Elopement

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Is there anyone here who eloped or had a very small ceremony? Just looking for experiences - did you feel pressured from others to change your plans, and have you ever regretted not having a more traditional wedding?

We didn’t elope but I really wish we had. My mother in law pushed and pushed for us to have the big wedding, and whilst it was lovely, I would have been just as happy on the beach somewhere, just the two of us.

Reactions: 1
We married abroad, just us. Generally everyone was pretty understanding, I think my husbands parents were a bit upset but they never made us feel bad about it. it really was a beautiful wedding and we’ve got some lovely pictures. Sometimes I kind of wish we’d had a more traditional day but in reality I think I’d have hated everyone looking at me and found it exhausting. Plus we spent the money we’d have spent on doing it here on a very extravagant long honeymoon and we felt that was a better use of the money (we went to a few countries) than spending it on one day in the same place. But everyone is different. Ultimately though I have no regrets and would do the same again!

• Heart
I had a small wedding - just us, our parents, siblings, and a best man (and partner) and a bridesmaid (who is my best friend and her partner). It was delightful. My partner has a huge family of cousins and loads of relatives and the thought of all those people there was too much to bear. I think it total there were 18 people (including us).

I have never regretted keeping it small for one moment! People couldn't be annoyed at us for keeping it so small either, it was our choice to have immediate family only (plus best man/bridesmaid and partners). We got married in a small castle(!) and had our reception in the holiday cottage we were staying in for our honeymoon, fancy party food from M&S, flowers grown by my mum and me, and my mum made my dress. Total cost of the day and honeymoon cottage came to under £5k.

We didn’t elope but I really wish we had. My mother in law pushed and pushed for us to have the big wedding, and whilst it was lovely, I would have been just as happy on the beach somewhere, just the two of us.
Same here. Our wedding wasn't the wedding we wanted because there was too much interference from both families. I would have happily eloped but my husband wouldn't.

My friend and her husband got married in Rome, just the two of them. They didn't elope as such, their families knew but the groom was the youngest of a big family, his mother had passed away and his father was in a nursing home. I'm not 100% sure of the situation but I don't think the bride has a relationship with her sisters.
They had a party/reception for everyone with finger food and a pig on a spit when they came back.

Last edited:
I had a small wedding - just us, our parents, siblings, and a best man (and partner) and a bridesmaid (who is my best friend and her partner). It was delightful. My partner has a huge family of cousins and loads of relatives and the thought of all those people there was too much to bear. I think it total there were 18 people (including us).

I have never regretted keeping it small for one moment! People couldn't be annoyed at us for keeping it so small either, it was our choice to have immediate family only (plus best man/bridesmaid and partners). We got married in a small castle(!) and had our reception in the holiday cottage we were staying in for our honeymoon, fancy party food from M&S, flowers grown by my mum and me, and my mum made my dress. Total cost of the day and honeymoon cottage came to under £5k.
That sounds perfect! That’s my wedding goals to be honest! I would possibly want to go even smaller if I could.

• Heart
We thought about getting married at gretna Green but we decided on our local registry office with just both sets of parents. When we went to look at Gretna Green we got asked to be witnesses for a couple who were eloping

Reactions: 2
My husband and I got married in Gretna Green. It was just the 2 of us and it was the best decision we could of made. They asked another couple to be our witnesses and they were due to get married the next day :D

My husband and I eloped. Got married in New York City hall. Had a random person as our witness. Best decision ever. So many people I know have said they wish they did what we did as planning their own wedding has been such a stress (not to mention expensive). I say go for it! Weddings have turned into almost a competition nowadays and I think it can take away the meaning of marriage (not in all cases obviously!) as people are only concerned about the wedding party itself.. if that makes sense?

Thank you for starting this thread! My partner brought up us eloping the other day, he hates being the centre of attention, I have a large family and we had our first child in December. We love greece so we’re thinking of getting married there on the beach and having a BBQ afterwards. Has anyone got married in Greece?