Exercise for weightloss

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I know that exercise alone won’t shift the lbs but I’m looking to support the diet with it.
I’m doing couch25k and want to supplement it with some strength training.
Would you go for the lat pull down 3x12 route, or do the exercises in a circuit (10 weighted lunges, 10 dumbbell deadlift, etc, etc for 3 rounds) ?

I’m back to being a novice no not sure what’s best.

I do barre, the classes I go to are a mix of strength training and cardio. We do the circuit style which I really like and have noticed a huge improvement in how much muscle I have.

I know that exercise alone won’t shift the lbs but I’m looking to support the diet with it.
Would you go for the lat pull down 3x12 route, or do the exercises in a circuit (10 weighted lunges, 10 dumbbell deadlift, etc, etc for 3 rounds) ?

do your S&C exercises in a circuit - you’ll be working more muscle groups and therefore toning more of your body.

Reactions: 2
HIIT type training isn’t for me. I don’t know why tbh, I’m probably just a traditionalist! Weight training with a mixture of high rep/low weight, low rep/high weight, compound into isolation supersets, drop sets etc. Worked really well when I lost weight previously.

I just run/cycle/swim now though. I can’t squeeze the extra S&C session into my schedule currently!

I’m currently doing couch to 5k too. I’m week three, where are you?
I would definitely recommend kettlebells as an effective extra to add in. I would suggest getting a trainer at your gym to show you 3/4 exercises that you can do 3 reps of 10 of each in a circuit. You can hurt yourself with weights if you don’t know what you’re doing - don’t be scared to ask correct stance and posture . Everyone starts somewhere. I haven’t a clue how to deadlift but want to learn. If you can do conditioning classes that could be fun too

Buy a kettlebell and do Bodyfit by Amy’s 10 minute beginner kettlebell routine video on YouTube. Honestly life changing.

Reactions: 3
Have a look at fitness blender, they have 100s of videos, which you can filter to get what you are looking for. Lovely, calm encouraging people. None of that screeching and yelling that so many americans adore. All you will need is a set of dumbbells.

I would definitely recommend Chloe Madeley's books. I did her first one, the 4 Week Body Blitz, for 12 weeks (which you can as you can do the plan for longer if you want, she explains in the book) while doing Couch to 5k and lost 1.5 stone in 3 months, then another 1.5 stone the 3 months after as I had learned about nutrition and was running three times a week.

I've not got her new book but it's all about weightlifting and it does look great. She's a qualified PT and knows what she is talking about. She's the first person who has ever made a weight loss plan stick for me (I'm still maintaining my weight two years on) so would recommend her if you want to get into strength training

Reactions: 3
I’m currently doing couch to 5k too. I’m week three, where are you?
I would definitely recommend kettlebells as an effective extra to add in. I would suggest getting a trainer at your gym to show you 3/4 exercises that you can do 3 reps of 10 of each in a circuit. You can hurt yourself with weights if you don’t know what you’re doing - don’t be scared to ask correct stance and posture . Everyone starts somewhere. I haven’t a clue how to deadlift but want to learn. If you can do conditioning classes that could be fun too
I’m on week 4, but managed a 4K run with my running group so deffo working.

I had a trainer for my wedding, so fairly comfortable with form. Just let it all go so have major anxiety about stepping back into the gym.

I’m on week 4, but managed a 4K run with my running group so deffo working.

I had a trainer for my wedding, so fairly comfortable with form. Just let it all go so have major anxiety about stepping back into the gym.
Ah amazing!! I start week three tonight. Im having to see a physio tomorrow as im getting such bad pain in my lower legs. Hope I can continue as I am actually enjoying it. I never ever ever thought I would as I have always absolutely HATED running!

Just realised I sounded a bit patronising in my last comment, sorry. I totally get your anxiety about going back into the gym. Im trying to build myself up to go back to a HIIT class I used to do. I went weekly but stopped and know I would definitely be the most unfit of the group.

I would definitely recommend Chloe Madeley's books. I did her first one, the 4 Week Body Blitz, for 12 weeks (which you can as you can do the plan for longer if you want, she explains in the book) while doing Couch to 5k and lost 1.5 stone in 3 months, then another 1.5 stone the 3 months after as I had learned about nutrition and was running three times a week.

I've not got her new book but it's all about weightlifting and it does look great. She's a qualified PT and knows what she is talking about. She's the first person who has ever made a weight loss plan stick for me (I'm still maintaining my weight two years on) so would recommend her if you want to get into strength training

I've had all 3 books, doing the third atm and can highly recommend

Reactions: 1
I like doing Lucy Wyndham read on YouTube. I’ve been doing her work outs for about 4 years. I’ve lost my mojo at the mo so tryin to get back to it. Did a 5 min leg workout today so gonna stick to that this week and start back running. I’ve download the couch25k app so gonna start that. I’ve ran before but I struggle. Did a 10k last year !
i Always Do Zumba once A week andI plan new routines in the week.

Ah amazing!! I start week three tonight. Im having to see a physio tomorrow as im getting such bad pain in my lower legs. Hope I can continue as I am actually enjoying it. I never ever ever thought I would as I have always absolutely HATED running!

Just realised I sounded a bit patronising in my last comment, sorry. I totally get your anxiety about going back into the gym. Im trying to build myself up to go back to a HIIT class I used to do. I went weekly but stopped and know I would definitely be the most unfit of the group.
Oh no didn’t come across that way at all. Sort of seemed like I was biting back.
Go to your Hiit class. Just do what you can. I think we talk ourselves out of it too much.

I've had all 3 books, doing the third atm and can highly recommend
will have a look online for these. Thanks.

Hi all,

Had a wee look and couldn’t see what I wanted (lots of body coach came up and that is definitely not what I want 🙄)

I was looking for recommendations for home workout YouTube videos. Stuff for beginners and fairly quick to do, two kids to fit around.

Quite like the idea of pilates, yoga, HIIT and maybe some weight stuff.

🧘‍♀️ 🏋🏻‍♀️ 😅

Hi all,

Had a wee look and couldn’t see what I wanted (lots of body coach came up and that is definitely not what I want 🙄)

I was looking for recommendations for home workout YouTube videos. Stuff for beginners and fairly quick to do, two kids to fit around.

🧘‍♀️ 🏋🏻‍♀️ 😅
Thanks for moving this here. I would like to say I’m not looking to loose weight. I would just like to tone up and actually do some exercise to hopefully feel a bit better.
Love the idea of running just now sure I can quite bring myself to go and do it quite yet 😬

Last edited:
popsugar have some good workouts on YouTube and a great variety too. I also really like Mr and Mrs Muscle on YouTube

Hi all,

🧘‍♀️ 🏋🏻‍♀️ 😅

Thanks for moving this here. I would like to say I’m not looking to loose weight. I would just like to tone up and actually do some exercise to hopefully feel a bit better.
Love the idea of running just now sure I can quite bring myself to go and do it quite yet 😬
I downloaded the Nike training club app. It’s ace. It has individual workouts or it pulls them into programs. I’ve done a few and like them all.
It’s free too.

Hi all,

🧘‍♀️ 🏋🏻‍♀️ 😅

https://www.fitnessblender.com have all of that!! They have individual workout videos, which you can filter by length, type, intensity, low impact etc or they do programmes which are about $15 and they are yours for ever. The workouts are about 40 mins x5 a week. X