Gender Discussion #42

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Previous thread.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Has anyone seen the Tom Hanks movie A Man Called Otto? It’s based on a Swedish book and in the book there’s a character who’s kicked out for being a gay male but in the movie it’s a trans man instead.

Obviously, it’s to appeal to a modern audience but i thought it was a pretty silly change. I know it’s not a particularly huge deal, I just thought I’d point it out.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 19
Has anyone seen the Tom Hanks movie A Man Called Otto? It’s based on a Swedish book and in the book there’s a character who’s kicked out for being a gay male but in the movie it’s a trans man instead.

Obviously, it’s to appeal to a modern audience but i thought it was a pretty silly change. I know it’s not a particularly huge deal, I just thought I’d point it out.
It's happening all over. I don't know whether anyone here has read Vox by Christina Dalcher, but she had a film deal for that book and the studio sent the script to her with one of her lesbian characters changed to a transwoman. She's killed off the deal and won't let them make the film. After I read her most recent one, Femlandia, I thought she must be GC so went looking for her Twitter, and she absolutely is - will be buying her next book, out this summer, on release. She writes dystopian women's fiction, if you liked The Handmaid's Tale you'd probably like her stuff.

• Heart
Reactions: 47
Has anyone seen the telegraphs story about the Welsh government telling teachers children as young as 7 could be "mixed berry gender fluid muffins" I mean, seriously?! I am SO glad my teens are nearly out the school system and my younger ones are home educated. The way the world is going I won't be sending the younger ones to school ever.

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 28
My DD goes to a Catholic school (nope, we’re not Catholic in the slightest) and no joke they are far more tolerant of kids critiquing and questioning the religion and the existence of God (they don’t even need to be baptised or practicing to attend) than other schools are of kids questioning wtf with all this gender stuff. The fact that this has so quickly, so suddenly infiltrated schools from the top down is truly bizarre and ill thought out.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 29
It's happening all over. I don't know whether anyone here has read Vox by Christina Dalcher, but she had a film deal for that book and the studio sent the script to her with one of her lesbian characters changed to a transwoman. She's killed off the deal and won't let them make the film. After I read her most recent one, Femlandia, I thought she must be GC so went looking for her Twitter, and she absolutely is - will be buying her next book, out this summer, on release. She writes dystopian women's fiction, if you liked The Handmaid's Tale you'd probably like her stuff.

I've just ordered Hags (the Kindle edition is €11.99 😫) but has anyone read this?
Screenshot_20230313-134956_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: 6

I've read the book, won't be watching the film.

Reactions: 5
I've just ordered Hags (the Kindle edition is €11.99 😫) but has anyone read this?
View attachment 2025223
It's in my wish list, so hoping to read it soon, as is Hags. I just have a pile of books to get through first because I seem to have hit a reading wall.
---

Good for her for sticking by her intellectual property, why do they have to change characters like that? It's almost as if you can't have lesbian characters in films any more.

Reactions: 22

I love Christina Dalchers books. Femlandia was a bit grim for me in places, the idea of a women only colony was great although there were parts that made me question if she was GC or not or whether she might be more critical of GC theory. So glad to hear she is GC!

Reactions: 11
Don't know whether it's been mentioned here already but has anyone seen the TIMs kicking off about the Lesbian Project launched by Julie Bindel, Kathleen Stock, and Martina Navratilova? (More info on the project here: https://www.theguardian.com/comment...te-only-to-findlesbians-slipped-back-of-queue)

I keep seeing the TIMs and handmaidens going on about how it's exclusionary of trans lesbians... Well yes, because men aren't lesbians, that's the point!!
Women's rights and single sex spaces by their very nature are exclusionary! Absurd to suggest they should be inclusive of men!

• Heart
Reactions: 29
Don't know whether it's been mentioned here already but has anyone seen the TIMs kicking off about the Lesbian Project launched by Julie Bindel, Kathleen Stock, and Martina Navratilova? (More info on the project here: https://www.theguardian.com/comment...te-only-to-findlesbians-slipped-back-of-queue)

I keep seeing the TIMs and handmaidens going on about how it's exclusionary of trans lesbians... Well yes, because men aren't lesbians, that's the point!!
Cannot let the women meet without any men present. Oh Lordy no. Spoilt entitled fuckers.

• Angry
Reactions: 25
I'm starting to see some chatter on LinkedIn around 'relationship diversity' under the inclusion banner. No clarity on what this means, from the post I saw, but my spidey senses are on alert.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 11
Always "girl" isn't it. These groups are full of these men, with women fawning all over them.

I don't give a tit if men want to wear dresses, but the patronising way they are pandered to way more than any woman would be is really telling.

Screenshot_20230313_174412_Facebook.jpg

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 38
Always "girl" isn't it. These groups are full of these men, with women fawning all over them.

I don't give a tit if men want to wear dresses, but the patronising way they are pandered to way more than any woman would be is really telling.

View attachment 2025717
It's one thing for some women to feel pressurised into complimenting a man like this when they are in the room with you, for example the break room at work with other colleagues, because of social pressure/fear, but what I do not understand is women posting fawning comments online, where there is no such pressure to compliment/ be kind, the bloke isn't there intimidating you in the same room in this case, so why voluntarily fawn?! It blows my mind. I'm someone who doesn't give out compliments when don't mean it 😅 so I just don't understand why these men get so much praise for wearing tights and a vintage dress?!

What an annoys me is seeing women of a more advanced age, who have gone through decades of bullshit, been passed over promotion at work in days gone by, have been catcalled, called hysterical, fobbed off by doctors, etc etc, voluntarily then telling a bloke in a frock that he looks fabulous and heaping lots of superfluous praise. I think we need to stop giving false compliments, because surely these women commenters are not being truthful there?! Surely not!

Come on women, we need to stop fawning. Stop inflating egos and giving permission to this nonsense ideology.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 54
It's one thing for some women to feel pressurised into complimenting a man like this when they are in the room with you, for example the break room at work with other colleagues, because of social pressure/fear, but what I do not understand is women posting fawning comments online, where there is no such pressure to compliment/ be kind, the bloke isn't there intimidating you in the same room in this case, so why voluntarily fawn?! It blows my mind. I'm someone who doesn't give out compliments when don't mean it 😅 so I just don't understand why these men get so much praise for wearing tights and a vintage dress?!

What an annoys me is seeing women of a more advanced age, who have gone through decades of bullshit, been passed over promotion at work in days gone by, have been catcalled, called hysterical, fobbed off by doctors, etc etc, voluntarily then telling a bloke in a frock that he looks fabulous and heaping lots of superfluous praise. I think we need to stop giving false compliments, because surely these women commenters are not being truthful there?! Surely not!

Come on women, we need to stop fawning. Stop inflating egos and giving permission to this nonsense ideology.
I absolutely agree. I also hardly ever believe a compliment anymore because women are routinely telling men like this they look "stunning".

Also, I've always been of the opinion that clothes are clothes but he just looks bleeping ridiculous.

Reactions: 35

And they’re quick with the bitchy comments to other women when it suits them.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 36

View attachment 2025717
That photo gave me a right cackle. As @petitspois says, if that were a woman, she'd be getting all sorts of crappy comments. But because it's a man in a dress all he gets is "oh hun you look amazing xoxoxo wish I had your legs 😘😘"

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 35
I think women who indulge in these bullshit compliments get some kind of little self righteous frisson, a little dopamine hit because of how ‘inclusive’, tolerant and right on they are being. I can’t help wondering if it’s because social media has made people measure their self worth by how many like reacts they get and a sure fire way of ensuring that is by complying by the behavioural rules of the peer group you are in.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 52
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.