Flying the Nest (Stephen and Jess Parry-Valentine)

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Started their own thread following a conversation in the Kara and Nate thread. @FetterFriend @Former_Antelopee @aimz_yeah

Flying the Nest is a travel vlog run by a husband and wife team (Stephen and Jess). They are now joined by their baby daughter. Occasionally, they are joined by Stephen’s sister (who they seem to have a very close relationship with, sharing rooms and stuff). Their families make occasional appearances (including Stephen’s mum, who gives off a very odd energy). There was a moment in time when Jess hadn’t seen her family in years and years, which seemed a bit strange as they would come home and see Stephen’s family all the time.

They are both Australian (however, Stephen was born in South Africa but his parents left in the aftermath of apartheid ending - this may be completely innocent but seems very problematic but hasn’t really been explored, I don’t think).

I always used to enjoy their travel videos and, despite being completely averse to family vlogging and lifestyle channels, became extremely gripped at the start of the first lockdown when they were documenting their move into a home and birth of their daughter.

I must say that I haven’t watched much now that they have gone travelling as a family. I don’t really know how sustainable the channel will be once their daughter has to go into school…

Back before they were married, I was always convinced it would end in tears because Stephen was gay lol but it seems he isn’t!

Reactions: 4
I've liked some of their travel videos but often found them a bit too "nice". Completely lost interest post baby, but I think the pandemic could have played a part in that also.

They generally did seem to be more of the "grounded" travel bloggers and generally didn't really get an ego, I'll give them that.

Reactions: 3
I quite like them but sometimes I do wonder if they ever get annoyed in their lives lmao it's all SMILES and EXCITEMENT which i guess is for the vlog

• Haha
Reactions: 2
I've liked some of their travel videos but often found them a bit too "nice". Completely lost interest post baby, but I think the pandemic could have played a part in that also.

They generally did seem to be more of the "grounded" travel bloggers and generally didn't really get an ego, I'll give them that.
Same here! I enjoyed their videos but it fizzled for me.

I enjoy them, it's nice seeing Australians doing well! Jess worked as a teacher before they started travelling, so maybe they will homeschool Hunter. It's funny, I used to watch Sophie and Dave and they had their kid around the same time as Stephen and Jess, shouldn't compare, but the differences are amazing. They go to the Queensland theme parks and Disney World, yet Sophie and Dave struggled at a day at Legoland.

As I said on the other thread I like them, but don’t watch all their videos. I think I used to watch them all the time but since covid I haven’t. I just prefer them to other travel accounts as not found one that I prefer more.
I used to like the way away but I still think I preferred flying the nest.

I always like travel vloggers when they start off, because it is showing the struggles of travel as well as the highs. Show me how to get from the train station/airport to the city centre cheaply, cheap cuisine, what to see. It's all turned a bit luxurious, Kara and Nate a perfect example.

Reactions: 4
I discovered FTN through their early Japan videos as I watched them when I was preparing to go myself. I still follow them and think they are really genuine lovely people but I find them quite bland. They never have a negative opinion on anything and their travels are quite formulaic. Granted I haven't watched many of their videos since they started travelling with Hunter but when it was just the two of them they would go to different places and show the same content - hotel room tours, food tours, first impressions etc. I never felt they fully immersed themselves in the cultures they were visiting and there was no sense of adventure.

I don't really enjoy family channels so I probably won't be watching them anymore but I imagine they will just visit a lot of the same places they visited before and their content will become even more vanilla since they'll be restricted by having a toddler.

Although I would be really intrigued to see what they do when either they have another child or Hunter has to go to school. Perhaps they could home school her but personally I think that would be quite selfish of them as Hunter would miss out on interacting with children of her own age as well as a lack of stability from moving around all the time.

I discovered FTN through their early Japan videos as I watched them when I was preparing to go myself. I still follow them and think they are really genuine lovely people but I find them quite bland. They never have a negative opinion on anything and their travels are quite formulaic. Granted I haven't watched many of their videos since they started travelling with Hunter but when it was just the two of them they would go to different places and show the same content - hotel room tours, food tours, first impressions etc. I never felt they fully immersed themselves in the cultures they were visiting and there was no sense of adventure.

I don't really enjoy family channels so I probably won't be watching them anymore but I imagine they will just visit a lot of the same places they visited before and their content will become even more vanilla since they'll be restricted by having a toddler.

Although I would be really intrigued to see what they do when either they have another child or Hunter has to go to school. Perhaps they could home school her but personally I think that would be quite selfish of them as Hunter would miss out on interacting with children of her own age as well as a lack of stability from moving around all the time.
Bland is a good word. Nothing really wrong with them but not always very captivating

I actually quite enjoyed their Australian van life and I'm happy they will return to it soon. Hunter is adorable, at first I wasn't convinced that I would continue watching after her birth, but I still enjoy having their videos in the background while folding laundry 😂

Is this the Australian duo travel people? I thought they are in a Will and Grace type relationship before I found out they were actually married. I thought they were a gay guy and his sister or ex-gf.

Another boring and lukewarm couple on YouTube who do mostly product advertisements posing as travel experience.

Are there any genuine people on YouTube that do travel videos without selling crap or a giant advertisement for some hotel or schemes?

Most of them put me to sleep with their tourist trap videos and those women faking smiles and acting for a script.

I always like travel vloggers when they start off, because it is showing the struggles of travel as well as the highs. Show me how to get from the train station/airport to the city centre cheaply, cheap cuisine, what to see. It's all turned a bit luxurious, Kara and Nate a perfect example.
kara and Nate videos are just acting for their sponsors. There is no genuine experience in watching their videos and they will go wherever their sponsors pay them to go and do whatever they are getting paid to do.

there isn’t any authenticity in any of the videos they upload. It is all acting and playing to some lame script they planned and wrote for the video.

Last edited:
Is this the Australian duo travel people? I thought they are in a Will and Grace type relationship before I found out they were actually married. I thought they were a gay guy and his sister or ex-gf.

Another boring and lukewarm couple on YouTube who do mostly product advertisements posing as travel experience.

Are there any genuine people on YouTube that do travel videos without selling crap or a giant advertisement for some hotel or schemes?

Most of them put me to sleep with their tourist trap videos and those women faking smiles and acting for a script.

kara and Nate videos are just acting for their sponsors. There is no genuine experience in watching their videos and they will go wherever their sponsors pay them to go and do whatever they are getting paid to do.

there isn’t any authenticity in any of the videos they upload. It is all acting and playing to some lame script they planned and wrote for the video.
I watch a travel couple who just started out a few months ago so don’t have many followers so no sponsors ‘lost knox’

I really like Kinging-It, although they do advertise in their videos. I just find them fun to watch! They’re about to do a challenge of travelling Vietnam on motorbikes which should be an interesting watch. They’ve done fun challenges in the past too.

I really like Kinging-It, although they do advertise in their videos. I just find them fun to watch! They’re about to do a challenge of travelling Vietnam on motorbikes which should be an interesting watch. They’ve done fun challenges in the past too.
Is that the Welsh couple in a van? I find them highly annoying. They look like the dentist left the laughing gas on for way too long and not natural at all. Anyone who is not over-acting on the camera or doing annoying antics?

I watch a travel couple who just started out a few months ago so don’t have many followers so no sponsors ‘lost knox’
Problem is, all these people are doing this to eventually become the QVC channel and that is their goalpost.

Reactions: 1
The Travel Beans are a bit more chilled if that’s your preference. we’ve also started watching Jits into the Sunset who don’t post as frequently but they’re quite a relaxed viewing too

Out of all the travel vloggers, Kinging it are doing the most interesting travels and were actually living in their bus and not just parking it outside 5 star accommodations like Flying the nest or Kara and Nate but I find Aimee too much to watch at times since she's overwhelmed with everything in life and having a meltdown almost every video while Craig awkwardly assures her how brave she is.

As for flying the nest, I really enjoyed their first 3 or 4 weeks of van life in Australia as they actually committed to it and it lead to great content at absolutely stunning places but then they went full luxury again, jetting off on private planes every week to remote islands and luxury stays and I Iost all interest because that's all they've done for the past year now - a 20 minute weekly commercial for a hotel or resort that costs thousands a night. Not the kind of travel I would ever be interested in.

Out of all the travel vloggers, Kinging it are doing the most interesting travels and were actually living in their bus and not just parking it outside 5 star accommodations like Flying the nest or Kara and Nate but I find Aimee too much to watch at times since she's overwhelmed with everything in life and having a meltdown almost every video while Craig awkwardly assures her how brave she is.

As for flying the nest, I really enjoyed their first 3 or 4 weeks of van life in Australia as they actually committed to it and it lead to great content at absolutely stunning places but then they went full luxury again, jetting off on private planes every week to remote islands and luxury stays and I Iost all interest because that's all they've done for the past year now - a 20 minute weekly commercial for a hotel or resort that costs thousands a night. Not the kind of travel I would ever be interested in.
I like Aimee, I get what you mean about them showing her anxiety but I guess it’s better than them pretending their all happy and perfect 24/7 like other travel YouTubers. Looking forward to their upcoming motorbike in Vietnam series and how they manage to suss travelling in a wheelie bin around Wales for charity. I do like that they come up with some interesting video ideas 😊

Same , they now seem to be trying too hard to please their gorgeous Hunter ..sooo she will be amenable to change and travel ..that said , the way it seems on screen is that they will be producing a future narcissistic adult !

Same , they now seem to be trying too hard to please their gorgeous Hunter ..sooo she will be amenable to change and travel ..that said , the way it seems on screen is that they will be producing a future narcissistic adult !

Now they are in Europe...

Do they delete any negative comments because I never see ANY?