Fabric softener, to use or not to use?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have an ecoegg 😀 no need for softner or powder!! Saves me a fortune 😋

Reactions: 3
Have you tried the bamboo kitchen roll? That’s awesome too! And the detox washing machine tablets 😍
No, I bought my eco egg and that over a year ago and have only bought refills. Didn't know the other things existed. Off to have a look now, thanks

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I use white vinegar on towels and whites
my mother never used it and all our clothes where itchy and felt like cardboard (she did use the cheapest of cheap powder tho)
i really need to start weaning myself off it cos I don’t think it makes a difference to our clothes and it’s costing me a fortune each month
might look into making my own

I had to rewash loads of my husband's clothes and literally all of our sheets/towels because of a damp issue and been using white vinegar in washes, I'm surprised at how soft everything is coming out! And it doesn't smell.
I got a bulk order of 20 litres from Amazon for £13.99

I use it all the time even on towels.
I live in a terrible hard water area and if I didn't use fabric conditioner, everything would be so hard and rough.

I did try vinegar (on towels) before, but I didn't feel that it did anything and the small did linger .....

I think if you live in a hard water area, fabric conditioner is more helpful.
I never use it on my sportswear though - apparently it interferes with the sweat wicking process. God forbid!

Reactions: 3
I had to stop as it clogged our washing machine and the repair man told me I was mad to use it. I haven't noticed a difference but I do notice when my children have been to the inlaws, I notice their clothes STINKING of fabric conditioner when they come back!
Just stop using it. Wish I hadn't wasted money on it for so long. And my clothes are just as soft, just a bit less greasy which is obviously a good thing!

Reactions: 2
I don't use it. I never really have as in uni I went with the cheapest thing, and then learned that it coats your clothes and makes your towels less absorbent. I do miss the nice smells etc but not worth it really.

I don't use it. I never really have as in uni I went with the cheapest thing, and then learned that it coats your clothes and makes your towels less absorbent. I do miss the nice smells etc but not worth it really.
You can buy Aldi's scent boosters :)

I use watered down (cheap) hair conditioner. Smells much nicer. I can’t stand the smell of fabric conditioner - you really notice it once you stop using it. It gives me a headache. As does those smelly plug in things.

I use white vinegar now with a few drops of essential oil.
I can honestly say that all my clothes and towels have never felt or smelt so clean and fresh. Softer too.
Will never go back to softner.

I’d love to use it but can’t really. I have a bottle of fairy as it’s sensitive... and put a tiny tiny bit in. I get really itchy skin and sore eyes if I use anything scented so I don’t really have a choice! I suppose it’s bad for you anyway to use too many chemicals but I would use scented ones if I could tbh as they smell lush! I used too then suddenly became allergic :( my favourite smell is Ariel pods but again I can’t use them :( x

I use it with everything, after reading this I'm starting to think I should maybe stop.

Another one here for white vinegar with a few drops of essential oil.

If you want to go the whole hog, give Soap Nuts a go for the general wash itself. I've used ever since my daughter was a baby and developed eczema.

Its dirt cheap. I only buy two bags a year. That's £22. Also I make a laundry liquid from the used nuts. Loads of handy tips on Googe from fellow Soap Nutters.

Yes I also had a washer repair man out who said it ruins the machine. I haven't used it since

He showed me the big black slimey gunk ball he removed from the water outlet 🤮🤮

I use bicarb and white vinegar and sometimes a little bit of zoflora if I want a nice smell