General kid thread - all ages have their challenges!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thought I’d start a thread for general parenting advice/venting as there doesn’t appear to be one!

I have 1 child, 8 year old and at the moment she is driving me round the bend with her smart mouth/attitude!

I know it’s a phase/hormonal but man it’s tough! Feel like she just wants to fight/ be the boss. I try and stay calm and remind her it’s ok to be frustrated but needs to not shout/scream etc!

please tell me I’m not alone 😂

Ooh yes, this is a good idea for a thread . Especially if it's just to have a rant , I'm sure I'll be here a lot.

Reactions: 3
Thought I’d start a thread for general parenting advice/venting as there doesn’t appear to be one!

I have 1 child, 8 year old and at the moment she is driving me round the bend with her smart mouth/attitude!

I know it’s a phase/hormonal but man it’s tough! Feel like she just wants to fight/ be the boss. I try and stay calm and remind her it’s ok to be frustrated but needs to not shout/scream etc!

please tell me I’m not alone 😂
My 10 year old is the biggest pain in my arse.
His attitude stinks!

Reactions: 1
My 10 year old is the biggest pain in my arse.
His attitude stinks!
It’s driving me up the wall! She’s like a total Jekyll and Hyde, they should come with an approach with caution warning!

I keep trying to explain that I’m trying to do my best so she grows up to be a respectable human, not because I’m trying to be mean and spoil her fun!

I feel like we’re back to the threenage years sometimes, she’ll only do what I asked if I stand over her like a drill sergeant. Then on the other hand she thinks she mature enough to go to the local shops herself 😂😂

Interesting thread … whata everyone’s experiences / stories / advice with rude step kids? I’m going insane!!!!

It’s driving me up the wall! She’s like a total Jekyll and Hyde, they should come with an approach with caution warning!

I keep trying to explain that I’m trying to do my best so she grows up to be a respectable human, not because I’m trying to be mean and spoil her fun!

I feel like we’re back to the threenage years sometimes, she’ll only do what I asked if I stand over her like a drill sergeant. Then on the other hand she thinks she mature enough to go to the local shops herself 😂😂
Mine has got to the smelly boy stage where unless I'm dragging him into the bathroom and placing him into the shower, he will refuse.
He seems to of also developed the skill of not being able to see the washing basket then having a paddy when his clothes aren't washed 🫠

Give me a threenager any day 😂

• Haha
Mine has got to the smelly boy stage where unless I'm dragging him into the bathroom and placing him into the shower, he will refuse.
He seems to of also developed the skill of not being able to see the washing basket then having a paddy when his clothes aren't washed 🫠

I’ve got this to look forward to 😂. Mine doesn’t know where the basket is located either, even though she has one in the corner of her room that’s hasn’t moved in years 🤦‍♀️
---
Interesting thread … whata everyone’s experiences / stories / advice with rude step kids? I’m going insane!!!!
In what way are they being rude? How long have you been in their life? How old are the kids?

I don’t have any experience of step children but I’m sure someone will

• Haha
Reactions: 2

You can have mine 🤣 having to resort to eating Nutella out of the jar to get me through today.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
@Monkeymagic85 - thanks for replying :) so it’s been about a year now, the kids aren’t necessarily rude to me, we get on good! There’s 2 of them - but they’re just so ungrateful and bratty in general? I absolutely can’t stand it. It drives me mental.

Hey guys so I've got a 2yo and a 9yo and it's the 9yo I'm severely struggling with! His bad behaviour is off the scale and he still has wild tantrums. He can't do a thing for himself no matter what we try to encourage. Has loud vocal outbursts almost like a tic and he flails his arms wildly too at times. He blurts out not just random noises & screams but also hate speeches is the only way I can describe it - how much he hates our cat, for example, and his brother, who he's jealous of. We ruled out autism when he was around 3/4 and i suspect more adhd. Although he behaves almost impeccably at school, at home is a different matter we think it's his safe space. What this means for us is he doesn't do as he's told. And worst his disrepesct for me and deliberately winding me up, I can't control him at all! He was such a placid baby and toddler but morphed into a devil come 4 years old. Any help appreciated!

@Monkeymagic85 - thanks for replying :) so it’s been about a year now, the kids aren’t necessarily rude to me, we get on good! There’s 2 of them - but they’re just so ungrateful and bratty in general? I absolutely can’t stand it. It drives me mental.
TBH that just seems to be kids in general these days, I’m working hard to stop the bratty behaviour from mine and remind her how lucky she is.

I also don’t think the OTT American YouTube videos help - we’ve put a stop to it.

I think they have such adifferent childhood these days - we were always out playing, there are no kids for mine to play with just old folk! I remember being scared of all the adults as they would tell you off no matter who you belonged to - people are scared to do that these days. I also think a wee skelp ever did me anyharm but is obviously a massive no no these days (not that I’m sure I could ever hit her if it wasn’t illegal)

I sometimes wonder if my parents generation think the same about our generation compared to theirs!

I have nothing to offer but sympathy and solidarity
---
Hey guys so I've got a 2yo and a 9yo and it's the 9yo I'm severely struggling with! His bad behaviour is off the scale and he still has wild tantrums. He can't do a thing for himself no matter what we try to encourage. Has loud vocal outbursts almost like a tic and he flails his arms wildly too at times. He blurts out not just random noises & screams but also hate speeches is the only way I can describe it - how much he hates our cat, for example, and his brother, who he's jealous of. We ruled out autism when he was around 3/4 and i suspect more adhd. Although he behaves almost impeccably at school, at home is a different matter we think it's his safe space. What this means for us is he doesn't do as he's told. And worst his disrepesct for me and deliberately winding me up, I can't control him at all! He was such a placid baby and toddler but morphed into a devil come 4 years old. Any help appreciated!
I don’t have any advice but totally understand your frustration. Apparently at this age (8 for girls, 9 for boys) they have a massive surge of hormones like pre puberty and they are still relatively undeveloped when it comes with dealing with emotion and can come out in tantrums, bad behaviour etc!

It’s so difficult and we had a massive meltdown/tantrum tonight because she didn’t do what I asked and as a consequence I said I wouldn’t play with Lego with her like I said I would (we try actions have consequences). She kicked off royally, I just left her to calm down, when she was reasonable I explained why it happened and reminded her it’s ok to be frustrated or annoyed but it’s not ok to be rude.

I have given up shouting too (mostly) I came from a shouty house and really hate it! Obviously I’m human so the lid does get blown!

Also look at the fact he feels comfortable enough in your presence to show his real emotions as a positive, he’s expressing how tit hes feeling about something, I’ve also found outbursts after school sometimes mean something that has upset her has happened, could this be a cause?

Again, not much advjce just solidarity! Parenting is a wild ride at all the ages

Last edited:
  • Heart
TBH that just seems to be kids in general these days, I’m working hard to stop the bratty behaviour from mine and remind her how lucky she is.

I also don’t think the OTT American YouTube videos help - we’ve put a stop to it.

I think they have such adifferent childhood these days - we were always out playing, there are no kids for mine to play with just old folk! I remember being scared of all the adults as they would tell you off no matter who you belonged to - people are scared to do that these days. I also think a wee skelp ever did me anyharm but is obviously a massive no no these days (not that I’m sure I could ever hit her if it wasn’t illegal)

I sometimes wonder if my parents generation think the same about our generation compared to theirs!

I have nothing to offer but sympathy and solidarity
---

I don’t have any advice but totally understand your frustration. Apparently at this age (8 for girls, 9 for boys) they have a massive surge of hormones like pre puberty and they are still relatively undeveloped when it comes with dealing with emotion and can come out in tantrums, bad behaviour etc!

It’s so difficult and we had a massive meltdown/tantrum tonight because she didn’t do what I asked and as a consequence I said I wouldn’t play with Lego with her like I said I would (we try actions have consequences). She kicked off royally, I just left her to calm down, when she was reasonable I explained why it happened and reminded her it’s ok to be frustrated or annoyed but it’s not ok to be rude.

I have given up shouting too (mostly) I came from a shouty house and really hate it! Obviously I’m human so the lid does get blown!

Also look at the fact he feels comfortable enough in your presence to show his real emotions as a positive, he’s expressing how tit hes feeling about something, I’ve also found outbursts after school sometimes mean something that has upset her has happened, could this be a cause?

Again, not much advjce just solidarity! Parenting is a wild ride at all the ages
Yeah it’s a hard one isn’t it. Kids these days are obsessed with tiktok, YouTube and video games. It’s hard when it’s not your own kid, because there’s so many things I wouldn’t allow the children to have or do if they were my own in order for them to not turn out spoilt and ungrateful!

Yeah it’s a hard one isn’t it. Kids these days are obsessed with tiktok, YouTube and video games. It’s hard when it’s not your own kid, because there’s so many things I wouldn’t allow the children to have or do if they were my own in order for them to not turn out spoilt and ungrateful!
Even when they are your own it’s a struggle! I always said mine wouldn’t get a phone before she was 10 (literally plays games and did watch YouTube and WhatsApp 😂), but she got one for her 8th birthday 😬.

It’s so hard to not give them too much but also not make them that kid that sticks out (I was that kid cruising about in matchstick trainers when the posh kids that went to my school had brands)

I already try and tell her that what people show on social media isn’t necessarily real and that she is beautiful as she is, I really hope social media becomes a bit more real before she’s a teenager and that girls are not still aspiring to look like a bratz doll!

I just try and remind myself it’s not going to be like this forever 😂

• Heart
Title is so true

I remember years ago reading each stage of parenting you think once this passes only for the next stage to have a new challenge. It really resonated with me at the time.

Title is so true

I remember years ago reading each stage of parenting you think once this passes only for the next stage to have a new challenge. It really resonated with me at the time.
I hated the newborn stage, but then she never slept and just ate boobies! (Didn’t sleep through the night till she was 4)

Whole other ball game when they start school isn’t it 😂

I know I’ll miss these days but it doesn’t make it any less tough does it

Getting the kids to bed / sleep is a challenge at te minute. They share a room and it's so light which doesn't help. I haven't really figured out the best way to go about it yet . I think me going in their room just makes me irritable.

Getting the kids to bed / sleep is a challenge at te minute. They share a room and it's so light which doesn't help. I haven't really figured out the best way to go about it yet . I think me going in their room just makes me irritable.
Do they have tvs or any gadgets in their rooms?