Great British Sewing Bee

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was rooting for Lizzie this week, I know she didn't finish the M2M properly but I think she is one to watch.

I think the right person went.

Tony's dress looked "mehhhh" as he was constructing it but actually once done, and with those gems on the neckline, it actually looked quite chic, though white might not be most practical for a child who plays 😂

I think Lauren's dress was the most practical.

Reactions: 6
So thank you for telling me that -- we don't usually tell this until a couple of days later as some us don't watch until tomorrow but do like to hear discussions without names.
So thank you for telling me that? The thread isn’t waiting for you and the comments aren’t directed at you. Don’t read here until you have watched. Why should we censor ourselves in case you are reading. This is a discussion thread of the programme, there are no rules about revealing results in real time, it’s egotistical to suggest that there should be no discussion until you are ready. The sensible thing is to catch up when you have watched. It’s what I normally do.

Reactions: 28
I loved Tony's dinosaur jacket. Really thought he had a great week.

Tinfoil Patrick made me laugh.

Reactions: 8
Tony’s dress was so cute - what a great idea.

But nitpicky on Mia’s Christmas dress - but she’s so good I guess they have to reach a bit.

I also wasn’t aware of the rules on this thread. I don’t read here until I’ve watched - I’m in charge of that.

Reactions: 13
I always read here before I’ve watched and spoil it for myself but I don’t mind😆

Reactions: 9
Tony's dress was fab even with a wonky zip
As was his jacket - it was def his week this week
Lizzie bless just gave herself too much to do

I'm hladbtywvoerson who went did - but who are we going to hate on now 😁

Reactions: 4
Im in agreement that I would prefer to see some outfits and sewing that I could half way make, or that could inspire me to sew something myself.

So far this series, I havent seen anything made that I would like to have a go at. And I agree I would like to see them make clothes for different shaped models, including plus sized, not just skinny models.

Im in agreement that I would prefer to see some outfits and sewing that I could half way make, or that could inspire me to sew something myself.

So far this series, I havent seen anything made that I would like to have a go at. And I agree I would like to see them make clothes for different shaped models, including plus sized, not just skinny models.
Yes! Last year I was inspired (like about 50 thousand other people) to make a patchwork jacket, this year I am not itching to make anything they’ve made.

Reactions: 1
I'd quite like to have a go at a dressing gown. I've seen quite a few patterns for them on sale.

Fauve did deserve to go, although I haven't found her as annoying as many on this thread have. I agreed with Esme that her jumpsuit was a good idea - I would have loved one when I was 5 - but it didn't fit properly. She could have chosen a more dressy fabric as well.

My granny was a dressmaker and could put together most things from a pattern, including wedding dresses, ballgowns and various Mary Quant and Biba knockoffs for my mum and her friends. Unfortunately, she had very old-fashioned ideas about what little girls should wear and I had to be bribed to wear anything she made for me. It's sad she died before I was old enough to appreciate her properly and to enjoy sewing with her. She would have loved Lauren's dress.

Reactions: 8
Tony's dress was strange and fabulous, I loved how his tiny little model was clearly delighted to be wearing it. I think that's what gave him the edge, there's nothing like seeing someone wear a dress that clearly makes them feel like God Queen Ballerina, or whatever it was that little girl was imagining herself as when she was doing high-kicks in it during the judging. 💗

Kind of sad that Fauve went, I thought she was sweet, in a slightly highly strung, eccentric way. She made me laugh a good few times, and I honestly thought they would take the decision to have a No-Boot Week this week.
I have to admit, that although she has got on my mammary glands week after week, it has broken my cold, hard heart to lose her. 😐

I also like Tony's dress, but i think it might get hot and sweaty. My (practical) favourites were Lauren's and the checks one (was it Mia's?) but the model didn't look too impressed with that one. The fluffy cloud thing was pretty magical, and the model loved it.

(Also liked Tony's very subtle black number last week - it really hit the brief. The Miss-Haversham-meets-the-Bride-of-Dracula that won was carp.)

Last edited:
(Also liked Tony's very subtle black number last week - it really hit the brief. The Miss-Haversham-meets-the-Bride-of-Dracula that won was carp.)
It did fit the brief but it looked like a Tilly & The Buttons Stevie dress with some vinyl print on it.

• Haha
Reactions: 2
I'm not a sewer, @CarmenGhia , so I had to look this up.

My main response was "How much?! For SEWING PATTERN?????" I was shocked.
Indie patterns have a lot more detailed instruction booklets than your standard ‘big 4’ where you just get a page with written instructions and diagrams. Tilly’s patterns have photos of what you’re supposed to be doing and the patterns are printed on proper paper rather than tissue making them more durable.

I cut my teeth on Tilly patterns learning to sew and used to run a mile from traditional patterns as they are more complex to follow. However with the cost of everything going up I am trying to be a big girl more often and sew with them. I’m making a shirt for my boyfriend and paid like £4 for a simplicity pattern rather than the indie alternative which was nearly £25 😅

Reactions: 3
Indie patterns have a lot more detailed instruction booklets than your standard ‘big 4’ where you just get a page with written instructions and diagrams. Tilly’s patterns have photos of what you’re supposed to be doing and the patterns are printed on proper paper rather than tissue making them more durable.

I cut my teeth on Tilly patterns learning to sew and used to run a mile from traditional patterns as they are more complex to follow. However with the cost of everything going up I am trying to be a big girl more often and sew with them. I’m making a shirt for my boyfriend and paid like £4 for a simplicity pattern rather than the indie alternative which was nearly £25 😅
I know Tilly&TB isn't loved by all, but I managed to make a wearable, if imperfect, Stevie dress at the first attempt, having never sewed anything more complicated than a tote bag and never used a machine properly before.
I've got the fabric and pattern for a Simplicity wrap miniskirt now that I need an afternoon off to do. The instructions don't make it that clear which pieces you need to cut two of.

• Heart
I know Tilly&TB isn't loved by all, but I managed to make a wearable, if imperfect, Stevie dress at the first attempt, having never sewed anything more complicated than a tote bag and never used a machine properly before.
I've got the fabric and pattern for a Simplicity wrap miniskirt now that I need an afternoon off to do. The instructions don't make it that clear which pieces you need to cut two of.
Yes using TATB patterns really gave me the initial confidence to think yes I can do this! Rather than spending more time looking up the terminology on YouTube than actual sewing and pulling my hair out understanding the traditional patterns. The first one I made was also a Stevie but the top.

I have to read everything a few times on traditional patterns to be sure still but getting there. I quite like the challenge now.

i remember the days when you could search and get people posting patterns for free. when blogging was first a thing and noone was making money off everything. they just popped out patterns all the time. then social media, etsy and the like came and bam pay for the pdf! im sorry what haha

Reactions: 2
Guess who was at London Pride on Saturday… Mr Harness
I just don’t understand how that outfit would look good on anyone

It’s giving year 7 school uniform/pulled up to the max rucksack 😂

• Haha