eBay/charity shops/Facebook marketplace finds

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
There’s a subreddit with this theme but it’s always Americans posting.

What are your all time favourite finds? Or narrow misses?

(Just a caveat to be careful if posting any links especially to Facebook marketplace as it gives a rough idea of where you live - not sure if all thread subject matters are unhinged as Jack Monroe who threatens legal action to everyone but just stay safe xx ✨)

• Heart
Reactions: 10
My mum is a really good finder of Emma Bridgewater in charity shops. She picked up two rare cups last week for £2.50 worth about £50-60! I know it’s not an amazing find but I love seeing what treasures people do find!

• Heart
Reactions: 15
love eBay and charity shops, best thing Iv found is a set of denby dinner plates, side plates and bowls for £30, think they would cost over £100 if bought new. My mums always finding great bargains too in the charity shops, like an M&S trench coat for 50p and a crystal vase for £4.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I have a renovated period property, previous owners had ripped out all the good stuff and antique shops are £££££s. I have found some clinkers on fb marketplace, couple of months back I picked up a club fender for around my fireplace for £30. I didn't even have to go pick it up they delivered it.

• Heart
My sort of thread!!!
I buy and resell on EBay too, best finds (vague so you can’t search EBay)
£5 vintage hand knitted jumper sold for £100
£3.50 vintage shirt, very niche sold for £125
£2 very very niche boots sold for £100
£4 rare cookbook sold for £55

those were bought to resell though, my personal faves are usually vintage clothes or homewares, I picked up a fabulous 1970’s tray for £1 that I’ve kept and a Ted Baker bag for £1 recently. I’ve always loved charity shops and boot sales tjough

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
My sort of thread!!!
I buy and resell on EBay too, best finds (vague so you can’t search EBay)
£5 vintage hand knitted jumper sold for £100
£3.50 vintage shirt, very niche sold for £125
£2 very very niche boots sold for £100
£4 rare cookbook sold for £55

those were bought to resell though, my personal faves are usually vintage clothes or homewares, I picked up a fabulous 1970’s tray for £1 that I’ve kept and a Ted Baker bag for £1 recently. I’ve always loved charity shops and boot sales tjough
Any tips to spot vintage 😳 I volunteer in a charity shop. Kills me how cheap our stuff is but can't sell. Postage system is crap here. ☹

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
My mum is a really good finder of Emma Bridgewater in charity shops. She picked up two rare cups last week for £2.50 worth about £50-60! I know it’s not an amazing find but I love seeing what treasures people do find!
I love Emma Bridgewater designs too- haven't bought anything at their normal price.

Ages ago I bought a almost new copy of the twits for 50p + my brother and I bought a Harry potter board game for £4.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
A couple of years ago I bought a brand new never been worn before pair of River Island knee high boots for £7… they still had the £99.00 sticker on the bottom.

• Wow
  • Heart
I bought a lovely river island Parker, brand new with tags, £2.50 in my Local charity shop, I was delighted!

• Heart
I got a hell bunny vixen dress yesterday for £4, don't think it's ever been worn. Also an Emma Bridgewater cup for 50p 😊 I love charity shopping, often go with my mum who is the queen of bargains 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 11
My kinda thread 😍

I got a pure wool blazer for £1- decided I didn’t like the shape so put it on eBay auction and sold it on for £30 😍

also got a Max Mara dress for £3

got my son an Nike coat for £1.95

LOVE charity shops!!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I’ve missed looking round charity shops! My Mum got a North Face puffer jacket for £2!

• Wow
Reactions: 6
I really love little tealight porcelain houses ... I have a small village of them :LOL: most of my houses have been found on marketplaces, advertised as anything but what they really are (I've seen "dust collector," "old fashioned house," "toy house" ... usually their pictures give them away though; even if they're not pictured in lit-up form, I have real nose and eye for hunting them out).

1625815266260.png

• Heart
Reactions: 16
My mum found me a pair of Sarah Jessica Parker heels in a charity shop for £9. I could spend hours on eBay looking at stuff, have had a few bargains over the years on eBay! Always have so much stuff on my watch list 🤣

My mum found me a pair of Sarah Jessica Parker heels in a charity shop for £9. I could spend hours on eBay looking at stuff, have had a few bargains over the years on eBay! Always have so much stuff on my watch list 🤣
My watch list is huge and then the ending notification comes up and I have to talk myself out of bidding!

My engagement ring came from EBay. Was looking at vintage rings and found this ring, ‘watched it’ for no real reason other than pining that one day I might own something as beautiful. Partner asked me a few weeks later about what style of ring I like (not very subtle). Showed him the ring - hoping he’d then know what style I liked. Forgot about it and a couple of months later he proposed with the ring! I love it because it’s a bit different to conventional engagement rings though a couple of friends were horrified when told the ring came from eBay! The funniest/cutest thing was he was so proud of ‘making an offer’ for the ring as he’s notoriously bad at eBay - bids on stuff way too early/generally doesn’t get how to do it!

We also have a large 3 seater sofa - £50. With the Van hire on top it came to £100 - the sofa was a year old, hardly used. They were getting rid as they had a new one coming. The wife was livid her husband hadn’t put a reserve on it - as he helped my partner put it in the van he told him how he was in the dog house! Sofa is still going strong now.

• Heart
I used to buy lots on eBay. My best bargains were a chrome and glass tv stand/ shelving unit for £10 (the lady selling it grumbled at how cheap I’d managed to get it for and how expensive it was originally!) a pair of boots with a retail price of around £300 for £35 that had clearly only been worn a couple of times and a brand new rocking horse for £20.

a couple of friends were horrified when told the ring came from eBay!
Omg I love this story so much, I don’t get why people are so funny about preloved rings? Like the idea of a second hand ring is worse than stimulating further demand for literal conflict diamonds?! I’d never have thought to look for jewellery on eBay weirdly, that’ll be my toilet break nose today 😂

I used to buy lots on eBay. My best bargains were a chrome and glass tv stand/ shelving unit for £10 (the lady selling it grumbled at how cheap I’d managed to get it for and how expensive it was originally!) a pair of boots with a retail price of around £300 for £35 that had clearly only been worn a couple of times and a brand new rocking horse for £20.
I really hate the idea of people grumbling over what you’ve paid for an item? The reality is furniture / everything can be bought for so cheap these days, often with free shipping, that it’s sort of taken the bottom out of the resale market unless it’s ££££ in the first place.

We’ve just finished a #reno so I’m replacing the furniture we moved out of our flat into here with, and tbh all of it will go on the local no buy site because I can’t deal with the agro of eBay and feedback etc for very little. I’ll be grateful for it being taken as it saves us co ordinating a dump trip with a baby or paying someone £50+ just to put perfectly usable stuff into landfill.

Reactions: 4
Omg I love this story so much, I don’t get why people are so funny about preloved rings? Like the idea of a second hand ring is worse than stimulating further demand for literal conflict diamonds?! I’d never have thought to look for jewellery on eBay weirdly, that’ll be my toilet break nose today 😂

I really hate the idea of people grumbling over what you’ve paid for an item? The reality is furniture / everything can be bought for so cheap these days, often with free shipping, that it’s sort of taken the bottom out of the resale market unless it’s ££££ in the first place.
Exactly. I told her it’s the chance you take when you advertise on eBay without a reserve. I think she was hoping I’d offer her more when I collected it but no way! You win some, you lose some

• Heart
John Lewis sell a really lovely nursing chair and stool approx £200 - picked one up second hand, local Facebook group for £20 when my eldest was a baby. I’ve seen loads over the last few years since on Facebook selling groups all for £20-£50 max. No one gets much return buying them full price. Bit like Jumperoos - they seem to be all over the Facebook selling groups. Would love to know the age of some of them as people often resell once finished with them.

Our town has a dedicated baby selling group, a general selling group and a ‘gifting’ group where you can post things for free. We got rid of a bed and mattress through the gifting group - like @heretoreaditall2019 easier than arranging a trip to the tip.

I love the fact there is some (albeit unknown) history to my engagement ring alongside the conflict diamonds issue. I missed out on a beautiful Pearl ring ages ago - and not by much either which made it hurt even more. At least if you’re out bid by lots you know it wasn’t meant to be. Let us know if you find any treasures.

• Heart