Elon Musk

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
How dare you? It did not go bang.
According to the “genius”, the rocket experienced a rapid unscheduled disassembly. So there.

On the gender thread we've been discussing Elon's latest tweet about "cis" and "cisgender" now being considered as slurs on Twitter:

I thought I'd carry on posting about it here as I didn't want to derail the gender thread, but also because I think it's an interesting discussion about how a platform that claims to be pro free speech may not actually be.

He's since clarified that it's only deemed as a slur if used as part of "repeated, targeted harrassment", which seems odd to me because I think if a word is a slur then it's unacceptable to use it regardless.

For example, we all accept "f****t" is a slur and that means none of the following sentences are acceptable: "John is a f****t", "You're a f****t", "I don't like f****ts", "why do f****ts need a pride month?" etc etc.

I've never heard anyone say it's fine to say f****t as long as you're not bullying and harrassing someone with it. The reason it's identified as a slur on a website for example is to show it's an ugly and unpleasant word and shouldn't be used in any way on said website.

I accept that "cis" can be used in a bullying way, but I also think it can be used as a descriptor. No dictionary identifies it as a slur. So I think when Elon chose to say Twitter now classes it as a slur, he's putting it in the same category as "f****t" and other slurs, and we'll therefore start to see its use being restricted in multiple ways on Twitter.

I'm not bothered on a personal level because I don't post on Twitter anymore and I don't use the word anyway. I just think it's daft that a man who says he's pro freedom of speech has taken that stance. I wonder if we'll start seeing other words he doesn't like being labelled in the same way?

Reactions: 2
I accept that "cis" can be used in a bullying way, but I also think it can be used as a descriptor.
Describe what? The average person is "cis". Plus I personally have not seen it used in non harassment context (from BOTH sides). You don't need to add a word to a word that already exist. It like saying "I want McDonald's fries from McDonald's". You don't need to state the same thing twice. It makes people sound unintelligent.

Reactions: 1
Describe what? The average person is "cis". Plus I personally have not seen it used in non harassment context (from BOTH sides). You don't need to add a word to a word that already exist. It like saying "I want McDonald's fries from McDonald's". You don't need to state the same thing twice. It makes people sound unintelligent.
To me, it's just the opposite of transgender. I had a look on the Oxford English Dictionary website as I knew it would give a better definition than me! I've included a screenshot below. It doesn't label it as "derogatory", which is what it says for slurs.

But to be honest, it's not really about the word - the word could be anything - it's more the approach being taken to label a word a slur and restrict its use in limited circumstances, on a site that claims to be pro freedom of speech.

1687429766231.png

I think this is the only time I'd ever say I'm Team Mark. They're both annoying, but Elon more so. 😂

I'm sure it's just a joke/stunt anyway, though.
Apparently Zuckerberg does ju jitsu and MMA. I’d love Musk to get a pounding, but he’s all mouth and no trousers so he’ll almost certainly chicken out.

Reactions: 2
Apparently Zuckerberg does ju jitsu and MMA. I’d love Musk to get a pounding, but he’s all mouth and no trousers so he’ll almost certainly chicken out.
Yeah I read about Zuckerberg's martial arts experience. Musk will probably pretend it was part of some wider intellectual point he was trying to make. 🥴