Emetophobia - any fellow sufferers? What do you do to cope?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hey @Beatrix how are you? X
Hey @PennyPop - you're so kind to check on me, thank you. I hope I can repay the kindness to someone else one day.
I'm ok, still no bug and I'm eating again. Still anxiously washing my hands raw and disinfecting everything but doing better, I'll probably be at this mid-level anxiety for a week or so then it'll drop down. I haven't had the chance to look into CBT yet, I will once I'm feeling more stable.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Hey @PennyPop - you're so kind to check on me, thank you. I hope I can repay the kindness to someone else one day.
I'm ok, still no bug and I'm eating again. Still anxiously washing my hands raw and disinfecting everything but doing better, I'll probably be at this mid-level anxiety for a week or so then it'll drop down. I haven't had the chance to look into CBT yet, I will once I'm feeling more stable.
Not at all, I just wanted to make sure you were ok and I'm glad to hear you are! I understand, my anxiety remains high for a while too. But the level will drop and you will feel calmer, I hope that's soon! No, I would wait until you're in a better place in your head to look at the CBT, it's easy to get overwhelmed when you're in the midst of an anxiety high isn't it.

• Heart
Hi all, I have just discovered this thread and am looking for a bit of advice.

My partner and I are currently trying for our first baby and I’m so anxious about the prospect of morning sickness. I know it doesn’t happen to everyone but I think the unknown aspect makes my anxiety it even worse! I noticed many of you on this thread seem to have children - do you have any tips on how to navigate this part of pregnancy? My phobia is pretty much predominantly around myself being sick regardless of whether it’s a bug/hangover/pregnancy so the fact it wouldn’t be germ related wouldn’t really help me (if that makes sense).

I also wanted to share these which have really helped me over the years: https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/s...gin-gins-original-chewy-ginger-candy-60015211. They’re essentially just really chewy ginger sweets and 95% of the time they get rid of nauseous feelings for me and settle my stomach. They’re a bit overpowering if you eat them all in one go so I usually just bite off a small piece at a time and slowly chew/suck it. They may not help others and it may be purely psychological for me at this point but wanted to share just in case it helped anyone else! You can buy them in Holland and Barrett and on Amazon. I have them in literally every bag I own and on my bedside table!

And finally (sorry for rambling on!) just a thank you for this thread! It’s made me feel a lot less alone and I love how supportive everyone is of one another. I’ve just reached out to a few hypnotherapists in my area based on all of your advice x

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Hey @lauren1600, I'm glad you're here and I hope the thread helps you. I'm the same, my fear is me being ill too so I can sympathise. I have 2 children and both times I was so scared I would get morning sickness, but luckily I was only ever nauseous, never actually ill, thank goodness. I found I would feel sick anytime I was hungry, so cream crackers became my best friend, I carried them like you carry the ginger sweets and snacked on them all day - every day for the first 3 months! Thankfully for me, the nausea passed after the first trimester both times so hopefully you'll be lucky when you fall too.

This thread was started to create a support mechanism for suffers so please come back if you need help.
Good luck with the hypnotherapy, I can wholeheartedly recommend CBT as well. Maybe a chat with your GP would be helpful to discuss your worries and find out if there's any medication you could take for any sickness should you need it during pregnancy.

I know it's really hard, but please don't let this phobia dictate anything. Pregnancy is the most magical time so doing what you can to prepare, and prevent if need be, will help you enjoy all aspects of it. Sending love xxx

Thank you for such a lovely response @PennyPop, it’s made me feel quite emotional (in a nice way!) and reading your experience is really reassuring. The cracker tip is super helpful as well!

I have tried CBT previously for general anxiety which didn’t do much for me but I noticed you (or it may have been someone else) said something similar further up the thread so I will look into it again from an emetophobia angle. I’m so happy to see that you’re making progress with it.

Thanks again for the kind words xx

• Heart
Hi all, I have just discovered this thread and am looking for a bit of advice.

My partner and I are currently trying for our first baby and I’m so anxious about the prospect of morning sickness. I know it doesn’t happen to everyone but I think the unknown aspect makes my anxiety it even worse! I noticed many of you on this thread seem to have children - do you have any tips on how to navigate this part of pregnancy? My phobia is pretty much predominantly around myself being sick regardless of whether it’s a bug/hangover/pregnancy so the fact it wouldn’t be germ related wouldn’t really help me (if that makes sense).

I also wanted to share these which have really helped me over the years: https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/s...gin-gins-original-chewy-ginger-candy-60015211. They’re essentially just really chewy ginger sweets and 95% of the time they get rid of nauseous feelings for me and settle my stomach. They’re a bit overpowering if you eat them all in one go so I usually just bite off a small piece at a time and slowly chew/suck it. They may not help others and it may be purely psychological for me at this point but wanted to share just in case it helped anyone else! You can buy them in Holland and Barrett and on Amazon. I have them in literally every bag I own and on my bedside table!

And finally (sorry for rambling on!) just a thank you for this thread! It’s made me feel a lot less alone and I love how supportive everyone is of one another. I’ve just reached out to a few hypnotherapists in my area based on all of your advice x
I’ve been through 2 pregnancies and had very mild morning sickness both times until about 16 weeks - by ‘mild’ I mean quite a bit of nausea every evening (I didn’t feel too bad during the day, I found my nausea was worse when I was tired and had less distractions like work etc) and one episode of actual vomiting per pregnancy. Tbh I just used the techniques I’ve always used to manage nausea - distraction, breathing techniques, sucking on mints and ice lollies. I also found eating small amounts of whatever I was craving helped - with my son that was salt and vinegar crisps and with my daughter was cold grapes and apple slices - and sipping on ice cold fizzy drinks helped too.

Mentally the thoughts that helped me through the sicky stage of pregnancy was firstly that feeling so rough meant that everything was progressing well (I know that this unfortunately isn’t the case sometimes but it’s a thought that helped me), I also just constantly told myself that this stage will pass and I’ll be feeling better at some point.

When the time comes for you, if you find you’re really suffering with morning sickness I would advise definitely going to your GP - there are anti sickness medications which are safe to use during pregnancy so that’s an option you should definitely look into if you feel you need it.

Saying all that, you could be one of the lucky ladies who has no morning sickness at all - I know plenty of women who have sailed through pregnancies with barely even a hint of nausea! 😊

Good luck with your future pregnancy and try and remember that for most women, thankfully morning sickness is just a very small, inconvenient part of early pregnancy. There are so many lovely parts of pregnancy that I think outweigh the bad parts!

Reactions: 2
I’ve been through 2 pregnancies and had very mild morning sickness both times until about 16 weeks - by ‘mild’ I mean quite a bit of nausea every evening (I didn’t feel too bad during the day, I found my nausea was worse when I was tired and had less distractions like work etc) and one episode of actual vomiting per pregnancy. Tbh I just used the techniques I’ve always used to manage nausea - distraction, breathing techniques, sucking on mints and ice lollies. I also found eating small amounts of whatever I was craving helped - with my son that was salt and vinegar crisps and with my daughter was cold grapes and apple slices - and sipping on ice cold fizzy drinks helped too.

Mentally the thoughts that helped me through the sicky stage of pregnancy was firstly that feeling so rough meant that everything was progressing well (I know that this unfortunately isn’t the case sometimes but it’s a thought that helped me), I also just constantly told myself that this stage will pass and I’ll be feeling better at some point.

When the time comes for you, if you find you’re really suffering with morning sickness I would advise definitely going to your GP - there are anti sickness medications which are safe to use during pregnancy so that’s an option you should definitely look into if you feel you need it.

Saying all that, you could be one of the lucky ladies who has no morning sickness at all - I know plenty of women who have sailed through pregnancies with barely even a hint of nausea! 😊

Good luck with your future pregnancy and try and remember that for most women, thankfully morning sickness is just a very small, inconvenient part of early pregnancy. There are so many lovely parts of pregnancy that I think outweigh the bad parts!
Thank you so much @Izzyt88! Will definitely use some of these tips if it comes to it. I’m already feeling more positive and prepared after reading these responses, so glad I found this thread xx

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Can’t believe here I am again…..

Was up children’s A&E with my son on Friday all day. And my mum was with me for support. So many kids were being brought in with “sickness and diarrhoea” (which really annoyed me like WHY!!).

The waiting room was packed, boiling hot. And this morning my mum has started being sick with a bug.

do you think me and my son are ok? I feel a bit funny tummy but that’s just nerves I think.

@swimming oh, I completely understand. This is the reason I have always avoided hospitals and doctor's surgeries where possible. Of course you couldn't avoid it as you're a mum and your little boy comes first.

I wish I could tell you that you'll be fine because I know exactly how you'll be feeling right now. Try and do something that will occupy your mind, I find soduko or crosswords helpful, TikTok is a huge distraction for me as well!

I will keep everything crossed for you. I know it's so hard but just try not to think about it. Distraction works well for me so hopefully you can find something like that to help. I totally sympathise with you, you're not alone xxx

Can’t believe here I am again…..

Was up children’s A&E with my son on Friday all day. And my mum was with me for support. So many kids were being brought in with “sickness and diarrhoea” (which really annoyed me like WHY!!).

The waiting room was packed, boiling hot. And this morning my mum has started being sick with a bug.

do you think me and my son are ok? I feel a bit funny tummy but that’s just nerves I think.
I hope you're doing ok @swimming! I was in the same boat as you last month, the waiting is so difficult. I find listening to podcasts can help take my mind off it. ❤

Hope someone reads this.

I started with a tummy bug on Monday morning really bad (no vomiting just D), and I’m only now starting to feel better.

this morning my 2 year old begins projectile vomiting. It’s my first time ever dealing with this situation, and I’m on my own.

my biggest fear is I will catch it again. Can this happen so soon?
He was next to me on the sofa when he began being sick.

Hope someone reads this.

I started with a tummy bug on Monday morning really bad (no vomiting just D), and I’m only now starting to feel better.

this morning my 2 year old begins projectile vomiting. It’s my first time ever dealing with this situation, and I’m on my own.

my biggest fear is I will catch it again. Can this happen so soon?
He was next to me on the sofa when he began being sick.
Hi, I understand totally what you’re going though. I would assume that you’d be fine. I think sickness bugs usually go round like wildfire but they never continue to go around otherwise in some cases they’ll always be sick! I think you’ll be ok, just take more precautions with hand washing, bleaching etc.

Hi, I understand totally what you’re going though. I would assume that you’d be fine. I think sickness bugs usually go round like wildfire but they never continue to go around otherwise in some cases they’ll always be sick! I think you’ll be ok, just take more precautions with hand washing, bleaching etc.
Thanks for replying. I feel so lonely right now it’s petrified the life out of me.
If you have experience, how often (time apart) are toddlers vomiting with a bug? It’s been 2 hours since he projectile vomited and has been napping for 1 hour.

I feel so ridiculous but it’s so scary

My two have had bugs where they only vomited once or twice. My daughter once had one and it was every 2hrs on the dot for about 10hrs. I would say as you've had it you'll be OK just keep clean and hopefully that's the last of it

Thanks for replying. I feel so lonely right now it’s petrified the life out of me.
If you have experience, how often (time apart) are toddlers vomiting with a bug? It’s been 2 hours since he projectile vomited and has been napping for 1 hour.

I feel so ridiculous but it’s so scary
It’s hard to say as it’s always so different. Sometimes it’s been once then they’ve bounced back right as rain then half hour later they’re sick again & same happens for a few hours or they’ve just been sick once but then had a poorly tummy for a few days. My kids have never vomited over a period longer than 12 hours I would say.

It’s hard to say as it’s always so different. Sometimes it’s been once then they’ve bounced back right as rain then half hour later they’re sick again & same happens for a few hours or they’ve just been sick once but then had a poorly tummy for a few days. My kids have never vomited over a period longer than 12 hours I would say.
It’s awful isn’t it. It’s 4.5 hours since he vomited and he’s seeming ok. Not his usual 100% but not unwell. He’s eaten some dry toast and plain white bread 2 hours ago and kept it down. I can handle the bad nappies just not the sick.