Feeling guilty for spending money on Christmas presents

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've had to buy Christmas presents for my mum, dad, brother, boyfriend, and both of my Grandads this year. As much as I love giving gifts and treating them, I feel so guilty that my bank balance is now so low as a result. I've been trying to save money recently and Christmas has just seem to have thrown that out the window.
Does anyone else feel like this?

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Yeah absolutely. I’m slightly behind you though, I have no money this month (just moved jobs so I have had to go unpaid for a bit). Every year I buy everyone expensive things as I love to give gifts, now I feel like everyone is expecting nice presents when I really don’t have the money 😫 I feel so guilty but I’m literally going to have to go into my overdraft to please everyone. It’s awful.

I have no kids etc I couldn’t imagine feeling this as a parent unable to get your kids what they want

Reactions: 1
Yes definitely my hubby started a new job so won't get a proper month's wage until after Christmas and my new manger messed up my hours which has left me short too haven't bought a single present yet 😐

• Sad
Reactions: 2
Yeah absolutely. I’m slightly behind you though, I have no money this month (just moved jobs so I have had to go unpaid for a bit). Every year I buy everyone expensive things as I love to give gifts, now I feel like everyone is expecting nice presents when I really don’t have the money 😫 I feel so guilty but I’m literally going to have to go into my overdraft to please everyone. It’s awful.

I have no kids etc I couldn’t imagine feeling this as a parent unable to get your kids what they want
Can you give them homemade vouchers for a meal out or something similar to delay the outgoings?

Everyone is feeling the pinch this year, so I'm sure if you explained why you needed to cut back your nearest and dearest would understand.

You should never ever ever feel this way 💗

Everyone knows that we are all facing financial stress and pressures right now. I am sure your friends and family are going through it too. Nobody should expect anything at Christmas time, imo, especially this year. As previously suggested, I would make mention of it. You shouldn't feel bad about being assertive about your own financial situation.

I bet others will be glad that you raise it, to be honest. Just say something like "We are all going through financial challenges this year so we should all cut back on gifts. I know I have had to but it doesn't mean I love you all any less!"

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Your family will not want you to go overdrawn or in any debt for their gifts. Please don't as it is not worth it. This is a great video and I think of it every year.

I know this is no help now, but I have a separate Christmas account which I put money in each month, so come Christmas I have a pot to use. Even if it was £5/£10 this would give you something come December.

Be honest with your family, perhaps you could give them your time or home made vouchers for a days gardening with one of your grandads. A walk to his favorite park. Perhaps offer to babysit, cook them a meal. Gifts are about thought not money and some of the best gifts can cost nothing.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Yep. My savings have taken a massive hit but I want my family to have nice things so I’m trying not to think about it and planning to save it back in January by having a quiet spending month.

Yeah I can really relate to this! I hate the thought of not being able to give people as much as I normally would, but funds really just aren't stretching that far for me this year. I have such a horrible feeling of guilt about it all. It's really stressful. I also feel somewhat embarrassed saying to people that I'll only be doing small gifts this year, I know I shouldn't be embarrassed because everyone is feeling the squeeze but I do.

Next year I'm going to really make an effort to set aside money for Christmas to try and avoid the stress I've felt this year, even if it's only a small amount each week/month. I did do that this year but then ended up dipping into that money as we renovated our house or things just came up and I ended up spending it so next year I'm going to make a big effort not to touch it.

I know it won’t help this year but moving forward, you could maybe speak to your family about doing a secret Santa, so you only have to buy for one person?

I know how you feel. I always like to have a bit of money (not even an huge amount) and I get a niggling/annoyed feeling if I have to spend it - I think it comes from not having much growing up. Most people will face some tricky times ahead but it will get better eventually. Maybe we have to say that in the short term things aren’t going to be as secure as we’d like, but spending money on those we love is definitely better than lining the pockets of energy bosses.

Could you do something like bake cookies or a cake as a present? Fairly affordable and super sweet/thoughtful gift. Would def be appreciated cos of time & effort put into it.

Another gift idea I like is if you get a usb key (can get them super cheap on amazon) and put movies on it. Get a gift bag and fill with pond shop goodies (microwave popcorn and other sweets..etc). It will be a homemade movie night. Again not super expensive and you can customise the movies to their taste.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
My sister always buys ridiculously expensive things for me with no thought, like £80 gift sets with moisturiser that doesn’t suit my skin type as it’s the first thing she saw on the shelf in Selfridges :) I’d so rather like a packet of my favourite tea or something!