Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

bobby768

Wow, I just read that sex toy article and it’s really really bad. Twice refers to ‘penis owners’ or ‘penis-having partner’ - can we really not say men now for fear of offending the woke brigade?!

All the language is cringey as fuck and it’s patently obvious they haven’t actually tried these things out, just parroted out the advertising spiel in order to promote the affiliate links. Plus, a number of the toys are well over the £100 price point - one I think is nearly £200! Even if you buy that her audience has grown up with her, how many early-mid 20s have a couple of hundred quid to spend on a vibrator?! Really?

Not all men have penises and not all people with penises are men. The fact that they are using inclusive language is a good thing.
And more importantly, it's not about 'offending the woke brigade', it's about not erasing the existence of trans, non-binary and intersex people. Transphobia is rife, and with all the shitty laws that have been passed recently using inclusive language is the very least we can do.

insectoverlords

Can I ask a genuine question about this? I totally agree that it is good to be inclusive but I think that ‘Penis-Owners’ and ‘People with vaginas’ actually just draws more attention the the differences between trans and non-trans people. It’s highlighting it because it’s not normal language to describe groups of people.

It also seems to ‘define people by their genitals’ which is something I’ve often seen trans support campaigns arguing against.

If the narrative is that trans men are just men and trans women are just women...why can’t we just say ‘men’ and ‘women’ (and non-binary / other if needed). Then whichever one you identify as, go for it, right?
When talking about something directly related to your genitals (such as periods or sex toys) it's not about "defining people by their genitals" to use inclusive language it's just practical. It's exclusionary to say "ladies let's discuss your vagina" when not all ladies have vaginas and there's men with vaginas who would like that advice without being referred to as a woman.
ETA: while these terms might sound a little clunky at the moment to some, I think with time people will get more used to these terms and then hurrah we have more inclusive language that comfortably fits into the conversation!

HockyRorror

VIP Member
YES. And people are just eating it up.
I’m still not 100% convinced! It just seem so bit too knowing, the use of “literal decades”. But maybe that’s just how I’m looking at it and maybe clinging onto some hope of sanity prevailing. Seeing at the attention it’s got I hope he turns around and says “not really, was just trollin LOL” and then count the ways he is vilified and the backtracks of how “he wasn’t really trans” even though he said he was and that’s how he identified as and apparently that’s all it takes..