Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Tifastrife

VIP Member
I recently got a house with a garden and I’m a complete novice! I’d like to have a little flower bed in this space and it’s probably a stupid question but what do I need? Pull up all these weeds, put down a liner and top with soil/compost? Also open to suggestion of low maintenance/beginner planets as it were!

Attachments

Tifastrife

VIP Member
Congrats on the house! :)

I wouldn't personally put soil over liner, normally you would plant through liner (put it down and then cut an 'x' and peel it back to plant in) and top with gravel or bark to weigh it down/make it look pretty...

What sort of plants are you thinking? perennials like lavender or roses? or some bedding plants just for the summer?

I've always done well with snapdragons and fuchsias (totally slug proof) and geraniums are really good for people (like me) who aren't good at regularly watering them.

You could even do some sweet peas, grow them up some canes (make like a teepee with some bamboo sticks and string) and just pick them regularly to keep them flowering.

Gardening is just trial and error, plant what you think looks pretty and see what happens :)

Good Luck ❤
Thank you! I did think lavender would be nice. And good to know re slug proof cause there are soooo many slugs here!

Doodlebug005

VIP Member
Hi all! A bit of advice please- I have strawberries using up 2 raised elho planters- i’d rather use them for lettuce- what could i move them into? I container plant mainly- back problems so don’t dig and avoid bending if I can- any ideas gratefully accepted!

coconochanel

VIP Member
Morning ! looking for 2 bits of info please- my potatoes aren’t chitting ( in polytunnel)
also my african daisy seeds are very leggy - any advice re either - thanks
what type of potatoes are they? is the polytunnel warm enough? I put my in my kitchen window in an egg box.

Al Fresco

VIP Member
What bulbs is everyone planting for spring?
I’m going to add some more white tulips as they seemed to last the longest, plus muscari, anenome, and I think I’ll have a go at these.

cococookie

Chatty Member
Do any of you have a hanging basket? We bought a hanging basket, what flowers would look really nice in it? As you can tell I don’t know much about gardening and flowers 😅

Doodlebug005

VIP Member
I want to grow some Potatoes just need to get a tub to grow them in 😊 . Also want some new garden furniture this year so will be shopping around for that.
I’d like to do potatoes this year- my sister put me off a few years ago - talking about spraying for blight😵💫 I thought it was beyond me- Have success with rhubarb, raspberries, strawberries, courgettes, cucumbers, salad veg etc… but I fancy my own new spuds- any advice would be welcome🙏