Failing University

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Bless you I didn’t want to read and run because I too went through this! I came out with a 2:2 and less than a year later I got accepted onto my masters degree and I am now a college lecturer in a subject I love! The grade doesn’t define you, honestly. But use the support on offer to you, after all you’re paying for it 🤷‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Thank you for giving me hope! If you have any resources on how to write a good case note that would be helpful? If not, thank you for giving me a a push.
Once I get my children to bed tonight I’ll see what I have. If not, I’ll see if my assistant can dig out anything from the office.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
In terms of yr 2/yr 3 marks and how they count towards your final classification, it’s worth looking into if your uni has brought in any changes due to the pandemic. The uni I work at has changed how classification are worked out so they will calculate 2nd and 3rd yr with equal weighting, double weight 3rd year and just use your 3rd yr marks. The student gets the best result and that is used to classify them. Fingers crossed your uni does something similar.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Bless you I didn’t want to read and run because I too went through this! I came out with a 2:2 and less than a year later I got accepted onto my masters degree and I am now a college lecturer in a subject I love! The grade doesn’t define you, honestly. But use the support on offer to you, after all you’re paying for it 🤷‍♀️
Wow that is amazing to hear!
Once I get my children to bed tonight I’ll see what I have. If not, I’ll see if my assistant can dig out anything from the office.
Thank you for looking, that is so kind!
In terms of yr 2/yr 3 marks and how they count towards your final classification, it’s worth looking into if your uni has brought in any changes due to the pandemic. The uni I work at has changed how classification are worked out so they will calculate 2nd and 3rd yr with equal weighting, double weight 3rd year and just use your 3rd yr marks. The student gets the best result and that is used to classify them. Fingers crossed your uni does something similar.
That's really interesting, I'll try and find out if they are doing anything similar!

I’m a solicitor and I feel as though there’s so much pressure to achieve a 2:1 or above in Law or you feel as though you’re not going to progress.

Some of the trainees I’ve dealt with have come through with firsts and I haven’t even dared trust them with my admin. Being a solicitor is so much more than being academic.

If you’re concerned about not getting the grades I would write to local firms (post pandemic) and ask for work experience. Experience will take you further than the law degree, most of it is so irrelevant to practice - jurisprudence?! It only becomes relevant on the LPC.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I didn’t like uni or my course. Graduated with a 2:2 which has turned out totally fine and I have a great job I love so didn’t need to worry. But looking back I wish I’d spoken to my tutors about it. I was too scared/buried my head in the sand, when actually if I’d got support earlier I could have done slightly better or even changed course/done a year out or something. Everyone will want to help :)

• Heart
Reactions: 4
This is definitely true about my research skills being stretched! Something I would like to ask (if you don't mind!) is if you know how to write a case note or have seen any helpful resources on how to write a case note. Thank you xx
Hiya, Case notes are just summaries. I always started with very very basic bullet points, like atime line of the case and fill it in. for instance:
Mrs Donoghue drank a ginger beer that had a snail in it and became ill
The cafe owner did not know the snail was in the bottle.
and so on. Like rip the judgment up into very small facts. you can finesse it then, out more meat on the bones as such.
Not sure if you will be able to follow this link, but this is from the OU law faculty. http://law-school.open.ac.uk/sites/.../files/files/PILARS-Writing-case-comments.pdf

I’m a solicitor and I feel as though there’s so much pressure to achieve a 2:1 or above in Law or you feel as though you’re not going to progress.

Some of the trainees I’ve dealt with have come through with firsts and I haven’t even dared trust them with my admin. Being a solicitor is so much more than being academic.

If you’re concerned about not getting the grades I would write to local firms (post pandemic) and ask for work experience. Experience will take you further than the law degree, most of it is so irrelevant to practice - jurisprudence?! It only becomes relevant on the LPC.
This is very true. I'm currently advising in a law clinic, and the difference to reading law etc, but dealing with real problems is night and day. Still need to know how to play the game etc though, and get the degree in the first place!

• Heart
Hiya, Case notes are just summaries. I always started with very very basic bullet points, like atime line of the case and fill it in. for instance:
and so on. Like rip the judgment up into very small facts. you can finesse it then, out more meat on the bones as such.
Not sure if you will be able to follow this link, but this is from the OU law faculty. http://law-school.open.ac.uk/sites/.../files/files/PILARS-Writing-case-comments.pdf

This is very true. I'm currently advising in a law clinic, and the difference to reading law etc, but dealing with real problems is night and day. Still need to know how to play the game etc though, and get the degree in the first place!
Omg I remember that case from doing one module on law from my masters in rural estate management 🤣🤣

• Haha
The open university link shared above is actually the one I was guided to when asked my assistant to look (mine are all out dated) and as said, don’t stress about writing case notes. It is something they will become second nature, and every office has their own niche way of doing it.

Out of interest, have you decided where you want to go in law?

• Heart

That's so true about needing to be more than academic for being a solicitor! I really would like to apply to local firms so I can get some experience but it is difficult due to Covid right now so I'm hoping things start to clear up and I'll be able to get some experience. And yes to Jurisprudence (it's one of the ones I'm hating) what is the need?!
I didn’t like uni or my course. Graduated with a 2:2 which has turned out totally fine and I have a great job I love so didn’t need to worry. But looking back I wish I’d spoken to my tutors about it. I was too scared/buried my head in the sand, when actually if I’d got support earlier I could have done slightly better or even changed course/done a year out or something. Everyone will want to help :)
I'm hopefully speaking to my tutor today! Quite nervous about it but I have to try at least.

Ooh, I can access that link! Thank you for that, that's so helpful xx
The open university link shared above is actually the one I was guided to when asked my assistant to look (mine are all out dated) and as said, don’t stress about writing case notes. It is something they will become second nature, and every office has their own niche way of doing it.

Out of interest, have you decided where you want to go in law?
Thank you for looking! At the minute I'm not completely sure where I want to go in law (I feel like that's really bad but I'm just not sure!). I've been looking at Family Law and Commercial Law but I don't think Commercial Law is where I want to go. Somebody earlier mentioned the CPS and the Government Legal Department and I've been looking at those areas too and they seem really interesting so I think I'd like to explore those areas a little more.

Thank you for looking! At the minute I'm not completely sure where I want to go in law (I feel like that's really bad but I'm just not sure!). I've been looking at Family Law and Commercial Law but I don't think Commercial Law is where I want to go. Somebody earlier mentioned the CPS and the Government Legal Department and I've been looking at those areas too and they seem really interesting so I think I'd like to explore those areas a little more.
I’m with CPS and I love it. I had my heart set on it from a very young age but it’s not bad not to know for certain. I had tunnel vision whereas yours may be more organic.

• Heart
I’m with CPS and I love it. I had my heart set on it from a very young age but it’s not bad not to know for certain. I had tunnel vision whereas yours may be more organic.
oh wow it's nice to hear that you enjoy it! i've been thinking about it a lot more recently. can i ask what sort of work experience you did before you got your job?

Reactions: 1
My piece of advice is to keep an open mind regarding what area of law you want to end up in. For example, I hated land law but ended up doing property disputes. Law in practice is completely different to your law degree. The LPC is more accurate as it focuses on the practical side of things, which is more realistic.

I would suggest getting as much experience in different types of firms as possible.

Also, the same goes for a training contract. Obviously if you have your heart set on criminal law, then apply for firms with that department. However, don't worry about getting a training contract at a big city firm. I trained in a small high street firm and worked my way up to a more established firm. I have friends who trained in high street firms who are now in big city firms. I worked with someone in a small firm who ended up in the Government Legal Department after her training contract.

The moral of my long winded message is that you should definitely keep an open mind, as you will get to where you want to get/are meant to get eventually.

My piece of advice is to keep an open mind regarding what area of law you want to end up in. For example, I hated land law but ended up doing property disputes. Law in practice is completely different to your law degree. The LPC is more accurate as it focuses on the practical side of things, which is more realistic.

I would suggest getting as much experience in different types of firms as possible.

Also, the same goes for a training contract. Obviously if you have your heart set on criminal law, then apply for firms with that department. However, don't worry about getting a training contract at a big city firm. I trained in a small high street firm and worked my way up to a more established firm. I have friends who trained in high street firms who are now in big city firms. I worked with someone in a small firm who ended up in the Government Legal Department after her training contract.

The moral of my long winded message is that you should definitely keep an open mind, as you will get to where you want to get/are meant to get eventually.
I definitely will be going in with an open mind. I don't really have a choice at the minute I think because I am so unsure about what I want to do. Great advice about the training contract and I will keep that in mind.

oh wow it's nice to hear that you enjoy it! i've been thinking about it a lot more recently. can i ask what sort of work experience you did before you got your job?
I did a number of mini Pupilages whilst I was still studying, then after my BPTC I did a 12 month Pupillage with CPS. From there I just applied for the position and have worked my way up since then. They’ve recently put some really good videos out, Here

• Heart
I did a number of mini Pupilages whilst I was still studying, then after my BPTC I did a 12 month Pupillage with CPS. From there I just applied for the position and have worked my way up since then. They’ve recently put some really good videos out, Here
The videos were so informative, thank you!

i very strongly doubt anybody is reading this but if you are i passed my exams and finished the year with the 2:2 mentioned above, 2 2:1's and 2 1sts! Thanks for all the advice, I honestly got a little bit worse mentally after I got Covid and tried to reach out to the uni about it and received no response but your support was really helpful and did give me a massive push!

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Congratulations! You have done brilliantly even though you have had a tough time.
I really struggled in 2nd year but loved third year strangely! Have a good summer, you deserve it!

• Heart
I havent read all the other comments yet so im very sorry if some of the things i say will be repeats of what other people have said.

Firstly, your mental health and wellbeing is so much more important than any grades!! if you are struggling with your mental health then please please please reach out to student support or your gp. Also, although you feel like the only person who is struggling, i would bet my mortgage on there are loads of other students struggling. But quite often people keep quiet about it until someone says it, and the its like the floodgates have opened!

Please dont ever feel like a failure!! 2:2 and a 3rd are not fails! They are still good grades, and i feel like as long as you feel you have done your very best then that is what is important. I found so much emphasis is put on getting a 2:1 or higher, yet i know loads of people who got 2:2's and it didnt have a negative impact on their future at all.

It has been a while since i did my BA, and i didnt do law so i cant offer any guidance in that respect. However, i found that knowing the course content is all well and good but its equally as important to know and understand how to write a good essay, and how to structure essays etc. My uni offered a extra curricular course/events geared towards essay writing skills. And it really helped me, especially going from the 1st year into the 2nd year- which i found much more challenging than the 3rd year!

Finally, i feel for you and all the other students who have been students during the past year with covid. I cant even begin to imagine how difficult it has been for you all. Uni is so challenging at the best of times, and to have covid on top of that must be awful. So the fact you have carried on, submitted work shows your resilience and you should be so proud of yourself.