Great British Bake Off 2021

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
so i’m thinking final will be chigs, jurgen and guisseppe no clue who’s gonna win at this point tho

Reactions: 4
If an Italian wins bake off it will finish a remarkable year for Italy and competitions.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
I think it's going to be an all male final this year. If so, will it be the first one since John/James/Brendan?

Reactions: 4
I would just love to get through a whole episode where crystelle doesn't mention her grandmother and miso 😴

• Haha
Reactions: 30
love the show but they were proper bashing 'free from' food. I'm coeliac so being gluten free isn't a choice lol

They should have made each category dairy/soy/gluten free rather than vegan which is a choice...just my opinion!

Reactions: 18
I am not a free from person but I thought it was a bit off going on, negatively, about it all.

Reactions: 9
I felt the same. It was almost as though there was no consideration towards the fact that rarely are people free from something out of choice. It's a pain to be free from, and it just felt as though they were mocking it.

Reactions: 11
I felt the same. It was almost as though there was no consideration towards the fact that rarely are people free from something out of choice. It's a pain to be free from, and it just felt as though they were mocking it.
It's an absolute pain to find nice things that are GF. I'm both a trainee gastroenterologist and a coeliac so I get suggestions of nice substitutes from patients just as much as they look to me for answers 😂

It really doesn't help to see them make a mockery of it on TV. Yes, it's harder to cook the food but imagine living like that every day.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Im glad you all agree! It's not great having to hunt around for free from food and even worse when your in bed for a day after being 'glutened' haha

I don't think they approached the situation right. They could have had links to allergy awareness websites or discussed it, Coeliac UK is a great organisation

Reactions: 7
This is where they could have benefitted from their old ‘history of baking’ segment. Would have been a good opportunity to speak to an expert or people who have to be free-from… there is a lot of misinformation and misunderstanding brought about by people choosing to be gluten-free in the belief that it’s better for them but not having an underlying reason for it and no major repercussions if they couldn’t find a substitute or free-from option.

Reactions: 11
love the show but they were proper bashing 'free from' food. I'm coeliac so being gluten free isn't a choice lol

They should have made each category dairy/soy/gluten free rather than vegan which is a choice...just my opinion!
Came on to this thread hoping to find some fellow miffed coeliacs and wasn’t disappointed. The way they (esp Paul) equated the whole ‘free from’ theme with fad diets instead of lifelong allergy/intolerance or in the case of coeliacs an incurable AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE just felt really off. It would have been a good chance to educate people in a fun easy going way especially after the Saturday Kitchen debacle set us all back about 10 years.

Maybe I’m just over sensitive (pun 100% intended) because I can’t eat real cake without shitting myself.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I don’t think you’re being at all over sensitive. It wasn’t inclusive - so what’s the point then really?

Reactions: 8
The It's A Sin cast are doing a Christmas special as well. Actually looking forward to this!

FD6wSxdX0A4OjgO.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Yes there was literally no point in them doing free from week, they didn't raise awareness for allergies and bascially just mocked how to bake using alternative ingredients. When Chiggs said he'd rather have full fat than gluten free or something?? Most gluten free stuff is full of fat and usually 10x more sugar then 'regular' foods hahah educate yourself

It's really annoyed me

Came on to this thread hoping to find some fellow miffed coeliacs and wasn’t disappointed. The way they (esp Paul) equated the whole ‘free from’ theme with fad diets instead of lifelong allergy/intolerance or in the case of coeliacs an incurable AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE just felt really off. It would have been a good chance to educate people in a fun easy going way especially after the Saturday Kitchen debacle set us all back about 10 years.

Maybe I’m just over sensitive (pun 100% intended) because I can’t eat real cake without shitting myself.
I don't have an intolerance but noticed some of the digs. Matt, I think said something during the dairy free bit like ' nows the time to add a load of dairy'. which is really damaging as, as you said, it's like they are thinking people with food intolerance are just fussy eaters. My son has a gluten insensitivity but is not coeliac. He loves bread and is OK until he has one slice too many, then he is doubled over in pain. He's vegetarian and I have to be careful of Seitan and ' fake' meays because they really upset his stomach.

Reactions: 3
What do people think about Juergen serving sausage rolls that had been on the floor? I’m not bothered but thee was outrage in the Mail 😂

• Haha
  • Sick
What do people think about Juergen serving sausage rolls that had been on the floor? I’m not bothered but thee was outrage in the Mail 😂
Meh, it's not like the floor is filthy and I expect they weren't on the floor long, even if the edit implied they were

Reactions: 6
I would just love to get through a whole episode where crystelle doesn't mention her grandmother and miso 😴
Crystelle must have loads of grandma's the number of dishes she's made in honor of them 🤣 I'm hoping for a Jurgen, but Giuseppe and Chigs final. I wouldn't mind any of them winning but I have a bit of a soft spot for Chigs

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.