Grackle

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Stop bashing Grace! She's such a down to earth and innocent you tuber compared to the rest of them. The poor girl has done so well and even gifts any freebies she gets to others.
Why do people have to start jumping on the ED bandwagon. Look at her family. Her siblings are tall and slim as are her parents. Old photos of her are tall and lanky. It's just their genetics. She has a healthy and normal attitude to food and enjoys cooking and baking.
It's so easy when you have had or are having traumatic experienced yourself to project that on to others because you become obsessed with triggers that are familiar. It doesn't mean she's going through the same.
Leave the poor girl alone!!

• Heart
Reactions: 41
I know eating disorders are an extremely sensitive and complex topic, but something about even speculating whether someone else may or may not have one doesn’t sit right with me.

My best and oldest friend has the exact same physique as Grace - tall and very slim. She also eats more than anyone else I have ever met (like, two course breakfasts, endless snacks, constant “full fat” coffees, etc.) and has never put any weight on in the twenty years I’ve known her. This used to really bother me, but I have since realised that she still gets a raw end of the deal with people commenting about it all the time. She is constantly told she’s too thin, must be ill, or is so “lucky”...and I think now she’s got just as much of a body complex as me (who would probably be “overweight” in terms of BMI)

I know in previous videos Grace has mentioned discussions in comments/DMs suggesting she might have an ED really upsetting and I can see why

• Heart
Reactions: 15
The dairy thing isn’t that weird in my opinion either. The exact same thing happened to my friend, for about 6 years she was intolerant and could barely handle any dairy.
Suddenly it just sort of went away? she tried a little pizza because she missed it and thought she’d just deal with the discomfort but nothing happened

It was really strange but wow was she happy it did!

Reactions: 12
The dairy thing isn’t that weird in my opinion either. The exact same thing happened to my friend, for about 6 years she was intolerant and could barely handle any dairy.
Suddenly it just sort of went away? she tried a little pizza because she missed it and thought she’d just deal with the discomfort but nothing happened

Agree! I've spent my life having to go through periods of time avoiding dairy and gluten. But other times my body has accepted it. Same as with any food intolerance if you eliminate it to allow your gut to heal, it can often be reintroduced.

I really thought the sincerity of Grack would omit people going for her but it's happened and I just hope she is resilient to it.

Reactions: 6
I have no idea if she does or if she doesn’t. BUT I highly doubt it, I just know that if she did, her family would 100% notice and not be okay with it happening.

I’m not as tall as Grace but I am thin (but a healthy weight), my whole life people have assumed I’m anorexic or at least restrict what I’m eating... it’s like they can’t believe that someone would actually eat till they are full and know when to stop? And it’s seriously SO frustrating. People assume I restrict or that I have an unhappy life because I don’t over indulge all the time (some times I do! But I know when to stop) and it always just seems like people project their own insecurities onto me (or a thin person in general) and it’s almost like you can’t do right for doing wrong. Not long ago people were complaining that her diet had too much sugar, now it’s moved onto that she’s anorexic.

Skinny shaming is so real and only the people that haven’t experienced it will say it’s not. I was once not even phased with my weight, I didn’t give it a second thought. Now I look at myself in the mirror and notice how lanky my arms are (something that I literally cannot control), I feel like I should cover them up because someone will think I’m anorexic and it’s just so sad that other people have put those insecurities in my head because of their own insecurities 🤷🏼‍♀️.
This was exactly me, when I was younger! Up until the age of 25/26, I was naturally skinny and quite tall; I've been 5'7" since the age of 14 and loomed over most of my friends at that age. My weight was ALWAYS commented on. 'you need to eat a burger' 'is your mum starving you?' When these people saw me eat, they'd be like 'whaaaat'. I think people probably assumed I had an ED, but I didn't even know what they were at that age.

My diet was not the healthiest a lot of the time (especially once I moved out to go to uni) but I did eat a A LOT and it was very varied. My mum had always encouraged me to try everything at least once. I was bit of a 'tomboy' (can I still say that?) until my late teens, so comments re my weight/height didn't really bother me, also I didn't grow up with social media, which I think doesn't help with young people's attitude towards body image etc.

I am 35 now and slim but no longer 'skinny' as I now have a bit of shape to me. Also unable to eat like I used to and so many things give me a bad tummy which is very annoying!

Grace is still quite young isn't she? I'm sure this is why she can eat what and not put weight on.

Reactions: 4
I can’t help but think how upset she’d be if she came across these rumours....

Also she hasn’t been dairy intolerant her whole life so why wouldn’t she continue to make the dairy bakes that she once enjoyed for her family? They’re very close knit and she is no way the type to be petty enough to refuse to make them things because she can’t eat it. I think it’s such a reach to say it’s weird that she makes things she can’t eat or doesn’t like. You can analyse every single eating behaviour ever and conspire that we all have EDs but we don’t and I’m confident that she doesn’t either. I think this just shows that you can never win on the internet because in my opinion, Grace is a shining example of someone who eats home cooked, balanced meals until she’s full and never restricts or feels guilty for eating anything yet is still accused of having an ED. Please note that she has a unique build regardless, hence why she was scouted to be a model (aside from her being stunning too) so comparing her to ourselves and our own habits is silly.

Stop bashing Grace! She's such a down to earth and innocent you tuber compared to the rest of them. The poor girl has done so well and even gifts any freebies she gets to others.
Why do people have to start jumping on the ED bandwagon. Look at her family. Her siblings are tall and slim as are her parents. Old photos of her are tall and lanky. It's just their genetics. She has a healthy and normal attitude to food and enjoys cooking and baking.
It's so easy when you have had or are having traumatic experienced yourself to project that on to others because you become obsessed with triggers that are familiar. It doesn't mean she's going through the same.
Leave the poor girl alone!!
This.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I agree, I think there’s almost an element of jealousy and projection. This is a rave thread and Grace is wonderful.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
I agree, I think there’s almost an element of jealousy and projection. This is a rave thread and Grace is wonderful.
Agreed, some people have a metabolism that works overtime. If she wasn't tall I would be concerned but she's a beanpole. Also, I think she talks about food so much because it is content, she likes trying new things and reviewing them and her fans keep asking for more of that. I think she is trying to give what the people want. I'm allergic to nuts but I still love hearing her talking about all her bakes, for inspiration.

Reactions: 7
ED TW

Grace has been very open about answering people's questions regarding her having an ED. She's clearly stated she doesn't, and has consistently shown a very positive attitude towards food, eating, body image, confidence and her mental health. She's also stated how uncomfortable it makes her that people ask, as it's made her question whether she should eat less or binge. Yes, we can discuss it here, but we shouldn't accuse her of something that would cause her great emotional distress if she ever found this.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
I think she’s probably nervous about explaining the dairy thing as she knows people will jump on her. In some of her earlier vlogs it came across more like she had an allergy (I don’t think intentionally) and I still see comments questioning her over it so I can imagine she’d be wary of having the same thing again if her tolerance has increased.

Reactions: 6

Yeh same thing happened to me, every now and again if I eat too much it will come back though (i.e. now after all the cheese at xmas), but it def isn't necessarilly a permanent thing like gluten allergy or something.
100% don't think she has an ED, although she eats lots of snacks she is actually very healthy in the main IMO, all home cooked meals, vegetables etc. Also she seems to be one of those people who do lots of "incidental" exercise, like I don't know if she has ever been to a gym etc, but she always seems to be on the go/doing something, not just slobbing around in front of the TV all day, and she's often dancing around the kitchen etc.

About her eating dairy - I found the whole dairy intolerant thing a bit strange and wonder if maybe she got the 'diagnosis' from one of those pseudoscientific food allergy testing companies. It might be the case what she actually has is just your bog-standard trouble digesting lactose and a bit of IBS. I could understand not want to talk about it if that's the case because she might feel a bit silly if she found out it's not 100% true she has to avoid all dairy completely. She might even be scared of getting backlash considering she was very keen in the past to point out she was 'dairy intolerant' not 'lactose intolerant' (whatever that means).

I think s
Grace gives me ED vibes, she massively overcompensates / exaggerates re' the food she eats, and she has a few odd habits e.g.
she will go on big trips and buy loads of food and then only eat small bites (e.g. brighton ice cream, donuts and cookies in London etc., making a big deal of going to maccies and then just getting a healthy chicken wrap - who does that ),
she cooks and bakes loads and loads for her family - even stuff she can't eat or doesn't like (ref the christmas pudding that took ages .... like she would make massive cakes with dairy when she was dairy intolerant) and then she is quite obsessive about getting feedback on the food - a lot of ED people do this as it enables them to be 'close to food' without having to eat
pre getting really big on youtube she made a lot of what i eat in a week videos where the food would 90% of the time be out of camera shot - these videos always had loads of comments from people recovering from EDs
the whole Dairy intolerence going away and her saying she will explain it and then never getting around to doing so (even though she gets a lot of comments about it ) seems off too
I disagree with literally all of this, but did want to specifically pick up on the thing about getting feedback. I'm from a family who love food (as the Booths seem to as well). We love trying new things, and cooking and eating together, but the downside is also that it feels like quite a lot of pressure sometimes when you're cooking for folk because there's truly nothing worse than being the person who makes a tit meal for people for whom that meal is like the focal point of the day. She wants them to enjoy the meal, she wants feedback on what to do differently next time if they don't. Grace is also the youngest of three siblings, and she really looks up to and adores Chloe and Jesse but also seems to really crave their approval a lot of the time. She has also talked about suffering from different kinds of anxiety (she doesn't really label it as anxiety but that's what she's describing). All of this combined is far more of what contributes to the feedback thing in my mind.

Reactions: 7
About her eating dairy - I found the whole dairy intolerant thing a bit strange and wonder if maybe she got the 'diagnosis' from one of those pseudoscientific food allergy testing companies. It might be the case what she actually has is just your bog-standard trouble digesting lactose and a bit of IBS. I could understand not want to talk about it if that's the case because she might feel a bit silly if she found out it's not 100% true she has to avoid all dairy completely. She might even be scared of getting backlash considering she was very keen in the past to point out she was 'dairy intolerant' not 'lactose intolerant' (whatever that means).
I think it could simply be explained as shes dairy intolerant, tried introducing small amounts of dairy back into her diet but it was giving her the runs so she’s stopped? I don’t think there needs to be a massive hoohah about it personally...

Reactions: 13
I think it could simply be explained as shes dairy intolerant, tried introducing small amounts of dairy back into her diet but it was giving her the runs so she’s stopped? I don’t think there needs to be a massive hoohah about it personally...
I agree it's not that deep, I wasn't trying to bash Grace I was just trying to give a reason why she might have been so drastic in eliminating all dairy in the past and why she's reluctant to talk about it now (that isn't to do with her secretly having an eating disorder which is clearly bollocks).

Reactions: 2

Strange because that’s exactly what happened to me. Now I’m ok.
I know people are curious (as am I) about Grace’s dairy situation and I know that she’s used to be open with us. But I wonder if she feels uncomfortable talking further about it. I can’t imagine having a large audience and being able under scrutiny

Oh oops, completely hadn't clocked this thread is in the 'rave about' forum. Apologies.
Personally I think this roast vs. rave divide is silly because no one is perfect and separating the forum in this way promotes both artificially harsh and glowing comments but that's off topic.

On the whole eating disorder thing...I think that because so many people have food issues, it is hard to believe that someone has such a good relationship with food especially when someone such as Grace is so slim. She hasn't ever restricted so doesn't binge or overindulge because of the prospect of dieting looming ahead. She don't seem to eat her feelings either. All the Booths are really lanky even their Dad who based on the what I eat a day swaps with Grace ought to be a lot more round than he is! She's just really lucky that she can have a balanced relationship with food with treats and pudding everyday and also look the way she does. The vast majority of us do have to restrict to look anywhere that thin so it's natural/expected that many people would be suspicious.

Reactions: 13
TW - ED.

I have an ED, and I occasionally watch Grace, not so much anymore, but I still love her content. I do not think that she has an ED. From her videos I think her relationship with food is healthy and she is just naturally skinny. However, I cannot say with full certainty what her relationship with food is like. But I don't think it is a cause for concern. She appears to have a balanced diet, and eats at set meal times with her family, who all seem to promote healthy relationships with food. This something I would never do during the worst periods of restriction, which is why it was so easy to hide my ED.

Grace has never over indulged or restricted in a video, and I truly believe that she listens to when her body needs food. She is an ex-model, and so it is likely that she just has a naturally slim body type, and has explained that she did not like the modelling industry. But appears to have a very healthy attitude towards her own body image.

As someone who has an ED, I feel that Grace's content is quite reassuring that you can have a healthy relationship with food. I feel that Grace is also acknowledges those who may have an ED, by posting trigger warnings on any content she feels may be particularly triggering. Her videos often make me feel safe and reassured in a way, and I like that.

I think people need to get out of the headspace of accusing others of having an ED purely due to their body size. That reinforces unhealthy ideals about eating disorders. If graces attitude towards food or body image was a cause for concern I think it would be different but in my opinion they are not.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I've not watched her in a long time, I think i may have to start watching her videos again!

She really is so down to earth though, not fake in the slightest and you can tell she puts alot of effort into her videos.

It is refreshing to see her staying true to herself and not being swept away in the YouTube craze and selling herself out to do any sponsors that come along, like many other YouTubers tend to do just to try and stay relevant and noticed.

She is one of the good ones!

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.