Early and forgotten British celebs

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thread for celebs of the past. ❤

A new discovery for me, Yvonne Buckingham who played Christine Keeler.

yvonne-buckingham-photo_137386_49068.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Thread for celebs of the past. ❤

A new discovery for me, Yvonne Buckingham who played Christine Keeler.

View attachment 1319732
Thank you for doing this.

I don’t remember her, not quite that old, but remember reading a few articles about her.

Not sure why, but the Mail link does not open. So trying this Express one.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
I just popped on to say, it begins and ends with Margaret Rutherford for me 😊

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 33

I don’t remember her, not quite that old, but remember reading a few articles about her.

Are you sure? It worked for me. I'd never heard of Sabrina! Here's a clip.

Reactions: 2
Are you sure? It worked for me. I'd never heard of Sabrina! Here's a clip.

Not sure why the Mail won’t open for me. It did the first time, but not since!!??

Diana Dors, very famous, but probably not to a lot of people. She was a caricature character but I saw her in an old black and white movie Yield to the Night which was riveting.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
She was a caricature character but I saw her in an old black and white movie Yield to the Night which was riveting.
She got lots of kudos for a change of direction in that role, as far as I can make out. It would have been interesting to see how her career would have been later in the 80s and 90s had she lived longer.

Reactions: 8
She got lots of kudos for a change of direction in that role, as far as I can make out. It would have been interesting to see how her career would have been later in the 80s and 90s had she lived longer.
Agreed. She was starting to get roles as a character actress rather than the ex blonde bombshell. She had quite the life, with lots of tragedies. Her widower came to a tragic end too, and her son too.

Reactions: 13
Agreed. She was starting to get roles as a character actress rather than the ex blonde bombshell. She had quite the life, with lots of tragedies. Her widower came to a tragic end too, and her son too.
Yes she did have quite a life, which seems to be the case with a few actresses of the time, particularly if they achieved success at a young age. Perhaps it's not that different now, though.

Reactions: 4
Carry On's Charles Hawtrey. Had Tattle been around in the 70s / 80s, he'd have generated enough material to fill 100 threads.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 48
Not sure why the Mail won’t open for me. It did the first time, but not since!!??

Diana Dors, very famous, but probably not to a lot of people. She was a caricature character but I saw her in an old black and white movie Yield to the Night which was riveting.
YIELD TO THE NIGHT

holy tit, @House of Tea ive been wracking my brains about this film for years, I knew it was Diana Dors in a “serious” role and every time I’ve gone to Google it I’ve forgotten why I’m there

I saw it when I was a teen and an absolutely humungous Morrissey/Smiths fan and I really loved it, that and Saturday Night and Sunday Morning

THANK YOU

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I was going to add her earlier. She was so beautiful too.
And an interesting person. So many pre and post war British talent. I discovered her when she played the Queen Mother in the 2006 film The Queen.

I didn't know whether to mention David Niven but he is so under rated. Excellent comic timing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 23
Terence Stamp, David Hemings and Malcolm McDowell were not of my era, but I found them mesmerising when I saw their films.

Kate O Mara always fascinated me. She turned up on The Colbys and Triangle, but she was in a lot of Hammer Horror and similar as the Dolly bird. She always looked other worldly. I went and saw her in a matinee in a West End theatre when I lived in the area. I was wandering near the theatre an hour or so before the show and she was sitting at a table outside a cafe holding court with her admirers. This was late 90s, she would be approaching 60. She had an aura, old school starriness. I was sitting next to a couple of Americans in the audience and they said, oh my gawd, would you look at her bosom! She did have an amazing figure.

Reactions: 26
The tragedy of her early demise from cancer, followed shortly by her husband's suicide, leaving their child an orphan. Jason Dors Lake himself died prematurely aged 50, alcohol and substance abuse were believed to be a factor.

If Diana had been a cancer survivor, how different everything could have been. She was a very talented, but underrated actress, and marketed as a budget Marilyn Monroe.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 28

Remember her very well,how sad she ended up like that,remember the actress Anita Ekberg?Married to British actor Anthony Steele..god that was years ago.

Remember the actress Kay Kendall Married to Rex Harrison died in ‘59 of Leukemia.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
I loved Diana, one of my favourite characters she played was Mrs Wickens. She played some really good parts and she was a very witty clever lady. I was very sad when she died.

• Heart
Reactions: 15