Experiences with setraline

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hope everyone is doing OK. I’m still loving my sertraline but struggling with the timing of taking it.

When I was taking it first thing, I found the next morning I was insanely tired and struggled to get up, and I wondered if that was because the dose was naturally wearing down after 24 hours (don’t really understand half life but something related to that).

But if I take it before bed, I sometimes find I wake up more during the night and then wake up super early and struggle to get back to sleep.

Tbh it’s worse when I’ve got less going on, so when I start my new job I’ll probably be more busy and tired and it won’t matter as much, but I just wondered how others manage the timing of taking it? I’d like to take it midday but I fear I’ll forget / not be able to if I’m in a meeting or something and then I’ll get inconsistent which is probably worse? Any advice would be very welcome ☺

Hope everyone is doing OK. I’m still loving my sertraline but struggling with the timing of taking it.

When I was taking it first thing, I found the next morning I was insanely tired and struggled to get up, and I wondered if that was because the dose was naturally wearing down after 24 hours (don’t really understand half life but something related to that).

But if I take it before bed, I sometimes find I wake up more during the night and then wake up super early and struggle to get back to sleep.

Tbh it’s worse when I’ve got less going on, so when I start my new job I’ll probably be more busy and tired and it won’t matter as much, but I just wondered how others manage the timing of taking it? I’d like to take it midday but I fear I’ll forget / not be able to if I’m in a meeting or something and then I’ll get inconsistent which is probably worse? Any advice would be very welcome ☺
I take mine right before I’m drifting off so can’t help I’m afraid. Maybe if you carried them with you and set a reminder on your phone you could do midday?

Reactions: 1
I absolutely loved sertraline whilst I was on it even though I found it a bit hard to sleep and had 0 libido (and it was very difficult to orgasm). It really did feel like a magic pill for depression and anxiety. For me it was definitely worth the libido issues.

But I started to get this crazy unexplained bruising all over my body within about a month of using it, like bruises the size of my palm, maybe around ten of them on each thigh. I went off and on it about four times and they would clear and then come back within a month of being on sertraline. I actually got scared I had blood cancer so I went off and had blood tests (all OK, just thyroid issues mainly).

I ended up permanently coming off it because of the bruising. I was worried whether it might be happening in my organs etc. too. I am usually very pro-medication and I don't scare easy. I guess I just wanted to say if anyone does get the bruising, consider whether it might be sertraline. it's extremely uncommon but thought it might be helpful to know. I would use sertraline if I didn't get these effects.

• Heart
I absolutely loved sertraline whilst I was on it even though I found it a bit hard to sleep and had 0 libido (and it was very difficult to orgasm). It really did feel like a magic pill for depression and anxiety. For me it was definitely worth the libido issues.

But I started to get this crazy unexplained bruising all over my body within about a month of using it, like bruises the size of my palm, maybe around ten of them on each thigh. I went off and on it about four times and they would clear and then come back within a month of being on sertraline. I actually got scared I had blood cancer so I went off and had blood tests (all OK, just thyroid issues mainly).

I ended up permanently coming off it because of the bruising. I was worried whether it might be happening in my organs etc. too. I am usually very pro-medication and I don't scare easy. I guess I just wanted to say if anyone does get the bruising, consider whether it might be sertraline. it's extremely uncommon but thought it might be helpful to know. I would use sertraline if I didn't get these effects.
I’ve definitely noticed more bruising than I’d normally get since I started the tablets. I’m often covered in them anyway as I work with animals but I get plenty of unexplained ones on my legs now. Also been really struggling in the heat - feel so much more sensitive to it since I started taking sertraline cos they make me sweat even on a normal day!

Reactions: 2
I have started having some awful nights with it. The second I take it I start producing so much saliva, like a crazy amount then the sickness comes after about 45mins. Real throwing up everything sick. It’s happened a few times and it’s within a couple of minutes of taking the tablets. I’ve been bad and not taken any more since Monday night. I know I can’t have nothing but I didn’t want the sickness ruining my holiday. The last few days I’ve been having periods of dizziness and I don’t know if this could be side effects of not taking the tablets.

Oh that's very interesting - I had unexplained bruising for a couple of months (and weirdly symmetrical so I knew it wasn't just from knocks I hadn't noticed) and hadn't made the connection with sertraline. On the other hand I also started getting petechiae before I was taking it so maybe a coincidence :unsure:

(I will get a blood test to check, I've just been out of the country for ages so haven't got around to it yet.)

The sweating is getting ridiculous for me now! I’m constantly having hot flushes and I’m always roasting at work! I’ve had to tell my boss that I’m taking the medication as she thought I had something wrong with me as I’m always so hot. I guess at least I’ll save money on heating this winter 😅

I forgot to take my tablets over about 2 days and now feel so ill, such a sore head and sore tummy. This happened to anyone else? How long did it last?

I forgot to take my tablets over about 2 days and now feel so ill, such a sore head and sore tummy. This happened to anyone else? How long did it last?
You're having withdrawal symptoms. I'm not on sertraline anymore but the antidepressant I take made me feel similar when I missed one dose, started feeling better once I was taking it again.

You're having withdrawal symptoms. I'm not on sertraline anymore but the antidepressant I take made me feel similar when I missed one dose, started feeling better once I was taking it again.
Thank you took one tonight after remembering and set my alarm to remember to take tomorrow so hopefully will ease off in a day or two

I've been put back on Sertraline after a few years....I don't recall it being this bad at the start? My anxiety is higher and my heart feels like it's racing all day, sleep is broken and 5am is my wakeup time, I feel sick and jittery. I know it can make you feel worse but I'm debating getting signed off work until it settles....Will it settle?! I feel just in a panic state

I've been put back on Sertraline after a few years....I don't recall it being this bad at the start? My anxiety is higher and my heart feels like it's racing all day, sleep is broken and 5am is my wakeup time, I feel sick and jittery. I know it can make you feel worse but I'm debating getting signed off work until it settles....Will it settle?! I feel just in a panic state
I was like that when I started back in January and it eventually subsided. My doctor gave me propranolol to take the edge off the extreme physical anxiety and that really helped, I very rarely have to take it with the sertraline now I’ve got used to it! 💕

I had the fast heart rate and Sleep was bad for a while and taking it during the day made me feel drowsy and tired all day and then had trouble sleeping at night. I take it at night now before bed and sleep a lot better.

I was like that when I started back in January and it eventually subsided. My doctor gave me propranolol to take the edge off the extreme physical anxiety and that really helped, I very rarely have to take it with the sertraline now I’ve got used to it! 💕
I just had a Google but I've got low blood pressure so it would probably have a fainting effect on me 🙈.

• Heart
I just had a Google but I've got low blood pressure so it would probably have a fainting effect on me 🙈.
I’m sure there are other things they could look into for you 💕 Or like the poster above says, changing the time of day you take it can really help! If I take mine in the morning I tend to wake up every day drenched in sweat, whereas I wake up normally if I take it at night - it’s so odd!

I’m sure there are other things they could look into for you 💕 Or like the poster above says, changing the time of day you take it can really help! If I take mine in the morning I tend to wake up every day drenched in sweat, whereas I wake up normally if I take it at night - it’s so odd!
Yeah may move tomorrow to taking at night but I'm new back on this so don't know when to switch round. Just so fed up of feeling this shite 😪

Hello everyone, just read through this thread and it’s making me really worried 😢
I’ve been put on this for the first time in my life and I’m worried about the side effects. I know I need help. I have been suffering in silence with OCD, anxiety and ptsd for years now and I’ve finally decided to try and take control of my life/brain.
I’m worried about weight gain, my weight is one of the causes for my anxiety. And I’m already struggling to sleep with intrusive thoughts most bedtimes! Also really don’t want to lose my sex drive because it really helps my partner and I feel close, after two kids!

Please can someone give me their honest experience? I’ve started taking it today, feeling absolutely fine at the moment but very tired, but I had my baby keeping me up all night so that’s probably why!

I’m starting therapy again soon so I’m hoping that will help too.

Hoping this will be a life changer for me because I struggle every day and I’ve been to anxious to tell a doctor because I hate admitting it out loud.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Hello everyone, just read through this thread and it’s making me really worried 😢
I’ve been put on this for the first time in my life and I’m worried about the side effects. I know I need help. I have been suffering in silence with OCD, anxiety and ptsd for years now and I’ve finally decided to try and take control of my life/brain.
I’m worried about weight gain, my weight is one of the causes for my anxiety. And I’m already struggling to sleep with intrusive thoughts most bedtimes! Also really don’t want to lose my sex drive because it really helps my partner and I feel close, after two kids!

Please can someone give me their honest experience? I’ve started taking it today, feeling absolutely fine at the moment but very tired, but I had my baby keeping me up all night so that’s probably why!

I’m starting therapy again soon so I’m hoping that will help too.

Hoping this will be a life changer for me because I struggle every day and I’ve been to anxious to tell a doctor because I hate admitting it out loud.
Honestly, I've been on it twice and both times the only side effect I had was a few hours of nausea on day 1. (Also I got terrible heartburn the first time round, but only because I didn't realise you had to take it with more than a tiny sip of water!) It had no effect on my sleep or appetite at all, unlike citalopram which completely fucked with both for the first few weeks. It seems to vary pretty randomly between people so you never know, you might also be lucky 😊

• Heart
Honestly, I've been on it twice and both times the only side effect I had was a few hours of nausea on day 1. (Also I got terrible heartburn the first time round, but only because I didn't realise you had to take it with more than a tiny sip of water!) It had no effect on my sleep or appetite at all, unlike citalopram which completely fucked with both for the first few weeks. It seems to vary pretty randomly between people so you never know, you might also be lucky 😊
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my ramble 😂🫣 I took it this morning and I felt a little sick earlier but other than that I feel ok, good in fact but I’m probably just in a good mood 😂
And does if anyone can please help- what happens if you drink alcohol with it? My dr didn’t mention it and I didn’t ask, just have a dinner with a friend over the weekend and I won’t drink if it’s going to make me feel tit!
Thanks again ❤