Friends (or lack of) #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
God I can see myself in so many of these comments, going to tell my story if that’s okay.

I’m in my late 20s and finally coming to terms with the fact I’ll probably never have a friendship group of any size let alone a best friend.

I thought I did, I had my best friend that moved away for uni and we’ve kept in touch and saw each other when we can. We haven’t really spoken since august last year, she drifted a tad when she had family things going on which is fine then out of the blue she text me saying she’d brought me a Christmas present and wanted to drop it round but couldn’t stay. Then it was back to next to no contact, I’ve tried to reach out multiple times with no response so I’ve started to accept that maybe she’s not my person anymore.

Reactions: 16
I had a friend our kids were a year apart met at a kiddy group went to each others houses etc then stopped contacting and she seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth I haven't seen her in about 2 years

Reactions: 3
Little bit of a rant…saw my best mate yesterday and she told me she had booked her little boys birthday party and told me who was going etc. about 2 minutes later she goes, “come if you want” I went it would be a bit weird wouldn’t it, only person without a child there and not technically related.. she was no it wouldn’t be weird but it’s up to you.

The “come if you want” always comes across to me as “ I’ve told you plans that you haven’t been included in and now it’s awkward”

I don’t really want to go as 1, I don’t have a kid, 2 I wasn’t invited until she told me what she had done for the party and 3 I don’t want her to feel she has to sit with me the whole time!

What excuse can I use to not go? She will say you’ve been at the other 2 party’s etc

I don’t particularly want to go to a snotty soft play and have a headache and stand out like a sore thumb feel like I should just say it’s okay, you don’t need to invite me to everything anymore

Reactions: 9
Use Covid as an excuse, it’s my one for stuff I really don’t want to go to and no one questions. Parents won’t want you there if ‘you may have it’

Reactions: 7
I think you could say oh it sounds like you’ll be very busy at the party, I will drop round to see you all afterwards? I don’t know how close you are to the little boy but at 2 they need a lot of taking round so when I went to my nephew’s party (1) at a soft play I took my other nephew (who was 3) around on the equipment while my sisters gossiped. I’ve actually always liked getting involved with the kids play times because it means I don’t have to interact so much with adults.

Reactions: 5
Something doesn’t sound right here. It screams controlling new partner. Like if you are childhood friends why not see each other on your own? You are friends. Does she see other people do you know? Something doesn’t sit right with me.

Reactions: 6
I don’t have friends and haven’t for years, I don’t mention it to anyone because you definitely feel judged.

I had terrible anxiety for years when I was in my teens and early twenties and didn’t leave the house for quite long periods of time, so I did miss out on a lot of things people my age were enjoying including building new friendships. But hey! My life is completely different now and I’m very lucky the anxiety doesn’t often rear its ugly head.

I’m pretty content with my own company and don’t really feel lonely. I’ll admit I would like a mate to do certain things with like concerts (I want to tick Pink off my list!) I think that would be more fun than going alone. Even just having someone on my wavelength to chat and have a laugh with.

Over the past five years I thought I had a couple of genuine friendships but once I’d served my purpose that was it done. Maybe I’m better off on my tod less aggro.

Reactions: 14
Has anyone had a friend who seems really nice on the surface but sometimes can give hater vibes? Like for example not liking any of your posts on social media but always being one of the first to view them, and sometimes recalling events differently that make you feel a bit uncomfortable? Its hard to put into words but sometimes I just feel a bit uncomfortable by their actions without them *actually* doing anything

Reactions: 13
Apologies if this has been covered before but I haven't read all of the posts - what do people do about dating when you don't have many/any friends? I feel like introducing a potential partner to each other's friends is a "thing", but I would struggle to do that! And my lack of family makes it even more awkward.

Reactions: 7
Yes, the friend I mentioned who didn’t reply to me when I mentioned meeting up. I have realised now she was a bit like that, she never liked any of my pictures, she also never uploaded any pictures of us together but she was forever taking pictures and videos with other people she spent time with.

When we have met up in the past with our partners and kids, she never seemed to have that much to say to me and would just stay close to her kids while I chatted to her partner but when I’ve been around her and her other friends have been there, she is much more chatty and happy. I know these are only little things that maybe some might not even notice but I’m now wondering, did she ever really like me?

Yeah I had a 'friend' who appeared interested in me when she would ask how I was... Then I realised it was always really specific questions so she could criticise me.

The recalling events differently would be a red flag for me.

Finding myself feeling really jealous lately of people with a good group of friends. Keep seeing FB and Insta posts of people I know with their “besties” “girls” “friends for life” “sister from another mister” “girl gang” etc etc and just feel serious FOMO. Even if I see friends or go out, no one posts shit like that. I don’t have people I can call on to collect my kids if I’m in a jam, or people who’d look after me if I was sick or would help me move house or whatever. I am not in the close work colleague clan, my (very old!!) school friends all have others they’re closer to, my one mum friend has besties, I don’t have my mum, my dad is utterly useless, my sister is proper self involved, my in laws don’t really like me. Just have my husband. And he’s a legend, don’t get me wrong, I know I’m lucky to have him and my daughters. But I can’t help but just feel this sense of being left out and somehow not good enough to be a top tier friend to someone.

Reactions: 17
How can I overcome social anxiety making me go a bit weird? I’ve gotten into a terrible habit of saying awkward or vaguely inappropriate things, I can hear it happening and regret as I’m saying something, but as I can see their reaction it then puts me on edge and makes my awkwardness stand out even more

Reactions: 8