Eurovision Song Contest 2022 #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
the bbc reporting on this feels like a top secret leak
TBH I think they expressed an interest as soon as Ukraine won, knowing that it may be an issue. Glasgow is home to BBC Scotland and Manchester has the Media city in Salford so they would always going to be in contention.

Reactions: 3
Unlikely to happen

I honestly think the problem would probably be more with the tourism/accessibility side of things? Obviously a lot can happen between now and next year, but if this continues as it's been going I doubt that people are going to easily get to Ukraine* or book hotels just because Eurovision is on

*as I'd understand from some Googling Ukrainian airspace is closed at the moment - would we require special visas for all those Eurovision fans... because obviously you can't suddenly open the airspace for everyone?
I would say it's very likely to happen. Homophobic Ukraine hating Putin would see it as a double hit to take out such a huge event attending by thousands of homosexuals. At the very least he'd take out the building weeks or months in advance to turn it to rubble. I am surprised Ukraine want to waste money hosting it in a war zone. If we were in their situation I would be annoyed with our government wanting to waste cash that could be spent on the war on a music event.

Reactions: 1
Boris is back from Ukraine and believes they can host the contest 🤡

while I agree they should host it if they can, him saying "its going to be fine" is wildly optimistic, that said if ukraine wants to hostit surely they should be allowed to?

Reactions: 2
while I agree they should host it if they can, him saying "its going to be fine" is wildly optimistic, that said if ukraine wants to hostit surely they should be allowed to?
If Boris says 'it's going to fine' lets assume that it isn't :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 5
If Boris said that Ukraine can't host it would look really bad. No one really wants to say it because it's implying that the war is going to continue or get worse

RE the whole Russia bombing the venue thing, I'm still doubtful as that would very directly show that they're targeting civilian structures which is against international law. Not that Russia really cares a whole lot, but at the moment they can hide behind hits on civilian structures being accidental/a result of war. Plus, it would mess up with their delusional excuse of whatever it is, something about them not being the aggressor?

If Boris said that Ukraine can't host it would look really bad. No one really wants to say it because it's implying that the war is going to continue or get worse

RE the whole Russia bombing the venue thing, I'm still doubtful as that would very directly show that they're targeting civilian structures which is against international law. Not that Russia really cares a whole lot, but at the moment they can hide behind hits on civilian structures being accidental/a result of war. Plus, it would mess up with their delusional excuse of whatever it is, something about them not being the aggressor?
At this point I have no idea what Russia would do, one MP there mentioned attacking Germany the other day so..?
I think as things stand this is still going on way longer than was thought, so (less than) a year away is not too far, especially as these things take time to prepare, people need ot buy tickets/book flights etc, Much as I would love to go to Ukraine to see it there is no way realistically I would consider booking anything now

Apart from the security issues it would be total mixed messages holding the contest in Ukraine - on one hand govts are advising people not to travel there and are accepting refugees from all parts of Ukraine. But to then hold a song contest giving the message that it's ok for fans, press, artists, technicians etc to travel there? Doesn't stack up.

I get that the war could be over in a year, but we don't know that. A decision needed to be made soon on the host country, it couldn't be let drag on over the summer waiting to see if the war would end.

This was the right decision and whatever about Ukraine being bitter and angry, they need to accept that there are more important things than hosting a song contest. They're sure to win again in our lifetimes anyway,with their great track record of results.

Ukraine should certainly be acknowledged in some way at the contest next year BUT i also feel that if the BBC are stumping up the bill to organise, they deserve creative control and should not be pressurised into having a Ukrainian host, logo etc. Ukraine doesn't have an automatic right to that. Give them a slot at the interval or opening, and maybe in the semi final have a Ukrainian act, and have a clip from Kalush wishing good luck or something. That's enough. May sound harsh but I don't think Ukraine winning gives them an entitlement to creative control, if another country is hosting.

Last edited:
At this point I have no idea what Russia would do, one MP there mentioned attacking Germany the other day so..?
The MPs have been going a bit haywire lately, slightly more so than at the beginning. There's been talk of not recognising former USSR countries' independence because of some weird constitutional reasons too. Political threats don't mean direct action, especially when they're still having some struggles in Ukraine

I think the planning part of it for the audience is probably the main thing the EBU is working on. If the situation doesn't improve but half of Ukraine continues to remain relatively safe, Governments won't exactly recommend their citizens travelling and the airspace would need to be opened or you'd have even more people crossing land borders
Also, there could be issues with broadcasters disagreeing with a decision to host there too because they need to get their props across the borders, then their artists and whole delegations, presumably press (though that could be done online fairly easily) or at least commentators too

The MPs have been going a bit haywire lately, slightly more so than at the beginning. There's been talk of not recognising former USSR countries' independence because of some weird constitutional reasons too. Political threats don't mean direct action, especially when they're still having some struggles in Ukraine

I think the planning part of it for the audience is probably the main thing the EBU is working on. If the situation doesn't improve but half of Ukraine continues to remain relatively safe, Governments won't exactly recommend their citizens travelling and the airspace would need to be opened or you'd have even more people crossing land borders
Also, there could be issues with broadcasters disagreeing with a decision to host there too because they need to get their props across the borders, then their artists and whole delegations, presumably press (though that could be done online fairly easily) or at least commentators too
It's all too high risk. Unacceptable risks in my opinion. The most responsible thing to do is to let another country have a crack at it, much as it may upset Ukrainian broadcaster. That's life.

Don't get me started on Boris.

He needs to butt out. It's not helpful and having high level politicians get involved will only make it worse.

It's the EBU's decision at the end of the day and everybody needs to be more pragmatic about it.

Reactions: 4
Don't get me started on Boris.

He needs to butt out. It's not helpful and having high level politicians get involved will only make it worse.

It's the EBU's decision at the end of the day and everybody needs to be more pragmatic about it.
Exactly. You have to err on the side of caution when organising an event of this size. Pursuing the Ukraine option would have been an unacceptable risk for all involved.

Boris can do and say what he wants really as he knows damn well he doesn’t have to make the final decision. The EBU will continue with the BBC and if they say no they will go to another broadcaster such as Sweden or Spain (if they want to reconsider). Boris still looks good being Ukraine’s cheerleader without making any decisions that will upset anyone.

Boris can do and say what he wants really as he knows damn well he doesn’t have to make the final decision. The EBU will continue with the BBC and if they say no then will go to another broadcaster such as Sweden or Spain (if they want to reconsider). Boris still looks good being their cheerleader without making any decisions that will upset them.
And then dumb as duck Nadine Dorries will use it all as another excuse to slag of the BBC if they host over Ukraine. Because she is just anti-Britain and anti British culture.

Boris can do and say what he wants really as he knows damn well he doesn’t have to make the final decision.
This is true. First and foremost, let's hope the war will end before next Euro song conest. UK has nice venues for this competition, but so have other countries. I am trying to come up with some conclusion what would ne fair. Neutral. Like for instance how multiple countries could participate in the organisation. That would be a nice message, eh?

This is true. First and foremost, let's hope the war will end before next Euro song conest. UK has nice venues for this competition, but so have other countries. I am trying to come up with some conclusion what would ne fair. Neutral. Like for instance how multiple countries could participate in the organisation. That would be a nice message, eh?
I saw Brussels want to put in a rival bid so it’s held at a neutral location as “capital of the EU”.

Can it be a not political capital of Europe? No offence to Brussels. Amazing place! I love it.

Maybe something actually connected to the music.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.