eBay/charity shops/Facebook marketplace finds

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
John Lewis sell a really lovely nursing chair and stool approx £200 - picked one up second hand, local Facebook group for £20 when my eldest was a baby. I’ve seen loads over the last few years since on Facebook selling groups all for £20-£50 max. No one gets much return buying them full price. Bit like Jumperoos - they seem to be all over the Facebook selling groups. Would love to know the age of some of them as people often resell once finished with them.

Our town has a dedicated baby selling group, a general selling group and a ‘gifting’ group where you can post things for free. We got rid of a bed and mattress through the gifting group - like @heretoreaditall2019 easier than arranging a trip to the tip.

I love the fact there is some (albeit unknown) history to my engagement ring alongside the conflict diamonds issue. I missed out on a beautiful Pearl ring ages ago - and not by much either which made it hurt even more. At least if you’re out bid by lots you know it wasn’t meant to be. Let us know if you find any treasures.
Nodded along to all of this!! For the electric baby swingy chair we got the reviews were SO 50/50 that instead of spending £250 we got one second hand for £90 odd (may have been £70?) which I appreciate isn’t bargain of the century but still significantly better than brand new. Baby did so well in it, got us so many extra naps so paid for itself many times over, in the end I regifted it on a no buy site but asked that it went to a young mum cos some of the people in those groups do take the piss ngl. Anyway it did & over the moon another baby will get to nap in it and another mum will get a cup of tea and a solo wee out of it!

Baby clothes are an interesting one - I’ve done a not buying new year so I’ve tried to do it for baby where possible. ETA I won’t do it with sleep things tho terrified! It’s gotten a LOT easier to find lovely bits now we’re in size 18-24 (she is insanely tall) whereas before it was really tough. A lot of sellers are fab and will bundle so you save on postage too.

You’ve inspired me to look at rings now! I wanted a vintage ring to get engraved with baby’s name but not found anything nice on Etsy. My first engagement ring (same man, same engagement lol) was a Victorian ring but it broke so we had to get it remade entirely. I preferred the first as it was so much daintier (hence it breaking lol). x

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Baby clothes are an interesting one - I’ve done a not buying new year so I’ve tried to do it for baby where possible. ETA I won’t do it with sleep things tho terrified! It’s gotten a LOT easier to find lovely bits now we’re in size 18-24 (she is insanely tall) whereas before it was really tough. A lot of sellers are fab and will bundle so you save on postage too.
I’ve bought so many clothes for my kids especially baby bits on eBay. I always go for brand new with tags but got so many good deals on Next/Zara/H&M bits.

Reactions: 1
There's also a few reselling pages on instagram too for baby clothes if you search for preloved.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
There's also a few reselling pages on instagram too for baby clothes if you search for preloved.

You were the inspo for my not buying new year! And thank you for these my love x

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Great thread idea!! I've done no spend/low spend years and love a bargain.
I love browsing the charity shops near me and had some lucky finds. Fly London boots for £15. Lovely Next jeans for 50p!
I sell my kids outgrown clothes on Ebay too if I've bought them new.

I got authentic frye campus boots for a tenner on eBay ten years ago and they're still going strong. Can wear with anything jeans, shorts, skirts, dresses.

I've got rid of loads too on eBay. It's amazing what people will buy. Your trash is someone else's treasure, as the saying goes.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
The Pan Books of Horror are an iconic series of pulp horror anthologies from the 70s-80s. They are out of print but the later ones are especially hard to find. I got the final two for like £30 together on eBay, at a time when they were selling for a minimum £100 each on the second hand market. The seller probably thought they were jacking up the price on a pair of crappy old paperbacks and didn't know how collectible the series is

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
A pair of Guess trousers, still with tags on them. On their website for £100,bought for £8 in a charity shop

I got authentic frye campus boots for a tenner on eBay ten years ago and they're still going strong. Can wear with anything jeans, shorts, skirts, dresses.

I've got rid of loads too on eBay. It's amazing what people will buy. Your trash is someone else's treasure, as the saying goes.
I got some frye campus boots from ebay too. Mine were about 30 quid

• Heart
I live in a town that has so many charity shops but they've all adopted the eBay pricing model - so they search the sold prices on eBay and sell for that. The bargains are very few and far between now 😭

For example last week BHF had a girls pair of Converse in average condition for sale for £25! And all puzzles are around £5 regardless of condition or size.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 11
I once got a brand new pair of limited edition Converse (the navy ones with gold anchors, if anyone's interested) on eBay for £5 because the seller had titled the listing as...."shoes" 😂 That was a long time ago, doubt it would happen now!

• Haha
I live in a town that has so many charity shops but they've all adopted the eBay pricing model - so they search the sold prices on eBay and sell for that. The bargains are very few and far between now 😭

For example last week BHF had a girls pair of Converse in average condition for sale for £25! And all puzzles are around £5 regardless of condition or size.
I know this thread isn’t about charity shops but I popped into ours for the first time the other week and was appalled at the state of them. I’m in east London and I don’t want to say affluent cos I don’t think it’s true, but houses aren’t cheap (but I see a lot of older adults living at home for much longer, so first time buyers are in their 30s/40s buying their first home then?) and it was absolute tit. Like raggedy barbie heads full of tangles and just tat, normally I put all my toddler’s stuff on our local free site but I’ve made a bag for it to donate instead. Even though it’s more of an inconvenience and dealing with bleeping ringo parking (or other robotic friends of his) 😬 but as a kid charity shops were an actual opportunity to get toys or books so I feel so sorry for kids around here in the same boat.

Sorry the point of this rant I suppose is are they all this awful?! I always see the Insta mamas picking up wooden toys and diverse and recent kids lit! You’d be more likely to find happy meal toys and 90s early learning toys than that in ours…!

Reactions: 4
Most of the charity shops I go to are great. The best one has 50p/£1/£2 rails. I buy all my glasses in it (6 for £1). Some are not so good, lots of very worn out stuff that's overpriced.

Yes depends on the shop . Some are overpriced some are just filled with rubbish which would be better off in the bin.

I did buy some lovely glasses for £1 each look brand new . I do find the clothes a bit of a miss in most , I have seen a few on the London ones that charge more than what i have seen on the outnet for mid priced outfits.

I used to love eBay but lately the amount of bargains I’ve found, won and then the item “mysteriously” gets lost or damaged so can’t be sold drives me crazy.

• Heart
Reactions: 8

This is what ruins charity shops for me. They are exactly the same in Devon. They look on eBay to price things up too. It's not right imo. I think it takes the joy out of it and that's not making money for charity as you'll probably end up looking elsewhere.
I saw a second hand LOL car without any doll being sold for £40!! It also had 'price on eBay' wrote on the sticker. Actually, if they had researched it properly you could buy the car brand new for £23 in B&M or £25 in Smyth's 🤨. They don't know what they are doing!

• Wow
This is what ruins charity shops for me. They are exactly the same in Devon. They look on eBay to price things up too. It's not right imo. I think it takes the joy out of it and that's not making money for charity as you'll probably end up looking elsewhere.
I saw a second hand LOL car without any doll being sold for £40!! It also had 'price on eBay' wrote on the sticker. Actually, if they had researched it properly you could buy the car brand new for £23 in B&M or £25 in Smyth's 🤨. They don't know what they are doing!
There’s definitely a balance to be struck. Like it’s a good thing that the days of great stuff being sold at 20p are gone as the gifter *wanted* the charity to benefit from it being an expensive item, but charity shops also serve a function to the communities they exist in? Like having lower cost toys and books is a real equaliser for low income families. I felt a bit conflicted on an influencer’s thread as she’s always mining charity shops and I felt it should be left for LI families tbh but people said there’s more than enough stuff to go around because over production is what it is these days.

But yeah I was quite shocked to see the state of ours, most of it appeared to be house clearance stuff so a lot of curtains and glass and tableware and not much else?

Reactions: 6