Great British Bake Off 2021

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Glad chins got star baker, loved his bakes this week.

I'm not sure about Freya. Her voice grates on me a wee bit. Is it vocal fry?

Reactions: 12
Finally caught up.

- There isnā€™t really any particular contestant Iā€™m rooting for yet, but I do get the Chigs hype.

- glad to see Maggie go. She was never going to get far and went as far as she could.

- Matt is starting to grate. Heā€™s a funny man, but him and Noel are not a comedy duo. At least Noel seems to have some natural banter with the bakers, Matt hasnā€™t.

Reactions: 11
Maggie hun I liked you, but how do you reckon on a *baking* show, you can get very far making a cake without flour?! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 10
This week was great! Absolutely died at Maggie's burned butter and sugar lumps, how did she not think a sticky toffee sponge needed flour šŸ¤£
Jurgen, Giuseppe and Chigs are smashing it, and I have a soft spot for George too, who always seems hapless and winging it but sometimes nails it!

What do we think of Freya? I can't warm to her for some reason, and although I admire her really challenging herself with vegan bakes rather than using normal ingredients I can't help but think she's shooting herself in the foot here by making everything so much harder... maybe not the show for her as it is so butter and egg heavy!
Hmm I'm not all that fond of Freya but I did think making the signature meringue was a bit mean. Aquafaba takes ages to whip up and she didn't really showcase vegan baking with ' aquafaba is really unstable and ' vegan sponge is not very bendy! I think vegan week is enough to showcase vegan baking- its more fair, I think, but I suppose she chose to apply!

Reactions: 6
I have just finished watching bake off. Maggie was terrible. I have no idea how she even got on the show to be honest. Poor performance. How the feck do you not realise you need flour in a sticky toffee pudding.
The intro was dreadful. It is as if the producers do not want to potentially offend anyone so they have .. whatever that was.
Freya annoys me so much. The detective also irritates me.
I honestly don't know why I continue to watch the show as it riles me up šŸ˜‚

Reactions: 7
We were wondering if Freya was the only vegan baker that applied? Or the only one palettable fot tv? Cause my sponges (vegan) are bendy...

Reactions: 3
Just catching up tonight. I swear Iā€™m going to have to stop watching it if they keep on with the whole ā€œthis usually takes three hours so weā€™re giving them an hour and a half to do itā€ šŸ™„ I get itā€™s a challenge, and they need to be managing their time etc, but itā€™s supposed to be home bakers doing home bakes. Does my head in!

Anyway Maggie was in over her head, and Chigs is my fave, with Giuseppe up there too! I donā€™t like Lizzie or Freya.

Reactions: 12
Just catching up tonight. I swear Iā€™m going to have to stop watching it if they keep on with the whole ā€œthis usually takes three hours so weā€™re giving them an hour and a half to do itā€ šŸ™„ I get itā€™s a challenge, and they need to be managing their time etc, but itā€™s supposed to be home bakers doing home bakes. Does my head in!

Anyway Maggie was in over her head, and Chigs is my fave, with Giuseppe up there too! I donā€™t like Lizzie or Freya.
This has annoyed me for ages too. They say ā€˜oh this takes 4 hours so do it in 2ā€™ and then say well this isnā€™t baked properly or this could have used longer in the oven. GIVE THEM LONGER THEN!!

• Heart
Reactions: 15
This has annoyed me for ages too. They say ā€˜oh this takes 4 hours so do it in 2ā€™ and then say well this isnā€™t baked properly or this could have used longer in the oven. GIVE THEM LONGER THEN!!
I donā€™t enjoy these challenges - I donā€™t want to see how well they can make a flying plane out of gingerbread, I just want to see a nice cake that is immaculately presented.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Or when they give them chocolate or ice cream to work with on the hottest day of the year!! And they're all 'hmm I wonder how they'll cope with the challenge' and it inevitably melts and everyone has a disaster. How is that a test of skill!? It's also predictable and boring to watch now.

Reactions: 19
Caught up last night. Freya going on about aquafaba really annoyed me. There was a technical on vegan week 2 (I think?) years ago to made a vegan pavlova so I think Paul and Prue know how aquafaba behaves. I baked along at that point, and didnā€™t find it any different to using egg whites, so she just sounded like she was making excuses šŸ™„

Gutted Maggie left, I really liked her but I do agree she was the right person to go. Also, Chigs deserved star baker so much, his desserts looked incredible!

Reactions: 4
Well Maggie was an absolute delight on an extra slice tonight. Why didn't she come across like that on the show?

Yes that is ridiculous. Its notvthen a test of skill or timing. It's just there to add a bit of jeopardy to the programme. They can't do a 4 hour recipe properly in 2 hours@

Well Maggie was an absolute delight on an extra slice tonight. Why didn't she come across like that on the show?
Exactly what I thought. I really warmed yo her, her personality came though and she is lovely. Maybe we just didn't get to see enough of her for that to show in the tent.

I had a thought last night about how the majority of older contestants tend not to do as well on Bake Off. Not sure whether this will be the case, but it makes a bit of sense to me.

My mum used to work in a bakery and has baked many a beautiful cake throughout my life. However, one thing I know about my mum is that she very rarely weighs out any of her ingredients (apparently can tell from sight). This is something she has learnt from her mum, and through her time at the bakery. Speaking to my partnerā€™s nan, she has baked in the past the exact same way. So I wonder whether some of the older contestants took this approach too, and are used to baking a little more ā€œfreelyā€ should we say and more simple bakes that maybe arenā€™t up to the standard shown on GBBO nowadays? Forgetting Maggie not putting flour in the sticky toffee puddings, none of her bakes looked awful, but they probably just werenā€™t up to the standard that GBBO expects.

Itā€™s just a thought, but I know nowadays, they say baking is all about provision, and being specific but I know thatā€™s not the way my mum or my grandparents or my partners nan bakes, and all of their bakes have been delicious. Or maybe Iā€™m just trying to find an excuse because the older contestants break my heart when they leave early on šŸ˜‚

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.