breastfeeding burns about 70 calories per 100ml of milk? It's worth offering a nursing mother a snack because she probably needs it!" because that's shit I didn't know but would have helpful in supporting my breastfeeding friends.
It's like when people think they're challenging beauty standards by pretending they have tummy rolls

• Heart

kateps

I generally like Hannah and her content, but my main issue is that she's just unqualified to be giving sex education advice on a public platform. I appreciate that she's trying to rectify that by taking a sex education certificate course online, but she's been calling herself a sex educator for years, it's basically her brand. It would have been different if she had majored in something related, like medicine or psychology, or at least followed her history degree with an MA in a related field, but she has literally no qualifications.

All the info she relays in her videos are basic things that anyone could find by reading the book she lifted the information from, or just googling. She puts quite a bit of effort in her sex education videos, but all in all, the content is very basic and has no depth, it's just her regurgitating stats and tidbits from other sources. Plus, her demographic is women in their mid-20s, most of whom are sexually experienced and already know of most of the issues she discusses.

I enjoy her podcast and her second channel more than the main one, but I'm curious to see how she'll incorporate what she's learning on her course in her content. Until then I'm watching her for entertainment, definitely not sexual health advice.

On a more petty note, I just can't with how much of a big deal she made about her "single years." She wasn't even properly single, she had a couple of years of casual dating and flings and then met her husband at 25 and got married before 30, hardly Carrie Bradshaw 😂 I said it once on Melanie Murphy's thread and I'll say it again, but having a lot of mediocre sex in your early 20s doesn't make you a sex educator.

• Haha

Chatty Member
Her and Melanie think they’re somehow radical because they shagged about a lot in their 20s and spoke a bit about it😂

• Haha

Kiki13

This is super nitpicky, if she were buying everything new people would be like "so wasteful, babies grow out of things, they piss and shit in them, why not get second hand" and then she gets second hand and you're like "shes stealing precious second hand resources from more needy people."

Also, I suspect she probably is doing it for sustainability reasons too, she buys, and has for a while, quite a lot second hand for herself so makes sense she would extend that.

Reactions: 21

Fillyjonk

VIP Member
The thing about the breastfeeding is that it absolutely consumes you. It becomes your entire life and your entire world, and at times it becomes the only thing you do. It's boring, repetitve, exhausting process but there are obvious results which are pretty amazing. This generally leads to expecting everybody to care about it the way you do. But really, nobody does. Really, not even breastfeeding mums give a shit about anything but their own journey. Nobody needs to see the pump or a full grid of brelfies.

I don't know how I feel about trigger warnings on breastfeeding content, though. That feels more like "I need to address my distress at not being able to breastfeed" than "I need somebody to feel like feeding their baby is distressing".

Last edited:

Millennial Pink

VIP Member
I think she's doing the right thing for all the right reasons. I haven't watched her sex and relationship stuff for a really long time- I don't really want to watch this sort of thing from a creator who generally has no lived experience of what she's talking about and no formal qualifications in the field. I do think that she has lots to say on other topics that people will really enjoy. I think it says it all (and Hannah realises this too) that she just hasn't wanted to do any further study in the field of sex and relationships- the interest went a long time ago.

The financial burden of a lot of what she's doing makes no sense and it follows that she would want to simplify her work, especially when she has a small child. I really appreciate her being open and straightforward about the content changes- so many people just disappear into the ether.

Chinese_whispers

VIP Member
Hannah is one of the only youtubers I don’t think is robbing a wage. She works really hard on what she does and has multiple revenue streams for when it all goes bust. I wish more had her attitude.

• Heart

Itsjustwhatithink!

ummmmm just saw lucy's tweet about her getting drunk????
is she not trying for a baby? pretty dangerous to be drinking if you're trying to get pregnant, shouldn't have to tell a sex educator that?

she literally said in her ovulation video that after new years shes not gonna drink lol
If she's just come on her period, then I see no harm.

To me, Hannah feels very much like a "tick the boxes" person. It's like she met Dan, then had to get married. Then as soon as they were married, she had to get pregnant.
I think the pregnancy is do with her stoma. And if you have corrective surgery you can’t conceive so she’s on a time limit.
She’s mentioned it in a video before but I could have misunderstood

• Sad
I mean, I have empathy for Hannah, but she doesn't realise how good she's got it.
My mum was a single mother who was self-employed as a cleaner. My mum didn't have a dad to help out financially or physically, any additional income to hire people to do work for her or a childminder.

Middle-class people with well above-average salaries complaining that raising children is hard just makes me roll my eyes.

Reactions: 20

anon365

I agree with whats being said about it being basic, but as a teenager she pretty much was my sex education (alongside laci green) and i think there is most definitely a market for her videos. Its entry level but I think that's generally a good thing. I think her podcasts are a bit more in depth

• Heart

éman

It’s a bit of a side point but while I’m not contemptuous of trigger warnings as a concept because I think they were, originally, very kindly meant, I sincerely believe they’re crippling women. They’re a road to self-flagellating levels of aimless, counterproductive empathy, in particular because it’s definitionally incredibly subjective where is reasonable to draw a line between “needs a trigger warning” and “doesn’t need a trigger warning”, and it’s basically inevitable that the people whose voices are loudest during those conversations are the ones with the most extreme views in that regard. People very enmeshed in their own trauma are often — very understandably! — extremely myopic, and I think as a society we’ve got a bit tangled up in this idea that experience of something necessarily means that someone is ideally equipped to determine which system works best for everyone.

The only way, IMO, to get close to a subjective standard (and even here there’s some room for argument) is to go for a system where things that would be considered distressing for most people – either generally or, if in a specific group, then in the particular context of that specific group — get a trigger warning, but other stuff doesn’t. Breastfeeding is not an inherently distressing subject. It’s not RARE to have trauma or sensitivities around it, but it’s also not rare to have trauma or sensitivities around pregnancy, and pregnancy is how literally all of us got here. It’s obscene to impose the need to self-censor on people talking about pregnancy, and also just pragmatically ridiculous.

Someone I know wrote very movingly a while ago on this whole subject, after having suffered several miscarriages in a row (one quite far into the pregnancy) in a desperate bid to have her first baby. She said that at the peak of her misery and anxiety, she would step out of her door onto the busy street, or go for a coffee and look at the waiting queue, or turn on the news and see coverage of various world leaders shaking hands with each other, and every person she looked at, she would get a pit in her stomach and miserably think “you were the result of a successful pregnancy”. She said it was this that made her realise that it could only ever be her responsibility to deal with her trauma, and other people ultimately owed her nothing more than tact, because what can anyone do to accommodate trauma associated with simply seeing other human beings and knowing that they were once successfully brought to term - burn down the entire world?

Breastfeeding falls into a similar category really. There are basically two possible outcomes of forcing constantly cautious discussion of it - either you tabooise it, in which case no mother is really free (and make no mistake - men are not forcing this shit on each other), or, far more likely, it doesn’t really take off as a custom, so you’re doing a total disservice to everybody that gets used to being constantly accommodated in this way, because as soon as they get out into the wider world, they can’t cope. Worth remembering too that more or less every phobia treatment involves exposure, not shielding.

• Heart

Sprezza

VIP Member
I'm a cosleeping floor bed mama. I wouldn't have chosen this if you'd asked me when pregnant but it's what has worked for us in order to get our toddler to sleep and for us to get a decent night sleep

Breastfeeding at his age is still very normal, I know people who breastfed until their little one was 4/5+

So an almost 2 year old still breastfeeding and needing support to sleep is pretty biologically normal
😧😧😧 My friend's 5 year old makes her own breakfast in the morning! There is no reason for a 5 year old to be sucking on a boob.