Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Noname12345

Chatty Member
Towels shouldn't be washed with a softener, because it's reduces their absorbency.

I recommend white vinegar instead. Or white vinegar and Natbrands softener thing.

Reactions: 6

OneLineResponse

VIP Member
I’ve been reading a lot online about people who have stopped using fabric softener. I admit I go through a lot of it and love the smell but this year I really want to try and cut down on excess consumerism. Is it a necessity for you?

I make up this in a one litre bottle: 300ml water, 300ml white vinegar, 45ml vegetable glycerine, 30 drops of lemon oil. Shake.

• Heart
Reactions: 5

Forfoxsake

I've never used it and neither did my mum... don't like pungent scents and normal washing powder/liquid is scented enough for me. I never knew about not washing towels with fabric softener - I like my towels to be as rough as sandpaper as I never feel like soft fluffy towels get you dry, so I'm glad I don't use softener!

Reactions: 4

Lyds26

No

Not necessary and some have toxic chems. Fabric softner can help aid towels being softer. Its the only time I use it as towels can be dry but you can wash them and let towels dry naturally then its ok.

Even better make youre own fabric conditioner if you want to be kinder to the environment. You tube got all that on there!!
I use waitrose fabric softners they smell natural.

Ive gone from the PS chat to Laundry. Love it 😆
I can’t even keep up with PS chat 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 4

Curly Top

VIP Member
I think if you live in a hard water area, fabric conditioner is more helpful.
I never use it on my sportswear though - apparently it interferes with the sweat wicking process. God forbid!

Reactions: 3

MrsH14

I ran out recently and noticed a big difference in the amount of bubbles the washing machine produces without it. My clothes feel a lot cleaner without.

• Heart
Reactions: 2

Tui

VIP Member
I don't use it. I never really have as in uni I went with the cheapest thing, and then learned that it coats your clothes and makes your towels less absorbent. I do miss the nice smells etc but not worth it really.

SharkAttack

VIP Member
I had to stop as it clogged our washing machine and the repair man told me I was mad to use it. I haven't noticed a difference but I do notice when my children have been to the inlaws, I notice their clothes STINKING of fabric conditioner when they come back!
Just stop using it. Wish I hadn't wasted money on it for so long. And my clothes are just as soft, just a bit less greasy which is obviously a good thing!

Slithering

Another one here for white vinegar with a few drops of essential oil.

If you want to go the whole hog, give Soap Nuts a go for the general wash itself. I've used ever since my daughter was a baby and developed eczema.

Its dirt cheap. I only buy two bags a year. That's £22. Also I make a laundry liquid from the used nuts. Loads of handy tips on Googe from fellow Soap Nutters.

bubbletea123

VIP Member
I used to use it but stopped last year. It wears down the fibers in clothes, especially jeans, as well as bed sheets, making them thinner.

Coconutbug

I had to rewash loads of my husband's clothes and literally all of our sheets/towels because of a damp issue and been using white vinegar in washes, I'm surprised at how soft everything is coming out! And it doesn't smell.
I got a bulk order of 20 litres from Amazon for £13.99

Reactions: 1

Scvee13

Have you tried the bamboo kitchen roll? That’s awesome too! And the detox washing machine tablets 😍
No, I bought my eco egg and that over a year ago and have only bought refills. Didn't know the other things existed. Off to have a look now, thanks

• Heart

Loulu2020

Towels shouldn't be washed with a softener, because it's reduces their absorbency.

I recommend white vinegar instead. Or white vinegar and Natbrands softener thing.
My sist uses vinegar too! I use a vinegar based house spray for house cleaning not tested on animals too. Iuse supermarket brands as they arent testes on animals.

Cool cleaning tips. Cheers 😀