Failing University

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm in my second year and I've received 2 2:2's and a third. I feel like I'm horrendously failing in comparison to everyone else and I don't know what I can do to help me not fail. I'm so depressed by it. I did really well in my first year but I have struggled with getting to grips with the content in second year and I haven't been on campus once. Does anybody have any advice as to how I can change this around? I feel sick to my stomach constantly and whenever I get a result back I feel like I'm having a heart attack.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
What course are you doing? Have you tried reaching out to your student support or academic support? They can often help you and see where you’re going wrong. Also, it wouldn’t hurt to talk to your tutor about this or maybe setting up some personal tutoring. Don’t give up, I know it’s difficult but you’ve come so far!
If you still feel like you can’t do this, it’s never too late to switch degrees. Good luck 💗

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I'm in my second year and I've received 2 2:2's and a third. I feel like I'm horrendously failing in comparison to everyone else and I don't know what I can do to help me not fail. I'm so depressed by it. I did really well in my first year but I have struggled with getting to grips with the content in second year and I haven't been on campus once. Does anybody have any advice as to how I can change this around? I feel sick to my stomach constantly and whenever I get a result back I feel like I'm having a heart attack.
Speak to your lecturers and ask for feedback and areas to work on. Do you feel like your just not connecting with/understanding the coursework? What’s your study life like? Do you dedicate time to sit and study/work through things you don’t quite grasp to begin with etc?

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Just to put it out there a 2:2 and even a 3rd is not failing. I left university with a 2:2, I now have a masters and then carried on to become a chartered surveyor and in process of adding further qualifications. So please do not put yourself completely down. You are only part way through your 2nd year you can still work hard and pull your grades up. I would speak to your tutors to find out where you are going wrong on your assessments etc.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
As the poster above said, a 2:2 isn't a fail! People always obsess about getting a 2:1 or first, but other than your first graduate job, future employers are unlikely to care what degree certification you got.

The 2nd year was the toughest year at uni for me, and I know a lot of people say the same. COVID can't have helped at all either. I would look at your lower grades and see the kind of feedback you got. Are there certain areas where you could use extra support? I used to be great at the practical stuff and presentations, but tit at essays, so I read a really, really boring book about essay writing and it did actually help me approach them differently. Don't be afraid to approach your tutors. They'll probably be thrilled that you care about your grades!

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Thank you all for your support xx
What course are you doing? Have you tried reaching out to your student support or academic support? They can often help you and see where you’re going wrong. Also, it wouldn’t hurt to talk to your tutor about this or maybe setting up some personal tutoring. Don’t give up, I know it’s difficult but you’ve come so far!
If you still feel like you can’t do this, it’s never too late to switch degrees. Good luck 💗
I'm doing Law and no I haven't reached out yet. I'm planning on a Zoom meeting tomorrow where I can hopefully discuss results. I've just sent an email to my tutor about whether I could have any support.
Speak to your lecturers and ask for feedback and areas to work on. Do you feel like your just not connecting with/understanding the coursework? What’s your study life like? Do you dedicate time to sit and study/work through things you don’t quite grasp to begin with etc?
I feel like I understand the coursework and then when I get my results back it seems as if I haven't understood it enough for them. The impression I'm getting is that I'm not thinking deep enough. My study life is hectic. I struggle to engage with online learning the way I engage with in person learning. I do spend extra time on things I don't understand and try to get an understanding.
Just to put it out there a 2:2 and even a 3rd is not failing. I left university with a 2:2, I now have a masters and then carried on to become a chartered surveyor and in process of adding further qualifications. So please do not put yourself completely down. You are only part way through your 2nd year you can still work hard and pull your grades up. I would speak to your tutors to find out where you are going wrong on your assessments etc.
Thank you. You are right, they aren't a fail and I need to work really hard to pull my grades up. I think my issue is that I did so well last year that I'm struggling to cope with the constant rejection.
As the poster above said, a 2:2 isn't a fail! People always obsess about getting a 2:1 or first, but other than your first graduate job, future employers are unlikely to care what degree certification you got.

The 2nd year was the toughest year at uni for me, and I know a lot of people say the same. COVID can't have helped at all either. I would look at your lower grades and see the kind of feedback you got. Are there certain areas where you could use extra support? I used to be great at the practical stuff and presentations, but tit at essays, so I read a really, really boring book about essay writing and it did actually help me approach them differently. Don't be afraid to approach your tutors. They'll probably be thrilled that you care about your grades!
I feel like I need support in everything at the minute! I am scared to approach my tutors which is why it has taken me so long to try and reach out because I haven't been able to get to know them and the one I have gotten to know is terrifying but I know I need to get over that fear. COVID definitely hasn't helped me and has made me more anxious then I ever have been before.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Thank you all for your support xx

I'm doing Law and no I haven't reached out yet. I'm planning on a Zoom meeting tomorrow where I can hopefully discuss results. I've just sent an email to my tutor about whether I could have any support.

I feel like I understand the coursework and then when I get my results back it seems as if I haven't understood it enough for them. The impression I'm getting is that I'm not thinking deep enough. My study life is hectic. I struggle to engage with online learning the way I engage with in person learning. I do spend extra time on things I don't understand and try to get an understanding.

Thank you. You are right, they aren't a fail and I need to work really hard to pull my grades up. I think my issue is that I did so well last year that I'm struggling to cope with the constant rejection.

I feel like I need support in everything at the minute! I am scared to approach my tutors which is why it has taken me so long to try and reach out because I haven't been able to get to know them and the one I have gotten to know is terrifying but I know I need to get over that fear. COVID definitely hasn't helped me and has made me more anxious then I ever have been before.
Firstly, I’d calculate exactly what you need to get a 2:1 if that’s your aim. So if you need 80% in your remaining modules then you can aim for a really high mark in your best module. If that makes sense? Generally you drop a module as well so don’t forget about that. It makes a massive difference for most people. (My friend was on a 2:2 in year 2 and he pulled it back to a first in his final year).

In regards to not understanding the coursework, do you have friends on the course? I always discussed everything before I even started work as everyone reads it differently. Then I’d do all my research and speak to the professor to see if I was on the right lines. I found most will help you if you show an interest however, it’ll be harder for you as they are shocking at emails. They want you to engage and if you go with a plan then they will be more than happy to help. I’ve always hated asking for help and preferred to figure everything out on my own. You can’t have this approach at uni as it’s so specific. It doesn’t matter if you are great at writing, if you don’t meet the brief then you’ll get a low grade. Therefore, always ask for help!! It’s easier said than done though.

I studied Quantity Surveying and we had a couple of law modules. I found in them, you gained so many marks for just using the relevant cases and applying it to your essay.

Year 3 is usually easier. I got my best results in my final 3 modules but, I did really try as I lost focus in the first half of the year and was too busy focusing on my personal life. For exams I used to make up songs and record myself to the backing track. I used cheesy songs like Physical - Olivia Newton and I remembered everything in the exam. It’s cheesy but, it’s always worked for me. Also, find out how many sources your professor wants you to use, some want 15 others 25. Write it to your specific audience as they personally mark it and want it to their taste. Also, start when they give it you - I know they always say do it and most of us don’t but, it makes such a difference.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Firstly, I’d calculate exactly what you need to get a 2:1 if that’s your aim. So if you need 80% in your remaining modules then you can aim for a really high mark in your best module. If that makes sense? Generally you drop a module as well so don’t forget about that. It makes a massive difference for most people. (My friend was on a 2:2 in year 2 and he pulled it back to a first in his final year).

In regards to not understanding the coursework, do you have friends on the course? I always discussed everything before I even started work as everyone reads it differently. Then I’d do all my research and speak to the professor to see if I was on the right lines. I found most will help you if you show an interest however, it’ll be harder for you as they are shocking at emails. They want you to engage and if you go with a plan then they will be more than happy to help. I’ve always hated asking for help and preferred to figure everything out on my own. You can’t have this approach at uni as it’s so specific. It doesn’t matter if you are great at writing, if you don’t meet the brief then you’ll get a low grade. Therefore, always ask for help!! It’s easier said than done though.

I studied Quantity Surveying and we had a couple of law modules. I found in them, you gained so many marks for just using the relevant cases and applying it to your essay.

Year 3 is usually easier. I got my best results in my final 3 modules but, I did really try as I lost focus in the first half of the year and was too busy focusing on my personal life. For exams I used to make up songs and record myself to the backing track. I used cheesy songs like Physical - Olivia Newton and I remembered everything in the exam. It’s cheesy but, it’s always worked for me. Also, find out how many sources your professor wants you to use, some want 15 others 25. Write it to your specific audience as they personally mark it and want it to their taste. Also, start when they give it you - I know they always say do it and most of us don’t but, it makes such a difference.
This is so helpful thank you! I will calculate the percentages. Yeah, I do have friends on the course and one in particular is helpful but the other students in my course are really competitive and you can ask a question and no one will answer it. I will make an effort to ask her about what she thinks of the coursework (I haven't before because I have a weird hangup over people thinking I'm trying to poach their answers).

I didn't know whether I should have started this thread but the advice I've received has been so helpful for me. I don't have people around me that have been to uni so I had no idea what I should do to move on and improve but hearing from people who know uni has been exactly what I needed.

If it reassures you I’ve gotten 3 thirds for my first term of second year and I worked my ass off, not many people on my course got high grades due to lack of support. Don’t beat yourself up, we have the rest of the year plus next year (your third year counts more btw). It will all be okay, you’re not a failure at all. A lot of people have dropped out too on my course, passing is hard enough during covid. ❤

• Heart
Ok, so I'm in my third year of Criminology and Law, and it definitely gets easier. The 2nd year is tough, because you are starting to stretch your research skills etc, and Law degrees have an awful lot of philosophy and theory in them, and you need to know how to answer particular essay questions etc. But, you have got to your 2nd year, and you were accepted onto the course in the first place, which means you are capable. I am by no means a tutor or anything at all, but if the nasty sods on your course won't help you, I will. Is there a specific question/area that you want to talk about?

• Heart
Trust me when I say your tutors and any other academic/study support services your uni have will want to hear from you.
They spend a lot of time working on ways they can support students who are struggling so please don’t worry about approaching them 💚
Look out for any online events they might be running too if you’d benefit from some interaction with other students (maybe not on your course but in general).

• Heart
Reactions: 6
My friend got a lot of 2’2s throughout her second year at uni and ended up with a first. There’s still plenty of time so don’t panic!

Try not to be scared or intimidated by your tutors. They’re being paid to teach and support you and so need to be doing their job- I’d reach out, introduce yourself, explain that you’re struggling but keen to turn things around - they will like this!

can you buddy up with someone on your course? You could bounce ideas off each other and pre read each others essays etc.

At the end of the day try not to stress too much, in the big scheme of life a degree doesn’t massively matter too much :) you’ll will be fine!X

• Heart
Please speak to your tutors. There is so much support out there.

I always do worst in my second year. I always do well in my first, then struggle and want to quit in my second then pull it back in my third. I've done uni three times and it's always the same. I hate second year!!

• Heart
2020 law graduate here 👋🏻

First things first. Your mental health is of paramount importance. Without protecting this, you face a much bigger battle. Please go and make an appointment with student well-being (or equivalent) at your uni. They are a fantastic service. Do not suffer in silence. They will point you in the right direction.
Second year of a law degree is notoriously difficult. Please do not panic. You are paying a lot of money for your tuition. You must go to your lecturers and tell them you are struggling. It is their job to help you. Are there any academic writing support services offered through your uni library?
I know others mean well on here, but the reality is, your grades do matter when it comes to a law career. However, what is it you want to do with your degree? Do you actually want to practice law? Do you want a city job? A national firm? Or something else? This will determine the type of grades you need to set yourself. Places like the Government Legal Dept and CPS have a minimum grade of 2:2. These are still competitive schemes, but you do have options.
Also, when you finish uni, try and get some practical legal experience. I volunteered at my local law centre for one day a week. Go to legal networking events and insight days. Get on LinkedIn. There are so many barrister chambers offering insight days and virtual mini-pupillages. Try get a paralegal job or legal assistant role after you graduate. Does your uni offer any mentoring services with alumni? You may be able to link up with law graduates.
You have plenty of options. You have plenty of time to turn this around.

• Heart
This is so helpful thank you! I will calculate the percentages. Yeah, I do have friends on the course and one in particular is helpful but the other students in my course are really competitive and you can ask a question and no one will answer it. I will make an effort to ask her about what she thinks of the coursework (I haven't before because I have a weird hangup over people thinking I'm trying to poach their answers).

I didn't know whether I should have started this thread but the advice I've received has been so helpful for me. I don't have people around me that have been to uni so I had no idea what I should do to move on and improve but hearing from people who know uni has been exactly what I needed.
Honestly don’t worry about asking people. Most people are in the same boat and everyone is a bit scared of asking. But, once you make that step then usually most people become reassured and let their guard down. In my experience, most people will discuss the work and what they will write but, keep the sources to themselves. Also, if you can get in touch with anyone in the year above that will help massively. It’ll be hard with COVID but, usually you have a board with ambassadors etc? Or maybe through people who are in the student union. I found someone just by sitting in the library and he explained things where he’d gone wrong etc which really helped!

• Heart
Definitely reach out to your supervisor and explain everything and the impact it is having on your mental health. Fair warning that there is probably little that they can do as an individual but they can signpost you to other services etc. For your modules as well try to engage with your module leader for any queries you have. Also any optional/formative assessment offered make sure you submit a good piece of work, the feedback for these is invaluable.

Second year Law is really hard so try not to beat yourself up too much. It'll get easier in third year, I also believe that the weighting is so that 2nd year counts to a third of your final grade, 3rd year is two thirds so you can definitely turn it around with the right support. I don't intend to be harsh with this but no one can help if they don't know you need help, so you've got to take the steps to get support. Really wish you the best of luck with it all and hope you've got some good people in your department to help you out!

• Heart
There's some useful TED talks on youtube about managing expectations. I think might help because I certainly don't see how you can think you're failing with those grades. You're doing great 👍

• Heart
I studied Law, albeit a few years ago, and my second year was torturous. At one point all I wanted to do was drop out as I thought there was no way I was going to make it through. I ended up leaving with a First thanks to a combination of my tutors and my husband (then boyfriend). Do not beat yourself up. Looking back now with hindsight I am forever grateful they push that hard in your second year. Depending of where you want to go in Law it really does give you the stepping stones you need.

It’s been a while since I was studying but if I can help in any way, let me know.

• Heart
Everyone has given great advice regarding getting your grades up. But even if you don't manage it, it's not the end of the world. I also studied Law for my degree and found it very difficult. I ended up with a 2.2 and am now a qualified solicitor :)

• Heart
Reactions: 7
If it reassures you I’ve gotten 3 thirds for my first term of second year and I worked my ass off, not many people on my course got high grades due to lack of support. Don’t beat yourself up, we have the rest of the year plus next year (your third year counts more btw). It will all be okay, you’re not a failure at all. A lot of people have dropped out too on my course, passing is hard enough during covid. ❤
It does reassure me thank you xx We do have the rest of the year and I need to keep that in mind.
Ok, so I'm in my third year of Criminology and Law, and it definitely gets easier. The 2nd year is tough, because you are starting to stretch your research skills etc, and Law degrees have an awful lot of philosophy and theory in them, and you need to know how to answer particular essay questions etc. But, you have got to your 2nd year, and you were accepted onto the course in the first place, which means you are capable. I am by no means a tutor or anything at all, but if the nasty sods on your course won't help you, I will. Is there a specific question/area that you want to talk about?
This is definitely true about my research skills being stretched! Something I would like to ask (if you don't mind!) is if you know how to write a case note or have seen any helpful resources on how to write a case note. Thank you xx
Trust me when I say your tutors and any other academic/study support services your uni have will want to hear from you.
They spend a lot of time working on ways they can support students who are struggling so please don’t worry about approaching them 💚
Look out for any online events they might be running too if you’d benefit from some interaction with other students (maybe not on your course but in general).
I have just spent some time reviewing the last essay with my tutor! She was def insightful and she wasn't uncomfortable to approach so I think I need to make more of an effort to reach out. I received an email about online events (not for people on my course) so I might try to go to one of them. 😘
My friend got a lot of 2’2s throughout her second year at uni and ended up with a first. There’s still plenty of time so don’t panic!

Try not to be scared or intimidated by your tutors. They’re being paid to teach and support you and so need to be doing their job- I’d reach out, introduce yourself, explain that you’re struggling but keen to turn things around - they will like this!

can you buddy up with someone on your course? You could bounce ideas off each other and pre read each others essays etc.

At the end of the day try not to stress too much, in the big scheme of life a degree doesn’t massively matter too much :) you’ll will be fine!X
I reached out and my tutor asked to speak to me in office hours on a video call so hopefully I'll be able to get some support from her! will try to bounce ideas off my mates a bit more and check that things are similar to what they've done. thank you xx
Please speak to your tutors. There is so much support out there.

I always do worst in my second year. I always do well in my first, then struggle and want to quit in my second then pull it back in my third. I've done uni three times and it's always the same. I hate second year!!
I have reached out and am being asked to video call later this week in office hours so I will try and relay my concerns. I'll join you in the hating second year club!!
2020 law graduate here 👋🏻

First things first. Your mental health is of paramount importance. Without protecting this, you face a much bigger battle. Please go and make an appointment with student well-being (or equivalent) at your uni. They are a fantastic service. Do not suffer in silence. They will point you in the right direction.
Second year of a law degree is notoriously difficult. Please do not panic. You are paying a lot of money for your tuition. You must go to your lecturers and tell them you are struggling. It is their job to help you. Are there any academic writing support services offered through your uni library?
I know others mean well on here, but the reality is, your grades do matter when it comes to a law career. However, what is it you want to do with your degree? Do you actually want to practice law? Do you want a city job? A national firm? Or something else? This will determine the type of grades you need to set yourself. Places like the Government Legal Dept and CPS have a minimum grade of 2:2. These are still competitive schemes, but you do have options.
Also, when you finish uni, try and get some practical legal experience. I volunteered at my local law centre for one day a week. Go to legal networking events and insight days. Get on LinkedIn. There are so many barrister chambers offering insight days and virtual mini-pupillages. Try get a paralegal job or legal assistant role after you graduate. Does your uni offer any mentoring services with alumni? You may be able to link up with law graduates.
You have plenty of options. You have plenty of time to turn this around.
It's nice to hear from someone who has done all this recently and congratulations on your graduation! I will make an appointment with student well-being. I have no idea about academic writing support services. I know last year I took an essay writing class but that was cut short due to Covid so I can try and work out if there's a service available. I do want to practise law but I'm not sure what area of Law I want to go into. I've been applying to commercial law vacation schemes (and have been rejected by them all) but I don't think I want to practise commercial law. I've been looking at family law and whilst I hadn't considered the Government Legal Dept or the CPS until you mentioned them, I think I want to consider them. I am definitely on the hunt for legal experience. I am currently volunteering with the Legal Advice Centre linked to my uni and I have been looking for other experience but haven't got there just yet. I think asking high street firms if they are willing to have me might be a good idea? Thank you for your advice xx
Honestly don’t worry about asking people. Most people are in the same boat and everyone is a bit scared of asking. But, once you make that step then usually most people become reassured and let their guard down. In my experience, most people will discuss the work and what they will write but, keep the sources to themselves. Also, if you can get in touch with anyone in the year above that will help massively. It’ll be hard with COVID but, usually you have a board with ambassadors etc? Or maybe through people who are in the student union. I found someone just by sitting in the library and he explained things where he’d gone wrong etc which really helped!
I will make the first move and get some advice off people about the essays definitely! I think I know one person in the year above so I might try reaching out and asking.
Definitely reach out to your supervisor and explain everything and the impact it is having on your mental health. Fair warning that there is probably little that they can do as an individual but they can signpost you to other services etc. For your modules as well try to engage with your module leader for any queries you have. Also any optional/formative assessment offered make sure you submit a good piece of work, the feedback for these is invaluable.

Second year Law is really hard so try not to beat yourself up too much. It'll get easier in third year, I also believe that the weighting is so that 2nd year counts to a third of your final grade, 3rd year is two thirds so you can definitely turn it around with the right support. I don't intend to be harsh with this but no one can help if they don't know you need help, so you've got to take the steps to get support. Really wish you the best of luck with it all and hope you've got some good people in your department to help you out!
That's really, really true about nobody being able to help if they don't know anything so I've reached out and I'm hoping they'll be able to aid me a bit! Thank you xx
There's some useful TED talks on youtube about managing expectations. I think might help because I certainly don't see how you can think you're failing with those grades. You're doing great 👍
I definitely need to manage my expectations somewhat because I do think I expect to be good at most things (no idea why) so rejection hits me quite hard!
I studied Law, albeit a few years ago, and my second year was torturous. At one point all I wanted to do was drop out as I thought there was no way I was going to make it through. I ended up leaving with a First thanks to a combination of my tutors and my husband (then boyfriend). Do not beat yourself up. Looking back now with hindsight I am forever grateful they push that hard in your second year. Depending of where you want to go in Law it really does give you the stepping stones you need.

It’s been a while since I was studying but if I can help in any way, let me know.
Thank you for giving me hope! If you have any resources on how to write a good case note that would be helpful? If not, thank you for giving me a a push.
Everyone has given great advice regarding getting your grades up. But even if you don't manage it, it's not the end of the world. I also studied Law for my degree and found it very difficult. I ended up with a 2.2 and am now a qualified solicitor :)
This is really nice to hear from somebody. Thank you 😘

• Heart