Gas and Elec increase.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Not sure if there's already a thread on this as I know everyone is in the same boat.
I just got my new price through today.
We were paying £93 a month. And they're increasing it to £269 a month!

I was expecting a £50-£70 increase. Not over £170 increase!

Just curious how much other people's have gone up

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 16
My whole life I’ve paid around £50 a month. They now want £150 from me. I have no idea how I’m supposed to afford it.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 6
My whole life I’ve paid around £50 a month. They now want £150 from me. I have no idea how I’m supposed to afford it.
It's crazy isn't it?
With only a month notice too!
I have no idea how I'm supposed to find £170 extra a month!

Reactions: 1
Not sure if there's already a thread on this as I know everyone is in the same boat.
I just got my new price through today.
We were paying £93 a month. And they're increasing it to £269 a month!

I was expecting a £50-£70 increase. Not over £170 increase!

Just curious how much other people's have gone up
So we were originally with pure planet at £76 for gas and electric, when they went bust they swapped us to shell energy, the payments have been creeping up and they are estimating us to be £197 a month…
There is no way I’m changing my direct debit to this, we’re already in credit so rightly or wrongly we’re going to hang on and see what happens.
scary times ahead for everyone!!

Reactions: 3
I'm with EON and I was paying £77 a month which has now gone up to £125. I'm £250 in credit as I rarely use my gas due to having log burners. I was looking at the changed when I switched a few weeks ago as my fixed term is ending in May, does anyone know how they are allowed to double the standing charges?!?

Reactions: 4
Mine went from £44 to £141. I've managed to get it down to £100.
can i ask how you managed that?

im trying to sort my mums out. Her gas and electricity company are asking for an extortionate amount even though she barely uses anything.

basically if they insist on that, her basic pension will ONLY cover that. No idea where she will pay her rent or food bills from.

It's crazy isn't it?
With only a month notice too!
I have no idea how I'm supposed to find £170 extra a month!
You can push back on the rise. Give your energy provider a call and say you don’t want to pay that much/can’t pay that much, especially if you can prove your usage isn’t huge. They should be able to find you a better monthly price. Whilst prices have gone up, some providers are putting DDs up even higher than they need to be to help with cash flow.

We’re on a fixed tariff, which has only gone up by £5 (£95 to £100) but we’re always in credit so I don’t understand why it’s gone up at all, and I really don’t understand how they’re putting some up by such an extortionate amount? Is it better to get rid of the direct debit and just pay quarterly based on what you’ve actually used?

Reactions: 2
We’re on a fixed tariff, which has only gone up by £5 (£95 to £100) but we’re always in credit so I don’t understand why it’s gone up at all, and I really don’t understand how they’re putting some up by such an extortionate amount? Is it better to get rid of the direct debit and just pay quarterly based on what you’ve actually used?
We were on a fixed tarrif which ends next month. And we're always in credit.
Infact, I just withdrew £140 and there's still £70 credit on there. And that's after winter!

You can push back on the rise. Give your energy provider a call and say you don’t want to pay that much/can’t pay that much, especially if you can prove your usage isn’t huge. They should be able to find you a better monthly price. Whilst prices have gone up, some providers are putting DDs up even higher than they need to be to help with cash flow.
That's interesting! I didn't know that!

I know you can't currently switch whilst the invreases are going on.
I'm wondering if by the end of April, we'll be able to though 🤔

We were on a fixed tarrif which ends next month. And we're always in credit.
Infact, I just withdrew £140 and there's still £70 credit on there. And that's after winter!
I know they can increase it even if you’re in credit to ride out any discrepancies, but going up that much seems like it must be wrong? I’d give them a call and pushback!

So we were originally with pure planet at £76 for gas and electric, when they went bust they swapped us to shell energy, the payments have been creeping up and they are estimating us to be £197 a month…
There is no way I’m changing my direct debit to this, we’re already in credit so rightly or wrongly we’re going to hang on and see what happens.
scary times ahead for everyone!!
We moved house last year and the previous owner was signed up to Pure Planet who had no phone number available to provide our initial meter reading to. Within a week they’d gone bust.

Dealing with Shell Energy has been hellish. Initially they denied being our supplier despite sending us two letters telling us they were - one to say they’d been assigned our new supplier and the other to say they’d be sending a bill soon. Then after 4 months we got sent a bill with an estimated electricity reading which we paid.

The estimated reading was for more electricity than we’d used but as rates were going up it made sense not to quibble. They then sent another bill a month after that requesting £100 despite the fact that I’d already set up a direct debit out that was scheduled for 15th of the month (letter was dated 4th).

Checked the meter and we were still below what we’d already paid for so went onto their chat function to get this recognised and the person on chat acknowledged the bill was too high but wanted to adjust it to £15 owing. She could not understand when I said that we had not yet used all the electricity we had paid for and therefore should be in credit. She kept saying the bill we paid was estimated - yes, estimated wrongly saying we’d used more than we had. Eventually she hung up the chat. I then had to phone, wait for 30 mins to speak to someone, who then put me through to the finance team who said this bill didn’t need to be paid but still could not confirm we were in credit.

I would love to change providers but it seems it’s really risky to do that at the moment unless anyone can advise otherwise.

As we live in the countryside we don’t have gas available and have to buy heating oil which has doubled in price since December and is even more expensive than gas. I’ve paid £1000 in less than 6m.

I just don’t know how all of this is sustainable?! Pay is not increasing at or above the rate of inflation. I also wonder what the point is of investments in green energy if they do not lower prices?

• Wow
can i ask how you managed that?

im trying to sort my mums out. Her gas and electricity company are asking for an extortionate amount even though she barely uses anything.

basically if they insist on that, her basic pension will ONLY cover that. No idea where she will pay her rent or food bills from.
It's a terrible situation for those already on the breadline having to choose between eating on heating. Unfortunately though we are all in the same position because I'm sure there's people who have stretched their finances already now to be hit with a £100-300+ monthly outgoing

They tried to put mine up to £165 after paying £90 with utility point who went bust. I said I wasn’t paying that as I knew I had £200 coming back to me in credit. Anyway, they reduced it to £145 but I also paid £50 off what I owed (£105) and they lowered it to £130. It’s a lot, but happy to pay that as I know come summer it’ll be nothing
My mum was in debit with hers, and they allowed her to back back what she owes monthly. I think it’s something like £8 a month.
There are definitely other options, they just don’t like telling people
Also, I don’t understand
1 - why did the government think it was acceptable to allow the cap to be raised 54(?)% and
2 - why did they all jump on the bandwagon and hike their prices up?
while the fat cats at the top are sitting on millions, if not billions!! It will also get worse come October when they will put it up again.
It’s an absolute joke!

Reactions: 8
They tried to put mine up to £165 after paying £90 with utility point who went bust. I said I wasn’t paying that as I knew I had £200 coming back to me in credit. Anyway, they reduced it to £145 but I also paid £50 off what I owed (£105) and they lowered it to £130. It’s a lot, but happy to pay that as I know come summer it’ll be nothing
My mum was in debit with hers, and they allowed her to back back what she owes monthly. I think it’s something like £8 a month.
There are definitely other options, they just don’t like telling people
Also, I don’t understand
1 - why did the government think it was acceptable to allow the cap to be raised 54(?)% and
2 - why did they all jump on the bandwagon and hike their prices up?
while the fat cats at the top are sitting on millions, if not billions!! It will also get worse come October when they will put it up again.
It’s an absolute joke!
It's crazy. There was me complaining when they put it up by £13 2 years ago 😂😂
I kept complaining about paying £93 a month even though I was always in credit. And now £268. That's for their fixed tarriff
Or they've given me the option of doing nothing and going onto a variable tariff for £257.
No thanks. If I'm paying that much extra, I may as well pay another £10 and not risk them changing prices at any point 😂

It's crazy. There was me complaining when they put it up by £13 2 years ago 😂😂
I kept complaining about paying £93 a month even though I was always in credit. And now £268. That's for their fixed tarriff
Or they've given me the option of doing nothing and going onto a variable tariff for £257.
No thanks. If I'm paying that much extra, I may as well pay another £10 and not risk them changing prices at any point 😂
Yer, definitely don’t do variable in this climate. They’re absolute robbers
I’ve also been one to complain about it being just over £90 when I used to pay £70. Oh how I wish I could go back to a cheaper time 😂

I'm not sure if this is true for everyone but hasn't this winter been so mild you've barely used your heating anyway?! I mean last year I'd be putting my gas on for maybe 45mins in the morning before waking up to take the edge off (my house drops down to 6-7 degrees normally in the winter) but I'd say I've probably put my heating on a handful of times since Christmas because it's barely dropped to 10! Please don't think I sit in my house when it's 10 degrees in the evening, as I said before I have wood burners which costs me about £250 a year in wood.

I'm not sure if this is true for everyone but hasn't this winter been so mild you've barely used your heating anyway?! I mean last year I'd be putting my gas on for maybe 45mins in the morning before waking up to take the edge off (my house drops down to 6-7 degrees normally in the winter) but I'd say I've probably put my heating on a handful of times since Christmas because it's barely dropped to 10! Please don't think I sit in my house when it's 10 degrees in the evening, as I said before I have wood burners which costs me about £250 a year in wood.
Definitely a very mild winter. Like you, I would have the heating on for 45 mins in the morning and 2 hours in the evening. Barely used that. I had it on for half hour earlier because it got a bit chilly
It can’t be too cold, as my kids walk around in their pants 😂 only one who complains is the 12 year old 🙄

Definitely a very mild winter. Like you, I would have the heating on for 45 mins in the morning and 2 hours in the evening. Barely used that. I had it on for half hour earlier because it got a bit chilly
It can’t be too cold, as my kids walk around in their pants 😂 only one who complains is the 12 year old 🙄
I don't know if I've got used to the cold after being in this house for four years! When I first moved in I had the heating on for three hours a day during the winter, the next year I cut it down to two 🤣 my boyfriend frustrates me, running hot water to rinse his hands for five seconds 😠. I'm tempted to put some solar panels on my garage roof soon, I do need to look in to if it's worth doing because they've just cut the VAT on renewables!