Experiences with setraline

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I started 50mg of sertraline a week ago for post natal depression. I’m also having counselling.

I had a couple of days where I was just sweating like a pig. So embarrassing. Constantly wiping my forehead.

But today I just feel so emotionless. Like numb. My toddler is bringing me books to do etc and I’m just sat on the sofa staring at the tv feeling so flat.

It’s not a nice feeling and Google tells me it can be a side effect.

The brain fog is pissing me off too. I’m just struggling to get through the day making decisions like what shall I have for dinner tonight? Simple decisions like that.

Anyone else been like this? Does it pass?
I also feel like this. It’s hideous but good to know I’m not alone.
I just have no motivation to do anything.
my boy is 2 years old and very needy atm so when he sees mummy sitting staring into space he gets frustrated and tries dragging me off the sofa 😐🤣 I can’t snap out of it, it’s annoying me now.
I’m sweating buckets one minute, freezing cold the next, that’s also winding me up.

I don’t know if I’m gonna keep up the sertraline tbh its been 3 weeks now and I genuinely feel worse 😅 everyone keeps saying stick at it, it gets better but I’m just feeling fed up of the side effects now!
I recommend giving yourself some me time, if you can do that with little one. Even if it’s just a walk around a shop in the evening, a bath, listen to some music, do what makes you happy for an hour or two. I find that really helps me to come round to reality, have time to process how I feel.

Sertraline is the second SSRI i've been on and it's the best by a long way. I don't usually suffer from side effects from tablets in general but when I say I got every side one possible with Sertraline, I really did. The Dr told me to give it 8 weeks and it did take me that long to feel better. There were days where I would just cry about how crap I felt and really didn't want to go but i'm so glad I stuck with it. I'm the best I've ever ever felt and it truely has been life changing! I didn't believe the people that said it got better but I promise you it really does! There is light, just stick with it x

Reactions: 2
I wake up absolutely saturated every morning! It’s horrendous! I get through so many duvet covers in the laundry now! 😅
My sweating was so bad that my Dr put me on Ditropan which is for people with incontinence problems but reduces sweating as a side effect. I tried other SSRIs and didn't get on with them as well as sertraline so I took that as a compromise 😅

Works pretty well to be fair! I think I sweat a pretty average amount now, so might be something to ask your Dr about if otherwise you're really getting on with sertraline.

• Heart
Hope everyone is keeping well.

I wondered if anyone else notices a difference in the effectiveness of different sertraline brands? My chemist often changes which generic brand they give me and I swear it’s noticeable that some just don’t work for me. Google is a bit inconclusive - could all be in my head and maybe I’m just having a few days of naturally not feeling great and attributing it to the wrong thing. But would be interested in others’ views.
I’ve spoken to a pharmacist about this (not on this medication) and apparently it can be a thing,
I’m no chemist but it’s something to do with how the ingredients are compounded together (that’s the dumbed down way of saying it) and how they then enter the body.
she did say sometimes they can have a slightly different effect on certain people.

everyone should be told this in my opinion

• Heart
Reactions: 1
My sweating was so bad that my Dr put me on Ditropan which is for people with incontinence problems but reduces sweating as a side effect. I tried other SSRIs and didn't get on with them as well as sertraline so I took that as a compromise 😅

Works pretty well to be fair! I think I sweat a pretty average amount now, so might be something to ask your Dr about if otherwise you're really getting on with sertraline.
Oh thanks for the tip, I’ll ask my GP about it when I have my review next month! It’s definitely a small price to pay for how much it’s benefitted my life! But would deffo like to try something to reduce it before summer arrives 😅 Should’ve seen the state of me when I had covid last year - I was just a puddle on the floor 🥵

I wake up absolutely saturated every morning! It’s horrendous! I get through so many duvet covers in the laundry now! 😅
I’m on week three and have started experiencing this. I am SATURATED when I wake up. I’m not even hot either which is the weirdest thing. It’s vile. On the plus side I’m not suffering from the absolutely crackers dreams I used to get when I was previously on them. I really hope this symptom stops because I’m fastidious with my hygiene and I wake up feeling absolutely disgusting.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
These sweaty legs! Have a a review next week as have recently gone on up to 150mg, go me! Think I will have to mention it as it’s waking up at night so uncomfortable.

• Heart
I’m on week three and have started experiencing this. I am SATURATED when I wake up. I’m not even hot either which is the weirdest thing. It’s vile. On the plus side I’m not suffering from the absolutely crackers dreams I used to get when I was previously on them. I really hope this symptom stops because I’m fastidious with my hygiene and I wake up feeling absolutely disgusting.
Ugh same! I feel like I spend 50% of my week in the shower or washing my duvet covers now 😅 You feel so grotty when you wake up don’t you! Never even knew knees were capable of sweating till I started Sertraline 🥲

Ugh same! I feel like I spend 50% of my week in the shower or washing my duvet covers now 😅 You feel so grotty when you wake up don’t you! Never even knew knees were capable of sweating till I started Sertraline 🥲
It only really seems to be my legs too!!!!! It’s so so weird.

So glad I found this thread! I usually sweat quite a lot at night anyway due to an overactive thyroid but HOLY MOTHER OF GOD... the night sweats since being on sertraline (3 weeks in now) are something else. Genuinely had to go and buy new pyjamas earlier as I've drenched all my existing ones in the last few days 😂

• Haha
So glad I found this thread! I usually sweat quite a lot at night anyway due to an overactive thyroid but HOLY MOTHER OF GOD... the night sweats since being on sertraline (3 weeks in now) are something else. Genuinely had to go and buy new pyjamas earlier as I've drenched all my existing ones in the last few days 😂
Welcome to the gang!

My dose has just been increased from 50 to 100. Spoke to the nurse at the doctor and I was honest and said I still don’t feel like I’m coping (I’m a lone parent, with a toddler who doesn’t sleep and isn’t very well - long term. He’s also got a slight speech delay), and I’m just permanently stressing and it’s worsened my PND.

Bit scared of the increase tbh.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
My dose has just been increased from 50 to 100. Spoke to the nurse at the doctor and I was honest and said I still don’t feel like I’m coping (I’m a lone parent, with a toddler who doesn’t sleep and isn’t very well - long term. He’s also got a slight speech delay), and I’m just permanently stressing and it’s worsened my PND.

Bit scared of the increase tbh.
I moved up to 100mg after a month on Sertraline and I’ve not looked back! I was still worked up and not sleeping well on 50mg and then the clouds just lifted after the dose increase. You might get a bit of emotional blunting initially but it improves after a week or so 💕 Stick it out! I hope you feel better soon lovely x

• Heart
I moved up to 100mg after a month on Sertraline and I’ve not looked back! I was still worked up and not sleeping well on 50mg and then the clouds just lifted after the dose increase. You might get a bit of emotional blunting initially but it improves after a week or so 💕 Stick it out! I hope you feel better soon lovely x
Aww thank you so much!! Yes I’ve had awful insomnia on 50mg, and when I first started it I felt very numb. Almost like I was having an out of body experience. So I’m a bit nervous about the increase but I will stick with it and ride the waves until I’m feeling more like the old me! X

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Aww thank you so much!! Yes I’ve had awful insomnia on 50mg, and when I first started it I felt very numb. Almost like I was having an out of body experience. So I’m a bit nervous about the increase but I will stick with it and ride the waves until I’m feeling more like the old me! X
For me the 50 to 100 jump was a game changer. 100 agrees with me and makes a big difference. It took about six weeks after the increase to settle. But it was so worth it. Stick with it and I’m sure you will feel so much better soon! X
---
Also… I’ve been on it for a year now. I don’t want to come off it. I didn’t think about it until a physio I saw made a comment about how a year on it is a long time. Now I’m wondering?! But my doctor never said I need to come off it so I’m personally thinking I never will.

• Heart
For me the 50 to 100 jump was a game changer. 100 agrees with me and makes a big difference. It took about six weeks after the increase to settle. But it was so worth it. Stick with it and I’m sure you will feel so much better soon! X
---
Also… I’ve been on it for a year now. I don’t want to come off it. I didn’t think about it until a physio I saw made a comment about how a year on it is a long time. Now I’m wondering?! But my doctor never said I need to come off it so I’m personally thinking I never will.
This drives me bonkers. Some people are on it for a short amount of time because it’s been to help with a short term situation. Others need it for life and that is ok. No other medication is questioned like SSRI’s. A year is not a long time anyway because they say six months to start really. You feel they’ve changed your life and make a difference then you continue!

• Heart
---
I really hope it’s a game changer for me. I’m on them cos of PND. Never suffered with my mental health before baby. Its because he’s not well and I had absolutely no help from anyone when I needed it. Things got a bit too much. Keeping my fingers crossed!

• Heart
Eugh, just completed week 3 of my 50mg script and I have had a bad crash. I’m currently taking them for low mood and really struggling with my self worth. I’m a bit paranoid people think I’m stupid, my work hate me and I’m going to lose my job. My mood had improved but now it’s seriously nose dived. Have a review this week but hoping it passes quick rather than needed my dosage altering!

---
Sorry but physios know nothing about medication, least of all anti-depressants and should not be commenting on what you take. This is highly unprofessional and tbh this physio should be reported, they should stick to their job and not try and play doctor. A year is not a long time to be on sertraline, for some people depression and anxiety is a lifelong condition. If you had a physical condition they would not say a year taking medication for it is a long time. I wonder how they would feel if you came off that medication and became suicidal. There is research to show how long you should take certain anti-depressants but you should either do that research yourself or ask a doctor OR just go on how you feel, NOT listen to a physio.

• Heart