Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

BallsOfWool

I run in some crafty circles, and alarm bells ring for me on the following... I think these are perfectly reasonable questions that any honest crafter would have no issue with answering

1. How do you deal with different tension. I am an experienced crocheter, yet I can make a square blanket of 100 rounds, and if my friend (equally experienced) made the same blanket I could guarantee there would be a difference in size and stitch shape/definition. Those 10 blankets you just posted a picture of are identical - also there's no way 4 people could make 10 blankets in a day, no matter how basic they are.

2. Who is the pattern designer of the cardigans you sell? I have scoured Ravelry, Etsy, and Google and can't find trace of a written pattern, but I can find many many other sites selling that exact same cardigan.

3. Why do you never show any progress photos? People who buy handmade blankets love to see pictures of the making process, its part of the appeal of paying extra for something handmade over going to mamas and papas to buy a blanket.

4. How on earth do you make a profit? One of those basic granny blankets is at least 5 hours work even for the speediest crocheter. You must be paying your freelancers pennies and buying some pretty cheap acrylic yarn to get away with shifting them for between 20 & 30 quid.

Ladies - there are lots of truly lovely people out there that make some pretty stunning blankets (FYI they'll all be posting loads of progress photos, its how they build their business), Florafairweather is one of very very few I've ever seen outsourcing "handmade" blankets - it totally defeats the object of buying something from an small seller on instagram.

• Heart
Reactions: 18

BallsOfWool

Has it ever occurred to any of you that maybe when her shop started out way back in 2014 she did make everything herself! Her shop has grown, just like any small business hopes to do. There comes a point where there is one of you and too many orders/enquires for orders! Therefore you get help! She has explained she pays someone to help her make the blankets, this doesnā€™t mean the blankets arenā€™t handmade, sheā€™s simply getting some help otherwise sheā€™d have like one blanket for sale and youā€™d all be moaning her shop is always sold out. If you donā€™t like the price...donā€™t buy it or donā€™t follow. Simple!
I think if she was clearer about it and added a strapline like ā€œhandmade by the florafairweather teamā€ then people wouldnā€™t be quite so up in arms about it - she could have even turned it to her advantage and showcased the ladies that make things for her. I had a scroll through her profile and website and it doesnā€™t make it clear that her products are made for her by freelance crafters.

And as for growing to the point of not coping, lots of handmade businesses have grown to the point that they have to close their order books for a period of time, and sell custom slots on a website. I only know of Frank&Olive who also got people to crochet for her.

The whole point of buying stuff off insta crocheters is that youā€™re buying direct from the maker. Thatā€™s why people are often prepared to pay a premium.

As for the price, she sells them ridiculously cheap & donā€™t even get me started on the price people sell things for on eBay, it totally undervalues the work that goes into a handmade item.

• Heart
Reactions: 10

NotSherlockHuns

Yeah she doesn't make them. There's a seller she buys them from on eBay called togaman313 for about Ā£6 each. The seller is always sold out and there is always the same person in the feedback section. The cardigans are from Ali express but she claims they are handknit and has a team helping her.

Katescosyknits was selling the same cardigans and got abuse for it even though she was honest and said they were wholesale, people were saying she was ripping hollie off. She then posted links to where she had found the items hollie was selling, even the daisy blankets are available on Ali express. She's deleted the info now due to abuse but sure if you wanted to see the links you could DM her and she would show you she's a lovely lady I've spoken to her before.

It explains why she spends her whole days outside yet has all this time to 'make blankets'. The only thing she makes are the pom poms and the chunky blankets. I think her mum maybe makes the slippers. It's wrong when there are many people who have small handmade businesses who can barely sell and she's flogging 5 blankets a week at Ā£30 a pop!

She's a complete fraud, I was really shocked when I found out. Although I did question how she managed to produce all those items when all she does is play outside and read!

Here's the proof, they are definitely her blankets as even the borders are always different colours and she always has different tones available. You can also tell her own blankets as they are usually a poor standard or knit. I'd be surprised if she can even crochet. These will probably be sold out later, unless she hasn't sold the last lot she bought.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 8

Missblue

Exactly this! I am a small crochet business and I make blankets and other crochet goods. I had been following Flora for a couple of years and always thought her account is so lovely and her colours etc. But did always wonder how she made them so quickly! It takes me a good few evenings to make a baby size blanket.

I am so disappointed to find out that the blankets she's selling aren't made by herself yet she has such a huge following including some massive names in the crochet world. I've unfollowed her now.
When you see your own items YOUVE made your self , reposted on social media with no credit to the maker and sold on is awful , why didnā€™t I say anything? Because said person has a big following, and would it have done more damage to me or them , itā€™s hard to know,
But itā€™s been going on over a year now šŸ˜” buying and reselling
When you see your own items YOUVE made your self , reposted on social media with no credit to the maker and sold on is awful , why didnā€™t I say anything? Because said person has a big following, and would it have done more damage to me or them , itā€™s hard to know,

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 6

Rxqueen85

Has it ever occurred to any of you that maybe when her shop started out way back in 2014 she did make everything herself! Her shop has grown, just like any small business hopes to do. There comes a point where there is one of you and too many orders/enquires for orders! Therefore you get help! She has explained she pays someone to help her make the blankets, this doesnā€™t mean the blankets arenā€™t handmade, sheā€™s simply getting some help otherwise sheā€™d have like one blanket for sale and youā€™d all be moaning her shop is always sold out. If you donā€™t like the price...donā€™t buy it or donā€™t follow. Simple!
I make all of my goods by myself and I make them to order, people are happy with that and happy to know that I have handmade the item myself. If you get so 'big' that you can't keep up with orders then you have to change your business model. If you are going to source your blankets from elsewhere then just state that and then there wouldn't be an issue. Her page is very misleading.

BallsOfWool

You can't machine crochet, any crochet you ever see will be handmade - even stuff on the high street. It just might be handmade by some poor soul on the other side of the world being paid pennies.

I once made a blanket a bit like a daisy blanket (different pattern same construction techniques) and it took me 4 days of sitting 12 hours a day crocheting (I was on a deadline for a babygift) - My wrists and brain wanted to die after I finished. I've been crocheting over 20 years so I consider myself pretty experienced.

sunseaandyarn

It's just such a shame that there are people out there that are sucked in by these accounts and think they are genuine, most other Instagram crafters are aware these accounts are a bit iffy. There are so many very talented and genuine small businesses out there handmaking beautiful items, declaring their earnings, paying their taxes, abiding by the relevant laws while these two tell so many lies they must get confused over what's truth and what isn't. Is a knitted cardy? is it crocheted? one minute they're being bought in from China, next minute they're being knitted by freelancers...ā€¦.no, now they're being crocheted by hand by themselves. Make your mind up, if you're gonna make up a story at least stick to it! The amount of backtracking and story changing going on regarding these cardigans just adds fuel to the fire, it would be funny if it wasn't so wrong.
If you wanna buy a unique handmade item my advice is find one of the many reputable small businesses that are transparent, show you progress pictures, show you detailed pictures at point of sale and give you all the required information at point of sale such as fibre composition, washing instructions, measurements etc.

Rxqueen85

I run in some crafty circles, and alarm bells ring for me on the following... I think these are perfectly reasonable questions that any honest crafter would have no issue with answering

1. How do you deal with different tension. I am an experienced crocheter, yet I can make a square blanket of 100 rounds, and if my friend (equally experienced) made the same blanket I could guarantee there would be a difference in size and stitch shape/definition. Those 10 blankets you just posted a picture of are identical - also there's no way 4 people could make 10 blankets in a day, no matter how basic they are.

2. Who is the pattern designer of the cardigans you sell? I have scoured Ravelry, Etsy, and Google and can't find trace of a written pattern, but I can find many many other sites selling that exact same cardigan.

3. Why do you never show any progress photos? People who buy handmade blankets love to see pictures of the making process, its part of the appeal of paying extra for something handmade over going to mamas and papas to buy a blanket.

4. How on earth do you make a profit? One of those basic granny blankets is at least 5 hours work even for the speediest crocheter. You must be paying your freelancers pennies and buying some pretty cheap acrylic yarn to get away with shifting them for between 20 & 30 quid.

Ladies - there are lots of truly lovely people out there that make some pretty stunning blankets (FYI they'll all be posting loads of progress photos, its how they build their business), Florafairweather is one of very very few I've ever seen outsourcing "handmade" blankets - it totally defeats the object of buying something from an small seller on instagram.
Exactly this! I am a small crochet business and I make blankets and other crochet goods. I had been following Flora for a couple of years and always thought her account is so lovely and her colours etc. But did always wonder how she made them so quickly! It takes me a good few evenings to make a baby size blanket.

I am so disappointed to find out that the blankets she's selling aren't made by herself yet she has such a huge following including some massive names in the crochet world. I've unfollowed her now.

frustrated

This is my first ever post here and I write it out of disappointment. As someone who loved to crochet I followed FloraFairweather as her bright sunny pictures and colourful blankets were really aspirational. But as someone who also made some blankets to sell I have to admit I found the speed in which see seemed to be able to make the blankets (and the price she charged for the amount of work that would have to go into making a blanket the size of her 'unicorn' ones, pretty huge for Ā£30) really disheartening. There was no way I could compete on price for the time and materials it would take to make one of a similar size and eventually I stopped making them. I know I was a small crafter and not a 'business' like her but to find out she doesn't make them and she seems to be selling blankets along with a lie of who made them now really stings.

Reactions: 5

Cubalibra

Chatty Member
She is fake. Followers all bought, just a rich white female. Her blankets are just ridiculously expensive

sunseaandyarn

I've been watching this thread with interest the last couple of weeks and it really beggars belief the lengths and lies people will go to to grow their social media following/business. I'm not surprised about Flora not making those blankets, it isn't physically possible to do that many in that short space of time, I am surprised how she's handled it though, I thought she might be honest to her followers as soon as it became apparent. Seeing a different side to things now and wondering what else about her is a lie. I'm not surprised spit spot has been mentioned, she's well known to be a liar, thief and scammer in the craft community, no idea how she's still getting away with it!
Ultimately though it's an insult to good honest hand crafters who do make their items themselves often not receiving the price to reflect the work involved and it's an insult to the poor people overseas who are whipping up those awful cardigans in probably rubbish conditions for peanuts.
I honestly don't know how these two women sleep at night.

• Heart

Cubalibra

Chatty Member
Don't even get my started on spitspotcrochet! Didn't she used to be spitspitloves? I ordered an item off her once & I never received it. She was so difficult to contact, didn't reply to messages (or comments on her page!) then took ages to refund me. Other people said the same too. Never used her again
Have you even read my reply???!!! We are talking about the rainbow blankets. I make all the daisy blankets still.

Ah yes because Laura Ashley, cath Kidston & every other Shop in the world is sat at home alone making there stuff by themselves!!!!! I hope people soon realise what theyā€™re doing! šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

They have factories! Everyone knows laura Ashley and cath kidston doesnā€™t hand make their own clothing. Donā€™t belittle the situation.
You donā€™t see laura Ashley saying ā€˜jeez guys, Iā€™ve been busy making blankets today. Canā€™t be bothered to put them in my shop. Just message me yeah?ā€™ No where on your Instagram does it state that you have free lance knitters making it all for you. People commented on ā€˜how clever you areā€™ as they actually thought you sat there knitting these cardigans. You donā€™t bother to correct them and itā€™s like you are inundated with comments. There is nothing wrong with buying from
Wholesellers but it is wrong when you pretend you have made it yourself. That is the issue, Hollie.

Cubalibra

Chatty Member
Omg! I bought one of her blankets years ago! That cheeky bitch charges postage as well! Canā€™t believe it.

• Sad
Reactions: 4

Ludo

I donā€™t usually comment as I think these threads can be a bit mean.... however, she posted a photograph of the baby blanket on July 21st. The caption says something along the lines of ā€œ2 baby blankets before I nod offā€ which does totally imply sheā€™s sat and made them. This isnā€™t right... is it even legal? I feel like we should do something.

Cubalibra

Chatty Member

Help? As in a wholesaler then messaging customers pretending to be hand making them? I have photos of labels being left in her cardigans! If you google the name on the label it directs you to aliexpress!!! Thatā€™s not honest. Iā€™m sure she states in her stories, which gets deleted after 24 hrs that she has had help. But if you are just someone who stumbled upon her page, you would think she has hand knitted all her blankets and items!

Rxqueen85

I don't think enough noise is being made about this outside of this platform. I don't think many of Flora's followers on insta know she's a fraud. I've been tempted many a time to share it on my business page stories but am too scared of the backlash id receive. Its a really shit feeling to be worried about a backlash from a fraud's followers though! I think it could affect my page negatively so just have to keep quiet and carry on šŸ˜­

• Heart

Jinger

FFS I brought one of those rainbow blankets a few months ago. I've followed her for a while and had wondered how she managed to churn out so many. Feel completely duped now!

• Sad

Melodyinpink

šŸ‘ I'm very interested to read the response to this...

JessicaFletcher

Chatty Member
Spitspotcrochet is also selling those cardigans as 'handknit by our lovelies' nowšŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļøin all colours and sizes.

I don't actually have an issue with people selling wholesale knits as long as they aren't misleading or dishonest. They're obviously the same cardigans though. There's also people that spend hours making their own items and stuff like this completely ruins it for everyone else. She's also selling the exact same slipper so assuming they aren't handmade by either flora or spitspot either

As for flora fairweather, it really is a revelation that her blankets aren't made by her, as someone said her language always implies they are made by her. I was totally fooled. She has said before things like 'I've been super busy so only 4 blankets this week' or 'I've had a lot of grass to cut'. If she was more clear again most people wouldn't have a issue. It is also wrong for her to be selling someone else's craft at such a mark up. Yes business is business but at Ā£6 each that poor lady is just making her money back on yarn!

shopgirlmama

OMG guys I feel totally cat fished!!! I was going to save up and buy one of those chunky ones for my soon to be new born!

šŸ˜«šŸ˜«šŸ˜«šŸ˜«šŸ˜«šŸ˜«

• Sad