Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Mrs Fluff

VIP Member

More stuff rumbling on....
If they can't keep the peace (Eurovision, much like what we nowadays refer to the EU was created as a reaction to WW2 and war in Europe), then I think it can't last too much longer. As a lecturer of mine used to say, we're living through history every day.

Reactions: 11

CovergirlD

VIP Member
Graham has said some controversial stuff (terry much worse but I couldn’t stand his commentary it wasn’t even funny just purely cynical- but that was also a different time). Basically telling your audience NOT to vote for certain countries because of their political beliefs literally goes against what the competition claims to be about ???!!! To me the EBU cannot allow Israel to do that. To call some of the contestants Hamas supporters before they perform? No way.

Reactions: 10
I'm glad France is getting some love. I thought the part where he stood back from the mic and just sang on his own was absolutely stunning.

Sometimes the simple stuff (much like when Duncan Lawrence won) really stands out and is very impactful.

Normally I don't tend to enjoy the standard French ballad that they like to send but they knocked it out of the park this time.
France was the one song that I think was genuinely a good song not just a good Eurovision song. The same way I felt about Sam Ryder and Spaceman.

Don’t get me wrong, I love a good Eurovision song personally but I don’t think they have the same broad appeal as stuff like this year’s French entry hence the reflection in what trends on TikTok etc.

kachoochoo

VIP Member
malin was out of her depth, petra did her best, but was clearly over it

they did the best job they could with the shitshow they were given

it's just been so stressful all round, the ebu need to get shit sorted next year

katyazamo

Chatty Member
See I thought that was one of the best songs of the night. Complete banger and deserved to do so much better . It's top ten on UK iTunes chart
Really liked it too and it was a great closing song. I wonder if she got lost amongst all the other solo female artists, although she was one of the standouts for me.

Mark81

VIP Member
TBH I do think Olly was always a bit “Emperor’s new clothes”. I never liked the way the founding members / songwriters of Years and Years were ditched so he could launch it as a solo project. It left a really bad taste for me, because those guys really were talented. I suppose it was the record company that pushed it, I guess those lads didn’t fit the “image”, being a bit geeky and all, but when they ditched them, the song quality dropped off a cliff.
And then when Olly rushed to the papers immediately after Sam Ryder very nearly won, to complain about how he (Olly) hadn’t been in the running for Eurovision. As if he would have won it, unlike sad failure Sam, or something. I thought at the time, really? - you’re choosing to do this now, like a spoilt brat at a party when another kid is getting more attention?
Then all the crowing about how he’d do the “gayest ever” Eurovision, as if this would mean he’d romp home with the trophy. He really did have high expectations of how he would do in the competition. Only to stage some grotty outdated cottaging scenario, with a feeble song, sung badly, and with staging that just didn’t have impact.
I’ve watched it back a few times, and it really was terrible. Borderline unwatchable. I know people who like him will say he didn’t deserve the nil public vote, but honestly, having watched all the acts, he was not better than anyone else.

I agree, same with his acting. He basically played himself in It's A Sin, and pretty much everyone else outdid him. I think he is mostly hype and PR with very little substance

Oh well there goes my sympathy for him. Nothing complicated about what's happening in Gaza, no two sides to a Genocide I'm afraid. Cry my a river Olly. The atrocities that occurred last night while this show was on and we are expected to feel sorry for these privileged pricks??
I mean two things can be true at once. Most normal humans are capable of realising you can feel terrible about what happens in Gaza while also having sympathy for someone facing a deluge of harassment and abuse. Just like you can appreciate someone with cancer is worse off but also appreciate someone with flu probably feels like utter shit. A point that seems to be lost on many on the pro-Palestine side - perhaps why the other genocides are ignored. 🤷‍♀️

Merpedy

VIP Member
Worth noting that the Dutch delegation had an agreement that he would not be filmed in that area beforehand and the photographer allegedly had previous instances of overstepping that boundary with him

But obviously who cares about the artists’ privacy or circumstances 🤭

I will say it’s also amusing that many people who have given negative opinions of the situation have given positive opinions of another delegation 🤐
---

I will say it’s sort of ironic because Ukraine was allowed to make a political comment with the keys and, one could argue, with the LED screens

Also sort of makes it impressive that they may have realised the differences in treatment going on

Last edited:

CovergirlD

VIP Member
Was he? 😁 I must have missed that.
I don't remember hearing the song being promoted much before the show. I only heard it because I searched for it on YouTube.
Ye it was a big deal when he was announced last year hahahahahahaha. But ye I do think the Israel/Palestine thing really put a holt on promotion so they only started to a couple of weeks ago. The whole contest has been so weird although contrary to what a poster just said I thought it was one of the strongest years musically ( I started listening to the tracks in March so I’ve had more time to digest them tho!!). What I am most curious about is what learnings the EBU would have taken from the chaos this year and how will they implement them next year to ensure it is better.

Humphrey Rudge

Chatty Member
I like the songs themselves.... its interesting to see a wide variety of different styles and nationalities,

But they need to redefine or clarify rules about staging... it should surely be about the song... not about the dancers or peculiar set. What on earth was Loreens performance last night about?

and the voting...stinks..... Olly didnt deserve nul points from the televote. And how on earth did the israeli performance score so highly alongside the Ukraine in the televote? Was Ukraine one of the favourites to win last night? Or was that just a popularity vote?

It seems faintly strange that so much of the European televote is so supportive of Israel ...... following on from the UKraine sympathy vote, it makes it sound as if Europe is as behind Israel in their battle in Gaza/Palestine, as they are behind The Ukraine in their battles against Russia. .If this is honestly the case why are there so many pro palestinan marches and demonstrations in the UK? And why are the EU so frustrated with the situation in Gaza?

The noisy minority are not reflective of the general public and the result across Europe reflects that.

Humphrey Rudge

Chatty Member
Also, why does “gay” have to mean writhing around half-dressed in a filthy toilet? That’s a pretty unpleasant, and outdated, stereotype IMO.
I assume he thought he was being edgy. He fully believed the public would lap that up but it had the opposite effect and was completely rejected by the public vote throughout Europe. It was an atrocious performance in both the semi and the final.

I thought that was a real disadvantage to the acts towards the end, and all it was was a cash grab by the EBU. It didn't speed up the voting process in any way it just lined their pockets by giving people longer to vote.
While I’m happy enough with the voting system I do wish they’d speed up announcing the jury votes, that seemed to go on forever this year particularly 😂 there’s got to be a quicker way to do it while still having some drama.

Grifty Mc

VIP Member
I wish they would make a rule of not dragging out giving the numbers.
I actually miss the old Eurovision and you don’t get to hear anyone getting nil points.
---
Switzerland's first win since 1988 when Celine Dion won it by 1 point.
Sorry but I appear to have completely missed this, Celine was in Eurovision? 👀
---
I remember thinking Estonia's song was really catchy, and a favourite so far, though I can't remember it now as it was so early in the night. The dance was great too. Shame they didn't place higher!
Yeah, I’m gutted about Estonia. Their song was brilliant and I loved the silly video someone posted yesterday of them nicking the stuff for a laugh. They deserved much better.

Last edited: