End of relationship thread

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
As misery loves company I thought others might like to share their woes. Or advice. Or even consoling words. I'll go first and will try not to make it too much of an essay.

I'm 50, single for most of my life. Have 2 grown up children as a result of a couple of bad relationships, one of which was physically and emotionally abusive. After those ended, met someone else who was unhappily married/separating but when push came to shove his feelings for me weren't strong enough and he went back to his wife. I was then single for 5 years, went on 100s of dates, got rejected time and again, felt like my self esteem was ebbing away. And then just as I was about to give up I met 'the one'. He was basically 90% or more of all the things I ever wanted in a partner - funny, intelligent, great conversationalist, had a similar sense of humour and cynical view of the world to me. Self sufficient (better cook than me), tall, handsome, broad shouldered (built like a prop forward), and best of all he liked me exactly as I was. He thought everything about me was great. I thought this was it. And for 5 years it was.

3 years ago we split up, because he was unhappy and basically suggested an open relationship. After we split up I found out that he'd been shagging some grotbag he met on a no strings sex site. She contacted me and gave me chapter and verse about her shagging 100s of blokes including him and going to sex clubs and wanting him to go with her. She made out that I was boring and dull and that any man would rather her swinging lifestyle than be with me and ended up harassing us both to the point I had to threaten her with the police. Despite all this, we did eventually get back together, after he ended it with her. I loved him, I thought he was going through a midlife crisis, and he sort of admitted as much. His mum then became terminally ill, and that was another thing that pushed us back together. And then it was mostly fine, not perfect but still great. I loved him and he was my best friend.

And then 2 months ago we had a row (we rarely rowed as we used to agree on most things, we've probably had less than 10 rows in 8 years). And he said 'oh Grotbags said you'd say that'. And then it came out they'd been in contact for 6 months. Even though she harassed us, was bleeping vile to me, and similar to him, while his mum was dying. He said she was his friend and she has a partner now, but the way she had behaved previously I said showed she was no friend to him. And I ended it. He shouted, told me I was being crazy, turning it all on him etc.

I left and I've not heard from him since other than to collect his stuff (I left it in the porch and didn't see him) We didn't live together which makes it easier, but still I'm just so sad that its over. I know I made the right decision but I miss him so much. I try to keep busy but he was of course a huge part of my life. The rest of our lives was planned out and he threw it all away and for what? What was the point? Thanks to some social media stalking I know he' not with her, she's still with her partner. So what was it all for? To get his ego massaged? I told him every day that I loved him, how handsome he was. I complimented him all the time. Yet that wasn't enough.

And now I just miss him so much, I don't have any family other than my kids, I have some friends but we're not close and they're all in relationships. A few of them have been pretty clear they don't have time for me, which is why I find myself baring my soul on here!

I know time will help and it is getting better, I don't cry every time I think about it all now. But the thought of doing the whole dating thing again fills me with horror, but then being on my own for the rest of my life doesn't appeal either. People keep telling me he'll contact me again, try and get back together, I don't think he will but even if he does I can't forgive this, not again.

Sorry for the essay TLDR: we broke up after 8 years and I'm sad.

• Heart
  • Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
As misery loves company I thought others might like to share their woes. Or advice. Or even consoling words. I'll go first and will try not to make it too much of an essay.

I'm 50, single for most of my life. Have 2 grown up children as a result of a couple of bad relationships, one of which was physically and emotionally abusive. After those ended, met someone else who was unhappily married/separating but when push came to shove his feelings for me weren't strong enough and he went back to his wife. I was then single for 5 years, went on 100s of dates, got rejected time and again, felt like my self esteem was ebbing away. And then just as I was about to give up I met 'the one'. He was basically 90% or more of all the things I ever wanted in a partner - funny, intelligent, great conversationalist, had a similar sense of humour and cynical view of the world to me. Self sufficient (better cook than me), tall, handsome, broad shouldered (built like a prop forward), and best of all he liked me exactly as I was. He thought everything about me was great. I thought this was it. And for 5 years it was.

3 years ago we split up, because he was unhappy and basically suggested an open relationship. After we split up I found out that he'd been shagging some grotbag he met on a no strings sex site. She contacted me and gave me chapter and verse about her shagging 100s of blokes including him and going to sex clubs and wanting him to go with her. She made out that I was boring and dull and that any man would rather her swinging lifestyle than be with me and ended up harassing us both to the point I had to threaten her with the police. Despite all this, we did eventually get back together, after he ended it with her. I loved him, I thought he was going through a midlife crisis, and he sort of admitted as much. His mum then became terminally ill, and that was another thing that pushed us back together. And then it was mostly fine, not perfect but still great. I loved him and he was my best friend.

And then 2 months ago we had a row (we rarely rowed as we used to agree on most things, we've probably had less than 10 rows in 8 years). And he said 'oh Grotbags said you'd say that'. And then it came out they'd been in contact for 6 months. Even though she harassed us, was bleeping vile to me, and similar to him, while his mum was dying. He said she was his friend and she has a partner now, but the way she had behaved previously I said showed she was no friend to him. And I ended it. He shouted, told me I was being crazy, turning it all on him etc.

I left and I've not heard from him since other than to collect his stuff (I left it in the porch and didn't see him) We didn't live together which makes it easier, but still I'm just so sad that its over. I know I made the right decision but I miss him so much. I try to keep busy but he was of course a huge part of my life. The rest of our lives was planned out and he threw it all away and for what? What was the point? Thanks to some social media stalking I know he' not with her, she's still with her partner. So what was it all for? To get his ego massaged? I told him every day that I loved him, how handsome he was. I complimented him all the time. Yet that wasn't enough.

And now I just miss him so much, I don't have any family other than my kids, I have some friends but we're not close and they're all in relationships. A few of them have been pretty clear they don't have time for me, which is why I find myself baring my soul on here!

I know time will help and it is getting better, I don't cry every time I think about it all now. But the thought of doing the whole dating thing again fills me with horror, but then being on my own for the rest of my life doesn't appeal either. People keep telling me he'll contact me again, try and get back together, I don't think he will but even if he does I can't forgive this, not again.

Sorry for the essay TLDR: we broke up after 8 years and I'm sad.
He wasn’t the guy for you. He broke your trust more than once, showing a complete lack of respect for you and the relationship you had together. During a row he then threw back in your face this other woman knowing full well how that would effect you - then to find out he’s been sniffing around her AGAIN for 6 months…… the guy is a total prick.

Block him, her and EVERYONE connected to them both - her partner etc - stop looking them up on social media. You have to draw a line under it all now, stop looking for ways to justify his behaviour - it’s nothing to do with what you did or didn’t do, this guy was a dirty bastard who basically wanted to have his cake and eat it.

That’s in the past now. You need to move on. So, start thinking about YOU! What do you want to do? Start building a life for you. Take up hobbies, go travelling, reconnect with old friends, learn to enjoy your own company and find happiness again yourself and then start to explore dating again. You are only 50, that’s still relatively young so just enjoy being a single woman again for a while and see what happens but do not - DO NOT - even entertain the notion of ever getting back together with him. He’s shown you his true colours - take heed.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
@Lalla - feeling sad is normal, as is grieving this relationship. What I hope you’ll realise given some time and space from him is that certainly for the last few years he’s not treated you with love or respect. And his behaviour will have been wearing you down and making you feel worth far less than you are which is probably why you were putting up with it.

Sometimes it takes something to act as a final straw to finally give us permission to end something we’re clinging onto because we were hoping it would get better, or scared to be on our own, or we just hadn’t realised how bad it had got because it was a slow drip of carelessness and negativity that we just absorbed like a sponge.

You’ll need to hold on to some of the anger you’ve felt towards him to help you in times of weakness - just remember he not only cheated with the swinger woman who abused you, he then decided to reach out to her behind your back and become ‘friends’ with her!

I wouldn’t recommend getting out there dating until you’re feeling a lot more resilient, it can be utterly brutal - as the dating threads here can testify - and you don’t need to invite that in right now. I hope in time you’ll meet someone who makes you happy.

Reactions: 7
Thank you both ❤ Our relationship wasn't perfect, in retrospect there were issues that I ignored because I really did love him, I was so bleeping happy to have found the first person in my life who loved me for me. I lost my parents when I was in my early 20s (I'm also an only child, grandparents died when I was a kid) and after that I just felt so completely alone, having my children helped a lot, but really when I met him 8 years ago it was the first time in nearly 20 years I felt I had someone who cared about me, cared for me. And accepting he's thrown all that away is so hard I think because I don't understand why.

Even when we split up he was basically saying he didn't get why I was over reacting, that I wouldn't meet anyone better etc (not in the same way as my abusive Ex did who said I wouldn't meet anyone because I was fat and ugly, this Ex was saying it because he believes he is better than any man out there, also because he knows my history). Men don't like me for some reason (when I was at uni there was a joke among my male friends that I was 'too good' to date, they used to say I was marriage rather than dating material. So no one dated me. Then then when I did online dating - which I agree is brutal - I was told repeatedly that I wasn't girlfriend material, I never got to a 2nd date with all but 3 of the hundreds of men I went on dates with, because they all expected sex on date 1 and whether they got it or not they never contacted me again) and don't respect me. But then in behaving as he did he showed he didn't respect me either, so there we are 😔

I try to think about what I want to do, what I want my future to look like and it's so hard to picture it without him. I'm proud that I haven't gone back to him, haven't backed down. It would have been easy to do, he didn't want to break up (he said) but I couldn't ignore what he said, or pretend it was ok. I knew that was no way to live. I'd spent 3 years thinking at some point she'd pop up again, and she did. She'd sent him messages for months. He sent me screenshots, I think to prove his innocence, but all it proved was how long she'd spent chasing him, and then that the first time he replied was after a minor disagreement we had at Christmas, literally straight after. Arse.

I think of my dad, who I adored. He had many faults but he really loved my mum, and me. And I know he would have thought my Ex's behaviour was disgusting. And then I know I've done the right thing, because my dad wouldn't want me to have put up with that tit. His most frequent advice to me was 'never let someone get one over on you'. So I know he'd want me to stand firm, however emotionally painful it is.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
Your relationship sounds far from perfect and honestly he just sounds like a complete wanker.

I know it’s a part of it, but this “other woman” isn’t the problem. It’s easy to day this that and the other about her but at the end of the day, you were in a relationship with him and he’s the one who’s fucked it up. Forget about her.

For now, just take a breather. Enjoy the summer - go see your kids, take day trips, go on holiday. Whatever. Just find your own peace. Turn the page and welcome in the new chapter.

Reactions: 7
I think she's vile but ultimately she is irrelevant, I completely agree this is down to him and him alone.

I only mentioned the messages because of the fact he only responded not because she'd kept messaging, but because he'd had a minor disagreement with me, basically the first time I was anything other than the perfect partner (despite him being less than a perfect partner many times!). It's absolutely all on him. But why do it? Why mention it? Why on earth could he not value what we had, I don't think I'll ever know. Countless times he said he was so thankful to have met me. But when it came down to it, he wasn't. He didn't value it or me.

I'm going to see a friend in another part of the UK in a few weeks, and on holiday with my kids at some point. That's a couple of things to keep me busy and look forward to at least. Day to day I have work, it's the weekends that drag because we'd usually be together.

Reactions: 2
I’m sorry to hear what you’ve been through. What I read is that you feel lonely and that there is something ‘wrong’ with you that makes you unloved/unloveable.

I don’t know you, but I know that’s not the case. You are loveable and worthy of love, just by being alive, being you.

My suggestion for you is to work on dismantling those types of stories (easier said than done sometimes, I know), and, as others have said, focus on you. Try different things, figure out what you like, what you want more or less of. I think that will take you a long way.

It sounds like, somewhere along the line, you’ve learned not to “need” anything, but we all have needs. Start the work of finding out what they are. Spoiler alert - it’s not your ex.

Good luck. Heartbreak & starting over are tough. You’re doing well 😘

Reactions: 3
I'm so sorry you are going through this. Have you ever considered counselling? I found counselling really helped me understand why I kept ending up with people who were wrong for me. Its not about blaming yourself its more about understanding yourself more. And like another poster said, possibly dismantling some of these views you've held onto for years about yourself. I think you've had some great advice here. I hope you start to feel better when put the focus on you. And what you want and enjoy. I know its easier said than done.

You can still miss and love someone but know that they weren't right for you

It's not so much I think I'm unloveable, I don't. I actually have a good (too good in some people's view) opinion of myself, and that I have a lot to offer in a relationship. However men rarely think so, and I've never really understood why. My ex (who has never been single for more than 6 months since he was 15) assumed that I'd been single for so long because I was super fussy, turning loads of men down and I wasn't at all, I rarely got any interest, and any interest I did get was limited to one off sex not any kind of relationship! I can't blame online dating because it's been like this since I was in my early 20s (back before OD was even a thing)...and before that I got no interest from men full stop. It's why meeting my Ex was such a big deal because he was all the things I wanted and he felt the same way about me.

I think part of the reason is that men make assumptions about me which are incorrect. Based on how I look and sound (brought up in Essex/ East London) it's often assumed I'm a bit thick, but I've got a law degree and do a senior professional job. Men who do my sort of job don't look twice at me. Which is fine because I've never cared about what job a person does, intelligence comes in many forms (my Ex is far cleverer than me in many ways, but left school at 16 and is self taught in his field). It only matters to me that a man can hold a decent conversation and not be intimidated by me or accuse me of intellectually bullying them (my son's dad used to say I used long words to make him feel stupid). I'm not a snob about what someone does, or earns, or what degree they have. And it still never did me any good.

I tried counselling a few years ago and I really didn't like it. The counsellor talked to me about my childhood and I think wanted me to say there was something bad in it that led me to subsequent abusive relationship and 'issues' with men. But honestly I had a brilliant childhood, we had little money but my parents always did their best for me. Ours was a happy home. I was quite closeted from life until I was 18, but once I went away to uni I could do whatever I wanted (and did). I just found the whole counselling set up,sitting in a chair opposite someone quite uncomfortable. My company apparently have phone counselling as part of our healthcare package, so I think I might explore that.

I do appreciate all the replies, thank you. It helps because I don't really have anyone to talk to.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Maybe the therapist you had wasn’t right for you? Sadly it’s a bit of luck finding the right one. I hope you get through this because it’s better being alone than being with someone who betrays your trust. Sure the highs are high but the lows feel far worse than being on your own. That way you can open up and meet someone. Loads of people struggle finding partners or someone that’s right for them. So don’t settle for less because you think this is love. It isn’t. My brother is going through something where his ex was totally crazy and he’s glad to be rid of her. But still misses her. I find it baffling. I understand it to a degree but I do wonder why his confidence isn’t greater than that. All the best and like another poster suggested: actively try and find stuff to do, there is online dating site. But also online friendship groups? Hobbies? Traveling etc. Which in the end is far more satisfying than feeling like a doormat.

I did honestly love my ex partner, being with him was one of the happiest points in my life. However I was absolutely devastated when I found out he'd cheated on me. Getting back together after that was a big thing for me to do, I wasn't sure if I could trust him again. One thing I did say to myself was that I couldn't let it happen again - that if something else happened we would be done. And even though what he did this time wasn't exactly cheating, it was still a betrayal and I couldn't ignore it, or wait for something worse to happen.

It upsets me so much because we had a perfect bloody future ahead, the next section of our lives was going to be amazing, buying a house in the countryside, semi retiring...and he literally blew all of that to pieces. It's hard to let go of that future we had planned.

I get why people stay, it's easier than rocking the boat. No relationship is bad all the time and even the mediocre times I had with my Ex were better than the best times before him. But some things you can't forgive and that's why I'm sat at home now on my own rather than being out somewhere with him.

I'm going to contact this work counselling service this week. See if they can help me to deal with it all.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I thought I'd just say that I understand your loneliness, and although we're 'taught' to 'search' for someone else to 'complete us' it doesn't always pan out that way, or life throws you in a different direction.
It's much better to be alone than in a toxic mess of a relationship - I'm sure like many of us, you know of lots of people in those, plus the ones that have 'settled'. No doubt your ex will come to regret his decision and treatment of you in the future.

I think perhaps you've been harsh on yourself and taking other's 'views' of you on board (men won't date you etc.) I'd like to believe there are people out there for everyone. People's views of you are not your problem. It's apparent that you're eloquent from your messages.

Therapy isn't for everyone. I have never found a great therapist. I have had a lot of trauma in life but many of the therapists I've seen are fairly irrational and imbalanced if I'm honest. Then I realise, 'ah I'm not doing so bad'! Ha!

Reactions: 1
Thank you :) I always knew there was someone out there for me, never settled (I could have stayed in past crappy relationships but I didn't because I believed there was something better out there, someone who was the things I wanted and vice versa). When I met my Ex at 41 I genuinely thought I'd found exactly what I'd been looking for pretty much since I was 18, without success.

I don't believe in soul mates or anything, but what I can say is that there seem to be very few men who are what I'm looking for, and even fewer of them who are also interested in me - well, 1 in 23 years to be precise! I don't want to settle in future, but waiting til I'm 73 to meet someone else doesn't sound great.

I can be on my own, I've been on my own more or less since I was in my 20s and my parents died. I just don't like it. I never lived with my Ex, I don't have to have someone there all the time but being in a (good) relationship is when I'm at my happiest.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Going through a similar situation myself (just posted my own thread before finding this one) and it's the pits. I'm so sorry. I'm trying to take it one day at a time.