Elle Florence #12 Fumbling Towards Mediocrity: Elle, Her Cats, and the Quest for Mr. Next

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Honestly when I started watching her was around 2017 when she lived with Joe and I assumed they had been together for years and were partners (just not getting married). That's part of why I liked watching her ...it reminded me of my now husband and I because we had been living together for a loonnngg time. When they broke up, because of that, I understood why she was so hurt. Of course, everything after that has been a mess and revealed a lot, but just saying before I knew what I know now, I thought they were a cute couple.
Really? I always thought Joe seemed long and suffering, just didn't know how to end it.

Reactions: 4
That's honestly my favorite part but what I don't get. If we could see Joe was miserable how couldn't she? She literally watched her footage back, presumably, before uploading... and she NEVER noticed how over her he was? For months?
I think she was so obsessed with projecting a 'perfect life' to her followers that she just never really saw past that. Her time with Joe was her most successful period – she was in a relationship, lived in a pretty nice apartment, her channel was growing steadily, she had a decent job, she seemed to be selling quite a bit of jewellery and she had a lot of disposable income for shopping. I can see how she'd be so desperate to hang on to all of that that she wouldn't allow herself to see the cracks in the relationship, or at least she didn't seriously consider that Joe might up and leave.

It's really quite astonishing the extent to which her entire life collapsed after that relationship ended.

Reactions: 10
The spouse/SO is always the last to know, they say. I think that is BS. People know they just don't want to deal with the knowledge. Marriages go on for years with them both knowing its over.
Fully agree. I can tell when my SO is upset. When you're with someone that long (8 years) every single day, you know all of their quirks and if it's a good relationship, you can tell when they are hurting or want to talk about something.

I think she was so obsessed with projecting a 'perfect life' to her followers that she just never really saw past that. Her time with Joe was her most successful period – she was in a relationship, lived in a pretty nice apartment, her channel was growing steadily, she had a decent job, she seemed to be selling quite a bit of jewellery and she had a lot of disposable income for shopping. I can see how she'd be so desperate to hang on to all of that that she wouldn't allow herself to see the cracks in the relationship, or at least she didn't seriously consider that Joe might up and leave.

It's really quite astonishing the extent to which her entire life collapsed after that relationship ended.
Her life has really taken such a turn. I wonder what made her go to Seattle in the first place. As an American, if I had Elle next to me I'd tell her to stay in Canada. She doesn't even have health insurance! Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Reactions: 8
I assume Elle‘s mother had an affair with a wealthy man who paid her hush money to leave him alone and not bother him with the baby. Ginette made some lucky investments - house in Victoria and everything together has allowEd her and Elle to live comfortably without having to work too hard.
i think you are right here. This is the only thing that makes sense. I don't know how long she was getting child support for. But that would explain a lot of it.

Reactions: 7
I wonder what made her go to Seattle in the first place. As an American, if I had Elle next to me I'd tell her to stay in Canada. She doesn't even have health insurance! Stupid, stupid, stupid.
She ran out of men. :p Seriously though, I'm in Europe and Canada seems like a much better place to live for things like healthcare and workplace rights. I can't imagine having my healthcare tied to my job and my American colleagues get much less time off than I do. One of them told me two weeks was pretty standard in the US – my firm gives them more than that, but it's still less than the six weeks paid annual leave and unlimited paid sick leave I get...and that's not even the highest in Europe.

Reactions: 12
Don’t forget that the Rose-Elle-ta Stone is still up and running: https://tattle.life/wiki/elle-florence/

I love all the Elle eras, TBH.

The Chris Era was a bit of a blur, the couple traveling to different cities and countries together, all while Elle clung more and more desperately to her emotionally abusive English lawn gnome.
Her Joe Era was by far the most fun to watch - I enjoyed living vicariously through the reckless, carefree spender who fancied herself a career woman with a beautiful apartment and live-in lawyer boyfriend, while we watched him shoot hateful daggers at her with his eyes.
Then the Rick Era was SOOOO awkwardly cringey, I couldn’t help but secondhand-embarrassment-watch every video and chuckle to myself how far she’d fallen from grace.
Now she’s back at it again with Mr. Outdoorsy Engineer, trying to recreate the life she’d lost over and over again since she graduated college. This current era fills my heart with hope that we will be treated to a fishing/hiking/running-themed drone-recorded Hawaii wedding with the avionics engineer, and get to see him in the background of her pregnancy vlogs looking like a caged rabid raccoon when she starts talking about how Jeff Bezos would be soooo cute with a better haircut.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
Its absolutely why the Elle story is so compelling. In that one jump cut from trying on sparkly dresses to crying to the camera about Joe packing his bags, everything fell apart for her.

Everything since then has been a string of desperate poor decisions to try and claw her way back to life before she opened the apartment door that fateful day.

Reactions: 13
Btw, the "Girlboss Survival Vlog" is literally PEAK Elle for me. It all starts at 18 minutes in while she's waking to an event. She's blathering on to the camera, not a care in the world and totally oblivious to the world around her, when at 18:24 a bicyclist yells at her to get out of the way. THEN at 18:33 a girl behind her goes, "Ohhh my god. Shut the duck up!"

AND ELLE KEPT IT IN HER VIDEO. And the best part is when she's getting yelled at she's talking about how she's "oh so overworked." Rofl.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
Btw, the "Girlboss Survival Vlog" is literally PEAK Elle for me. It all starts at 18 minutes in while she's waking to an event. She's blathering on to the camera, not a care in the world and totally oblivious to the world around her, when at 18:24 a bicyclist yells at her to get out of the way. THEN at 18:33 a girl behind her goes, "Ohhh my god. Shut the duck up!"

AND ELLE KEPT IT IN HER VIDEO. And the best part is when she's getting yelled at she's talking about how she's "oh so overworked." Rofl.
The bigger issue with that video was for Elle disclosing that while she called in sick to work because of her illness and being "overworked", she managed to get dressed up and do full glam for the hotel opening with The Dolls©. It's unprofessional and though you can't be disciplined for something like that, it leaves such a bad impression around the office. But this is the woman who would waltz in daily with heaving bags of shopping after coffee breaks, so she probably was past the point of caring.

Reactions: 9
The bigger issue with that video was for Elle disclosing that while she called in sick to work because of her illness and being "overworked", she managed to get dressed up and do full glam for the hotel opening with The Dolls©. It's unprofessional and though you can't be disciplined for something like that, it leaves such a bad impression around the office. But this is the woman who would waltz in daily with heaving bags of shopping after coffee breaks, so she probably was past the point of caring.
How did she get away with that behavior in her job, i don't like going into my office with as much as a bag from the mall.

Reactions: 8
How did she get away with that behavior in her job, i don't like going into my office with as much as a bag from the mall.
Well....when her position opened again after the Rick rejection and she interviewed for her prior job, they didn’t rehire her.

• Haha
How do you know she applied? Did she say?
It was speculative; Elle never said where she was interviewing. People based it off of seeing a job ad from her former employer being posted around the time she was looking for work and because she dressed rather casually for the interview.

I've always doubted the theory of her applying for her old job because of a) her ego/pride/being bored with that job, and b) they would have likely just hired her outright rather than having her reapply and do a formal interview.

It was speculative; Elle never said where she was interviewing. People based it off of seeing a job ad from her former employer being posted around the time she was looking for work and because she dressed rather casually for the interview.

I've always doubted the theory of her applying for her old job because of a) her ego/pride/being bored with that job, and b) they would have likely just hired her outright rather than having her reapply and do a formal interview.
Yes speculative. I should have said that. She said she was interviewing a job. I think she was in Vancouver or was going there at the time. The circumstances pointed to the possibility. I believe she did interview for her old job.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
The reason why I'm inclined to belive Smelle tried to get her old job back is that she never mentioned any other job interviews. She mentioned this one because she was convinced she bagged her old role.

I have to disagree with option B. I had a colleague who quit our company to move back to her home country. Things didn't work out there and two years later she was back in the city where I live, looking for a job. She learnt that there was a vacancy for the same role she used to work in. She applied and got an interview, but they didn't hire her. She didn't perform well in the interview and one of the interviewers used to be her indirect supervisor, so he knew what she was like when she worked in the role (efficient but not very diligent which resulted in errors that others had to fix) and decided against employing her again.

I actually would bet money she went back to her old job. I can see her doing that.
I can also see her being appalled at not being re-hired. It must have been a major reality check for her.

I'm sure she'd say something like
"You guys know I love balancing aesthetics and practicality. It hasn't been aesthetically pleasing nor practical for me to go fishing, this is the only time since I was 8 that is has been both practical and something I could make aesthetically pleasing in the last 24 years. This is why I haven" t been fishing since 8 years old and haven't caught a fish until now. My life has been a challenge and now my heart is happy I can enjoy life's simple pleasures"

Also who tf fishes in cashmere?? Why isn't she wearing her more practical Patagonia? Is it because you couldn't even zip it up last year before the "happy" weight came on??
When my child was very young, I put him in a short kiddie surfing class during a beach vacation just for fun. He hasn’t touched a surfboard or talked about surfing since that summer vacation, but when he’s 32 like Elle, he’ll get to say that’s he’s been surfing for 28 years!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.