Eloping

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We’re considering eloping in the US. Originally wanted a big wedding, but I have a much smaller friendship group and family compared to my fiancé so I feel like our wedding would be 80% his side and 20% mine. I don’t see the point in spending c.10k on one day! We’ve considered either an elopement in NYC (it’s where we got engaged too so holds special memories) with a quick ceremony and hire a photographer for a few hours to get photos at the landmarks, or a fun boozy vegas wedding!

Reactions: 1
Another one here who eloped! Not abroad, just to the Cotswolds.. the most relaxed wedding I've ever attended (and I used to work at a wedding venue). Everything was chosen because it would suit us and there was no pressure or big cost, we were engaged in Jan and married in the March. Some people were a bit put out but got over it quickly.

Definitely do it, especially if you can combine it with a fab trip somewhere too 😊

Reactions: 3
I never dreamed of a wedding either and can completely relate to not wanting to be the center of attention. We got married at the City Hall in Manhattan, alone. No party after, just a stroll to Chinatown for lunch. No regrets 🥰
This is exactly what me and my partner are planning to do when we book our next trip to New York.

How easy was it to get married over there? Is there a lot to do?

It wasn't really an elopement for us. We are digital nomads and lived in Asia when we got engaged. We were thinking of a long engagement since we didn't look forward to a wedding but liked the idea of the memories of a wedding day, if that makes sense. Pre wedding shoots are really popular in Asia (you have a full day of wedding pictures being taken on gorgeous locations and dress/hair/makeup changes throughout the day are included, anything you desired). So we booked a package and it was the most loveliest and special day. It felt like a grand wedding but we didn't have to plan anything or do anything basically (and we for sure have the best wedding pictures now). Shortly after we returned to our home country to legally wed.

My mother expressed her deep wish (respectfully) to have at least something more special than a courthouse wedding. We had a gorgeous teeny tiny wedding in a nature reserve that we planned and executed in like 2-3 weeks. In hindsight I'm so glad we didn't go for the courthouse wedding after all. It felt really special to have our parents/siblings there to share the moment. It was hassle free just like we wanted. But I am very happy we had that private "wedding" day in Asia too.

• Heart
It wasn't really an elopement for us. We are digital nomads and lived in Asia when we got engaged. We were thinking of a long engagement since we didn't look forward to a wedding but liked the idea of the memories of a wedding day, if that makes sense. Pre wedding shoots are really popular in Asia (you have a full day of wedding pictures being taken on gorgeous locations and dress/hair/makeup changes throughout the day are included, anything you desired). So we booked a package and it was the most loveliest and special day. It felt like a grand wedding but we didn't have to plan anything or do anything basically (and we for sure have the best wedding pictures now). Shortly after we returned to our home country to legally wed.

My mother expressed her deep wish (respectfully) to have at least something more special than a courthouse wedding. We had a gorgeous teeny tiny wedding in a nature reserve that we planned and executed in like 2-3 weeks. In hindsight I'm so glad we didn't go for the courthouse wedding after all. It felt really special to have our parents/siblings there to share the moment. It was hassle free just like we wanted. But I am very happy we had that private "wedding" day in Asia too.
That sounds absolutely idyllic. Xx

• Heart
Reactions: 2
More convinced than ever that we will elope, especially after everything with covid. Not sure how travel will be but whenever we can go to California and it is "safe" we likely will. Definitely don't want to spend a lot of money on a wedding. I feel bad for people who had planned a wedding for this year and now it is cancelled.

• Heart
So I am reviving this thread with the whole Covid situation.

So I know that most 2020 weddings are being cancelled and this is going to sound really bizarre but the benefit of lockdown is people have stopped asking us when our wedding is going to be.

After posting this thread in January, I started looking into the company, Simply Eloped and the elopements they offer for California. We hadn't booked anything which I am glad about given what is going on right now.

But does it seem bad that as the lockdown for covid goes on, I feel more sure about eloping? My fiance and I were talking about how 2020 weddings are cancelled, and obviously 2021 weddings are booked, so now 2020 weddings are being squeezed into 2021 slots or 2022 slots and we think it would be hard to get a venue we like.

Anyway, just thought I would provide an update.
I’m glad you have revived this!

Been with my man for over 10 years. We’re not engaged; both go through periods of thinking we should get engaged. Have always been upfront with family that when /if we ever marry it will be us going away and coming back married. Just us with no fuss.

I’ve swinged back and forth about engagement for years, often saying things like “I wouldn’t want to get engaged until I lost weight”

In honesty this covid situation and some sudden non covid deaths recently has made us both definitely know we want elope as soon as we can. Regardless of weight or whatever thing in my head was holding me back... that means nothing!!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Yes, eloped to NYC a few years ago. It was wonderful and perfect, no regrets! And it’s legally recognised in the UK, you just need a few extra bits of official paperwork when you’re there but it’s all part of the adventure. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

You’ll know what’s right for you.
I really want to do this. Friend of mine did it and as someone else said Kate La Vie did it.
I’d rather do that and have a great honeymoon than fret about just one day.

Reactions: 6
Thank you so much for this thread. Reading everyone's experiences has helped me more than I can express in words. Thank you.

We did. Got married in Greece earlier this month. Just the 2 of us, it was perfect and I wouldn't have it any other way.