Experiences with setraline

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think I’m going to make an appointment with my GP and see if I may need to start something like Setraline but I don’t know if things are bad enough for me to take it.

I’ve had the lowest year of my life and I struggle to get through most days and I’ve developed anxiety. I countdown until I can get into bed at night and I hate that my daughter can see me looking sad.

I know it’s stemmed from heartbreak but I’m not sure if I just need to suck it up and get over it on my own.
Please go to your GP lovely 💕 Like the others have said, if you had a physical problem you’d treat it and mental health is no different! I think we often don’t realise how bad we’ve let things get until we seek treatment, we get so used to ‘sucking it up’. I liken going on sertraline to when I first started wearing glasses. I didn’t realise just how bad my eyesight had got until I started wearing them. Likewise, I didn’t realise I’d been living with background levels of anxiety for so long until my brain suddenly went quiet on the meds 👌

Even if you just look into it temporarily if you think the reason you’re feeling down is because of your current life circumstances. Sometimes we just need something to help us see the light at the end of the tunnel 💕

Reactions: 2
Thank you so much to all those that have replied to me. I’m going to make an appointment.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Hope everyone is keeping well.

I wondered if anyone else notices a difference in the effectiveness of different sertraline brands? My chemist often changes which generic brand they give me and I swear it’s noticeable that some just don’t work for me. Google is a bit inconclusive - could all be in my head and maybe I’m just having a few days of naturally not feeling great and attributing it to the wrong thing. But would be interested in others’ views.

I wondered if anyone else notices a difference in the effectiveness of different sertraline brands? My chemist often changes which generic brand they give me and I swear it’s noticeable that some just don’t work for me. Google is a bit inconclusive - could all be in my head and maybe I’m just having a few days of naturally not feeling great and attributing it to the wrong thing. But would be interested in others’ views.
I haven’t had different brands to comment, but I know my friend can notice a differenceon brands for their thyroid meds. Completely unrelated, I know.
Hope you feel better soon x

• Heart
Reactions: 1

I’ve just been given a different brand this time and I feel myself having more ‘bad days’ where I am irritable etc.

Also noticing my periods have been late whilst on Sertraline. Anyone else?

• Heart
Thank you so much to all those that have replied to me. I’m going to make an appointment.
I felt the exact same as you, if you look back a few pages. I can’t remember exactly when I started taking sertraline, possibly in November? Not sure, but anyway, I’m on the lowest dosage, the side effects were pretty bad for a while but they have all subsided now and I feel the best I’ve felt in years.

I was thinking to myself the other day god I haven’t cried or felt too anxious in ages, then I realised I haven’t even had any extreme intrusive thoughts in ages. It’s like a huge dark cloud has been lifted from above my head.

I hope everything gets better for you soon, it’s the best decision I’ve made getting help ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Eughhhh so back on Sertraline. First dose today and definitely feel ‘medicated’. Restless leg and a pressure in my jaw. Wasn’t expecting to dive as quickly into the side effects but I am feeling poorly at the moment too so much immune system is taking a battering.
Reeeeeaaaaaallllyyy worrying about the potential weight gain. I’m overweight as it is and my self worth is shot to pieces from it. I can’t really remember whether I gained the last time I was on it!

I’ve been on sertraline, 2 weeks today.
Obviously I didnt feel anything for the first 5 days then wow, it hit me like a ton of bricks.
Felt so low, anxious, couldn’t stop crying. Getting really triggered over the smallest of things.
Once those feelings were over, I had 2 days where I felt amazing, so much so, I went out all day both days, felt positive about the future, wasn’t speaking negatively and felt generally really good.
And now I’m back to feeling low again, I’m able to function but can definitely feel something lingering. I
I feel like I could easily just cry at any moment.

I’ve been signed off work, been off for 3 weeks now, I’m due to go back to the doctors tonight for a review, my sick note runs out next Tuesday. I definitely don’t feel ready to go back to work yet, especially if I feel so delicate still.
Work is the reason I am in this state. But at the same time I don’t wanna put it off any longer and make it harder for myself to go back. It’s a catch 22 situation.
Just wondering how long it was before people started to feel continuous ‘good’ effects from taking it. Cause I don’t know if I can live like this while I’m taking it.

Having previously used it I think it sounds it probably isn’t the right medication for you, or perhaps you need a higher dosage. If anything after two weeks you should be starting to stabilise more in your moods. That being said absolutely everyone is different and has different experiences. Your doctor may switch you onto another medication so just be totally honest with them.

Has anyone ever had hot/cold sweats on sertraline??
I’m sweating just laying on the sofa but can feel the cold aswell. I’m obsessing over a draft in the room and I can’t find it, I am driving my husband mad. I’m worried I’m hallucinating 😅

Has anyone ever had hot/cold sweats on sertraline??
I’m sweating just laying on the sofa but can feel the cold aswell. I’m obsessing over a draft in the room and I can’t find it, I am driving my husband mad. I’m worried I’m hallucinating 😅
Yes! So weird but my legs and neck seem to sweat a lot. Especially in the evenings.

I wake up absolutely saturated every morning! It’s horrendous! I get through so many duvet covers in the laundry now! 😅

I started 50mg of sertraline a week ago for post natal depression. I’m also having counselling.

I had a couple of days where I was just sweating like a pig. So embarrassing. Constantly wiping my forehead.

But today I just feel so emotionless. Like numb. My toddler is bringing me books to do etc and I’m just sat on the sofa staring at the tv feeling so flat.

It’s not a nice feeling and Google tells me it can be a side effect.

The brain fog is pissing me off too. I’m just struggling to get through the day making decisions like what shall I have for dinner tonight? Simple decisions like that.

Anyone else been like this? Does it pass?

I started 50mg of sertraline a week ago for post natal depression. I’m also having counselling.

I had a couple of days where I was just sweating like a pig. So embarrassing. Constantly wiping my forehead.

But today I just feel so emotionless. Like numb. My toddler is bringing me books to do etc and I’m just sat on the sofa staring at the tv feeling so flat.

It’s not a nice feeling and Google tells me it can be a side effect.

The brain fog is pissing me off too. I’m just struggling to get through the day making decisions like what shall I have for dinner tonight? Simple decisions like that.

Anyone else been like this? Does it pass?
I had that for about two weeks and it did pass for me. It will be different for everyone. I was numb, then just very chilled and I’ve been on it about 2+ months now and I feel ‘normal’. A lot more chilled but my emotions are back - getting annoyed at my OH etc 🤣

I have to be honest, I’m super tired on it. I sleep HEAVY! Anyone else had this? Or maybe it’s because I’m no longer super anxious 24/7?

I had that for about two weeks and it did pass for me. It will be different for everyone. I was numb, then just very chilled and I’ve been on it about 2+ months now and I feel ‘normal’. A lot more chilled but my emotions are back - getting annoyed at my OH etc 🤣

I have to be honest, I’m super tired on it. I sleep HEAVY! Anyone else had this? Or maybe it’s because I’m no longer super anxious 24/7?
Bless me #ididntknow 😉😉

Thanks for that…. I’m hoping it passes soon. My kid is 19 months so I’ve probably left it too late to take meds so I’m not expecting miracles overnight but I just want to feel normal again.

I just feel numb today. I’ve been saying I’ll go to tescos since 10am and I’m just sat here on the sofa with a tantrum going on from my kid and I’m just like I’m having an out of body feeling. Absolutely no emotions!

It’s referred to as ‘emotional blunting’ it can be a passing side effect but it can also be long term. Just persevere and review in 3 weeks. It’s not easy but it’ll be worth it x

Hopefully it’ll pass soon for you @swimming 💕 I got a really bad case of emotional blunting when I first moved up to 100mg, I just couldn’t feel anything and it was bizarre! I’m a lot better now, still not quite as empathetic as I used to be but I can at least feel something myself other than ‘meh’! 🤣