Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

birdiefly246

VIP Member
Just popping on the thread to say:

PLEASE don't do any diets that mean you're only eating one meal a day!! It will mess up your digestive system because your body gets used to not digesting food. I had anorexia and did this and now I have IBS as a result.

I think the best weight loss strategy is honestly a lifestyle change with an everything in moderation attitude. If you deny yourself something you're going to desperately want it. Either have a small bit, substitute it for something (for example, if you really like chocolate bars, try having a chocolate and nut cereal bar. It's not the same thing but it will satisfy the sweet craving and it is healthier) or cut down to once a day or tell yourself that you're only going to have it on weekends. (this works well with fizzy drinks and ice cream imo - nothing better than a Saturday night in with treats). It takes 21 days to break a habit so it really is going to be trial and error for what works for you.

Work with what you are as a person. Some people do not like breakfast, if you don't that's fine. Don't force it. I hate eating breakfast and I tried for ages to eat a healthy one at breakfast time. Now I normally have chocolate milkshake or nothing until around an hour and half later and then try some fruit or a cereal bar, or a healthy wrap. I still eat my healthy breakfast but I eat it as an evening snack. Still got the nutrition but not at the time where I hate it. If you force it you're just going to miserable. -also I find that if I eat breakfast 1. I'm hungrier throughout my day and 2. I can only have a few mouthfuls before I start to feel sick which is just pointless.

Don't look at the number on the scale, especially if you're weight lifting. I'm actually the heaviest I've ever been but I'm also the smallest and most toned. Measure inches if you want to but what's most important is how you feel (and to a degree how your clothes fit)

also on comfort eating, I can't remember the poster who said it but you absolutely can seek help for comfort eating. There's a reason that we eat for comfort and it's probably not your fault. Think about it, when you were a kid and you got an injection/went to hospital/had to have something done in the dentist, afterwards they give you a lollipop, or you'd be bought sweets etc. It's ingrained in you that food is a comfort. It comes with so much shame as well which is just so unhelpful. Remember that if you are comfort eating, then you do need the comfort so don't be nasty to yourself about it because you need it and that is the time you deserve the most love and care.

I'll be really honest about my own experiences with comfort eating. I ate McDonald's a lot (I'm talking almost every day, even if it was just some chips or whatever. I still struggle with this but it's a bit better now). Even at the worst of my anorexia I still ate McDonalds so, during a therapy session I went mental cause I'd had enough of feeling like I was addicted and having no control over it. We established that the reason I eat it so much is because when I was kid no one spent any time with me, food was just sort of thrown my way and it was always something that could just be chucked in the oven or the microwave. We never ate together. We didn't even own a dining table. I don't remember ever seeing my parents eat. They certainly never made healthy family meals.
After my parents split, once a week when my dad would pick me up from school and we'd go to McDonald's. It was the only time anyone ever sat with me and actually spent any time with me. It's really no wonder why it's such a comfort to me as an adult. Sounds airy-fairy but after I realised this, I really did just let it go and forgave myself for it. It's just what I need while I work on other things and it'll fall into place when I've sorted out the other stuff.

I didn't mean for this to be so long but it properly breaks my heart to see everyone on here beating themselves up. once again, don't want to sound like an airy fairy twat but please try and be kinder to yourselves and remember that you're not bad for eating food. There's no such thing as bad foods. There's just food with less value than other foods. Forgive yourself for not eating perfectly, it's okay. Just pick yourself up and try again for the next meal/snack ❤

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 27

LT31514

I put on a bit of weight in lockdown, nothing crazy but I want to lose about a stone. In the last ten says I’ve done 20k steps a day, drank 2 litres of water each day and stuck to 1200 calories (ish) nothing drastic but I’ve lost 4lbs and find myself getting full from the water. I’ve also stopped eating after 7pm at night. I know this isn’t for everyone but I found I was just getting lazy and into bad habits, cheese toastie at 11pm or eating all my meals in front of the tv

• Heart
Reactions: 22

birdiefly246

VIP Member
I just want to chime is as a recovering anorexic. When I was recovering they spoke to us about things like slimming world etc and the lady doing it said that the plan is for you to lose weight quickly and put the weight back on because they make money that way. Makes a lot of sense if you think about it, you lose weight so you know it works but the lifestyle isn't sustainable so you put it back on and then you go back to slimming world/ww etc cause you know it worked before.

She also said that they don't account for healthy fats etc. wholemeal toast and avocado etc is too many syns (not 100% sure of the details as I've never done it) but those are healthy foods. "Empty" calories (or less valuable foods which what they like to use with anorexic patients were I was) like kit kats or mugshots are allowed but they don't have near enough nutritional value like beans or avocado would.

I hope that helps a bit!

• Heart
Reactions: 20

caitlinbullen

VIP Member
The book ”I can make you thin” by Paul McKenna changed my approach and has served me better than any diet. I had tried everything over the years- Slimfast, Forever Living cleanses, Weight Watchers, soup diets, Special K diet, intermittant fasting, low carb. If it’s been a trend in the last 20 yrs you can bet your life I’d tried it. I was a diet junkie- always very good at losing weight, but just as good at putting it back on.

I was recommended the book by someone who had lost weight and kept it off, but I was really sceptical and purchased it thinking well it’s a way of putting off going back to Slimming World for a week or two while I read it!

It’s not brilliantly written (felt a little patronising at times- I’m probably a bit of a literary snob though!) but honestly.....from someone who has no vested interest in flogging you the book (and was kinda laughing at myself even reading it, like ‘Fucks sake, I’m educated, why am I reading this drivel.”) it’s the best £10 I’ve spent on myself in years. I read the book twice, listened to the accompanying CD, did the exercises, used the techniques he gives you, and I lost 3 stone over 2 years ago and have never looked back.

The essence of the book is to eat whatever you like, when you like. You can only eat food that you absolutely love (yep cake for breakfast is fine if that’s what you want), only ever when you’re hungry, really savour it, and stop when you’re full. Sounds easy right? It taught me so much about why I overeat eat, and that I probably hadn’t felt genuine hunger in about 20 years (🤪).It’s also given me a freedom around food that I never thought I could have- nothing is off limits.

It was emotional and difficult at times. One of the exercises asks you to put a post it note on your most visited kitchen cupboard that reads ‘What do you really need.?” and that got me for a while....made me tearful a few times. I realised that I genuinely used to eat because I was sad, or bored, or unfulfilled, or stressed, and what I needed was friendship, or a fucking break from my kids, or a hug, you know? There ain’t enuf biscuits in the world to sort that shit out, and until you fix those root causes, you will always turn to food!

Honestly, I’ve recommended it to so many people- Paul should send me a bloody royalty cheque or summat 😆

Read the Amazon reviews. Brill!
Good luck xxx

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 20

Readread

VIP Member
I'm an ex Slimming World user but now as I'm older I just cannot get my head around the method.

Eating as much pasta as one wants, eating 8 dairylea cheese triangles, having 5 bags of cheesy wotsits - all because it's "allowed" but couldn't have nuts or smoothies or avocado. Don't even get me started on how you can't have smoothies because blended fruit is synned but normal fresh fruit isn't - what a fucking farce. I did lose weight but as soon as I stopped I gained it all again. It's not a normal way of life. I've had so many arguments with my Sister-in-laws over it because they see it as a good way of losing weight but they cannot see how they've not managed to maintain the weight loss. It's just absurd.

• Heart
Reactions: 18

hrh89

VIP Member
Today I hit my lowest weight I’ve ever been! really pleased to have shifted the weight that I’d put on. Trying to stay on track till Christmas so I can have some treats.

ideally would like to lose another half a stone but I’m well within healthy weight for my height so not so much pressure now

Reactions: 16

Tabby23

Slimming World 100% gave me a distorted view of food and eating and unfortunately it developed into a binge eating disorder. I did lose 2 stone but have regained most again. The principles of SW were fine, eat lots of fresh fruit and veg, lean protein etc however it made me develop such an unhealthy relationship with food. I used to resent SlimmingWorld and thus would binge. As others have said, I can have a packet of crisps for fewer syns than a fruit smoothie?? I can have a mugshot or chocolate bar for fewer syns than avocado on whole meal toast?? I absolutely hated the meetings too...so cliquey. Trying to share how your week went while other ladies sitting in the corner whispered, talked and giggled over what everyone was trying to share, then take up about 20 minutes of the meeting for themselves. Rant over. So, so, so glad I’ve left it now. General healthy diet and regular exercise is working for me, I’m enjoying the avo on toast again!!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 13

Strawberry-pot

Chatty Member
Just out of curiosity because I have never tried slimming world, would you mind sharing how it can trigger eating disorders or bad eating habits?
Because you restrict food such as chocolate and crisps as it’s named “syns” you get 15 syns a day.. a packet of crisps is like 5 and chocolate bar 10 so that’s it then you need to plan the rest and go “syn feee” it’s really hard so then results in you being really restricted

I did it for 1 year and was so messed up. I wouldn’t allow myself a smoothie as it had syn value or an avocado.. the guilt was unreal.
I then found myself binging on chocolate etc

• Sad
  • Heart

orangelolly

Chatty Member
I know this is a SW thread but I had similar experiences with WW. Yes I lost 3 stone but the weird views of food because of the points system became too much. I could have a bacon and black pudding sandwich for less points that say beans on wholemeal toast. That to me just doesn't add up right! There's probably a better example out there but that's all I can think of right now.

Gembo

VIP Member
I lost 7 stone, I’ve regained almost 1 back since my mum died (comfort eating but it’s coming off again) the things that helped me were...

Getting really honest with myself once and for all and accepting that it was going to take me time, I just had to accept that and that it was better to spend 2 years losing weight slowly than 2 years remaining the same or gaining

Realising that I can have it all but only in moderation...meaning I can still eat things that I like but not only those things and lots of them...and that I will always have to exercise but that’s a good thing because it’s good for my mental health and keeps me healthy. To maintain a healthy weight I need to have balance and that is ok.

Not obsessing about losing weight. It used to be my complete and utter focus in the past when trying to lose, once I got started properly I tried to make it a background thing, eat well, exercise, let it happen by itself and try to forget about what I’m doing. I don’t know if that makes sense but honestly for me obsessing about it was depressing and took up a lot of energy (not the type that burns calories!)

No faddy diets! No skinny teas. No over complicating things. Eat less move more. I track my calories in my fitness pal and have done for the past 3 years. I know it’s not for everyone but I don’t find it a hassle and I’m happy to do it for the rest of my life if I have to, I accept that I find it very easy to overeat and underestimate calories so this keeps me on the straight and narrow!

Taking care of my body in other ways such as daily body brushing and moisturising. Little things that make my body feel nicer.

Not depriving myself if I really want it. It really is true that one takeaway or one missed workout won’t ruin your progress, it’s what you do most of the time that effects your results. If I’m too strict I end up bingeing so I do allow myself meals out, takeaways, and chocolate but I just try to balance it throughout the week.

Sorry if all this sounds preachy. I spent years battling my weight but I feel I’ve cracked it for life now by being honest with myself and doing it sensibly. The stone I’ve gained since my mum died still keeps me in my healthy weight range but just means I’m carrying a bit more around my hips and thighs than I’d like. I knew full well what I was doing as I gained that weight and I decided I needed that comfort and knew I would get back to where I needed to be when I was ready. I know that if I don’t exercise and eat rubbish the weight will go back on, it sucks but that’s just a fact I can’t avoid. I do have to work to stay in shape but I realised I wasn’t born under an unlucky star, a lot of people also have to work at it too. The key really is honesty and consistency xx

Smirkymirky

VIP Member
Thank you for creating this thread ❤

Followed sw for years, lost a fair bit of weight. Have switched to cal counting to try get rid of the unhealthy habits sw gave me - portion control and binge eating being two
Also I suppose issues with restricting, I know I wasn't the only one in my group that wouldn't eat all day before the 7pm weigh in, then would absolutely gorge myself on a mountain of shit food.

• Heart
Reactions: 12

JoeBloggs

VIP Member
Thanks for setting it up. I’m an ex slimming worlder who is stone heavier than when I joined 3/4 years ago. It made my binging worse.

I’m now calorie counting on nutracheck with about 1600 calories a day. I’m only a few days in and it’s going well so far. I need to get some exercise back in my life, pre lockdown I was a gym goer 3/4 times a week but home workouts are just not me.

I am struggling a bit as I feel guilty I could have lost so much in the last 3 months, I guess I should be great full I’ve maintained but it’s really playing on my mind.

I want to lose 3-3-5 stone and be a size 10/12.

• Heart
Reactions: 12

hrh89

VIP Member
Guys I found a really really nice pizza today in Sainsbury’s for only 400 calories. It’s enough for a dinner a decent size and tasted so nice. If any of you love pizza like me you should try this they had a few different ones ranging from 400-480 roughly.

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 11

hrh89

VIP Member
Carbs are not the enemy and will not stop you losing weight I’m sorry I’m just a bit fed of up of this mentality. You don’t need to track macros just be in a calorie deficit. I lost 6 stone a few years ago eating carbs, treats, good food alongside the obvious healthier options and fruit/veg. You can eat what you want just be in a calorie deficit.

• Heart
Reactions: 11

birdiefly246

VIP Member
Wow well done for overcoming your anarxia... that makes perfect sense it’s a business after all 😒
Thank you that is so kind. I have my bad days but I try my best.

I always get really upset when I see people so down about their weight! You can only love yourself into change. It doesn't come from hate. You should never hate yourself. Life is too short

• Heart
Reactions: 10

Smirkymirky

VIP Member
I'm really glad to know I'm not alone but it's horrific how many people have ended up with binging issues as a result of sw.

Reactions: 9

Bluerabbit123

Worst thing I ever did was slimming world. I used to be able to eat a 'normal' diet which was balanced... now I am all or nothing and binge eat as soon as I try and lose weight. Has seriously warped my brain and I dont know how to go back to normal 😭

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
Soooooo glad this thread is here. Thank you for creating it. 😊❤

I just have to say, I've been using Nutracheck for two days now and I LOVE IT! To be able to have cereal for breakfast and a sandwich for lunch!! I was so stuck in the "one or the other" rut. I'd rather have a sandwich packed with protein and salad than a mountain of pasta in bland sauce. 🤢 Mug Shots are the devil.

• Heart
Reactions: 8

fmmac

I was with sw for about a year and I've not been a member for about 3 years now and still have disordered behaviour around food. Joining was the worst thing I ever did. I'm now stuck in a binge and restrict cycle and the heaviest I've ever been.

• Sad
Reactions: 8