Dubai

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Genuinely interested, how are people allowed to walk around like this? I thought there were modesty laws and such like? Can anyone who has been there tell me what actually happens when these girls appear in public?

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 10
Genuinely interested, how are people allowed to walk around like this? I thought there were modesty laws and such like? Can anyone who has been there tell me what actually happens when these girls appear in public?
Probably got stoned after this
I’m sure you’re technically allowed to wear swimwear but only on resort beaches and at hotel pools. They’re a little more lenient with white/British/Americans esp if they’re rich.
but I’m sure the police will issue you with an immediate warning or fine if you’re not in those areas from what I’ve seen

Reactions: 3
lol I absolutely love the misconceptions about Dubai (particularly from people who haven’t been there). Spoiler: nothing happens. There are some signs saying to cover knees etc in some places but I’ve never seen these enforced (unless it’s a religious place). I’ve worn bikinis in Dubai, on the beach and off the beach and I’m fine, no fines, no telling off, no stoning, no dirty looks 😁

also, I’m not white

Reactions: 7
I lived in Dubai for a few years, and whilst I had a fairly decent time there, the best thing I ever did was leave. It's a mecca for the extremely materialistic- I especially cannot understand those that move there with young kids... but it's definitely a 'type'.

The people that like Dubai (Or are willing to deal with it's quirks) are those who benefit financially from it... which says a lot.
Same experience, I managed a year, hated my job, the lifestyle you can experience if you aren’t working long days, didn’t want to raise my kids there so my partner and I left. Even if I hadn’t worked and enjoyed the lifestyle more I couldn’t have stayed, it’s like a simulation

Reactions: 5
Since it's a dubai thread it's only fitting to ask here....

Anyone had a similar problem while living here?
We live in a building that overlooks a common pool area. Our neighbours let their children/preteens (around 9 of them) play in the pool area that we look over. They scream and shout all the time. It started in half term and now even when school started, kids are just running screaming all over the property. I can't relax in my own home. Obviously i complained to the security guard, who said he went before to the parents and they argued that "there's no playing area provided in the building". As if this is an excuse for their constant noise and shouting!!!
I raised a complaint to the management, they say we're looking into it but nothing happened. I even called the police and they said the guys on patrol will visit and check but nothing happened. They're not really civilized for me or my husband to go and talk to them. It's annoying because i feel helpless!
Do i try calling the police again? I've never had such problems with neighbours before so idk what to do..

We live in a building that overlooks a common pool area. Our neighbours let their children/preteens (around 9 of them) play in the pool area that we look over. They scream and shout all the time. It started in half term and now even when school started, kids are just running screaming all over the property. I can't relax in my own home. Obviously i complained to the security guard, who said he went before to the parents and they argued that "there's no playing area provided in the building". As if this is an excuse for their constant noise and shouting!!!
I raised a complaint to the management, they say we're looking into it but nothing happened. I even called the police and they said the guys on patrol will visit and check but nothing happened. They're not really civilized for me or my husband to go and talk to them. It's annoying because i feel helpless!
Do i try calling the police again? I've never had such problems with neighbours before so idk what to do..
Christ the police will probably get them stoned or lashed

All the stories about the nasty stuff these influencers engage in when there has really put Dubai at the top of my list of places I won’t visit.

Not to mention the treatment of foreign workers from 3rd world countries. No thanks.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 7

What time is this? Is the pool not closed in the evening/early morning? If it's during the day, probably not much you can do unfortunately. We had a family in our community and the kids ran riot. The poor security guards were at their wits end and the parents did not give a tit. I would be looking to move...

Reactions: 1

I live in dubai and usualy security dont do much. Just keep calling the police but i hope u have managed to get it sorted by now

The Inghams are claiming to have moved to Dubai where everyday feels like a holiday (with a feels temp of 50c) and are renting a house in the middle of the desert.

It claims to have Moroccan flare, but looks absolutely awful and is a 40 min at best drive from anywhere. The back garden is AstroTurf and a tent. Just why? Looks like absolute hell to be stuck in there because it's too hot to do anything outside.

Screenshot_20240605_162452_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240605_162503_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240605_162518_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240605_162531_Chrome.jpg
7D866AE8-0784-45A1-B98E-1008085980C5.png

Reactions: 6
The Inghams are claiming to have moved to Dubai where everyday feels like a holiday (with a feels temp of 50c) and are renting a house in the middle of the desert.

It claims to have Moroccan flare, but looks absolutely awful and is a 40 min at best drive from anywhere. The back garden is AstroTurf and a tent. Just why? Looks like absolute hell to be stuck in there because it's too hot to do anything outside.

View attachment 2976159View attachment 2976160View attachment 2976161View attachment 2976162View attachment 2976163
You forgot to add that there's eight of them. Three adults and five children, in that small house.

• Wow
Reactions: 8
Some instagrammer said that it is illegal to talk negatively about Dubai businesses there. So for example if you were to post a negative review of some Dubai beauty clinic, the police would call you and tell you to take it down and add a public apology/correction. Is that true? If so, seems like a really big adjustment for western people taking freedom of speech for granted their whole lives.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
Ok, fair point. Let me tell you three things off the top of my head that I love above Dubai.

- Dubai is home to nearly 200 nationalities. There is a huge amount of religious and cultural diversity. My kids go to school with children from all around the world, and this is really celebrated. Every year, school children mark International Day - this involves wearing your national dress, bringing in food from your home country, and sharing something from your culture, whether that's a song, game, story etc. At just 4 years old, my kids learn French and Arabic as part of the curriculum and are exposed to so much - far more than I did in my home counties primary school.

- One of my children has special needs. The level of care he gets here is exceptional - from a dedicated Inclusion team at school, to Occupational and Speech Therapy on tap. Yes, I am fortunate that this is covered by my health insurance (provided to me, by law, by my employer) but for those who don't have 'great' health insurance, there are numerous government and charitable schemes to ensure people get the care they need. People with disabilities (known as People of Determination here in the UAE) are treated with the utmost consideration and respect, with many programmes and initiatives in place to ensure they are protected and empowered - for example, the Sanaad scheme offers free public transport, priority parking, free entrance to places etc. Their rights in educational settings and the workplace are also fiercely protected.

- The summer months are tough, there is no denying that. But for many months of the year, the weather is glorious. As a family, we spend a huge amount of time outdoors - the beaches are lovely and plentiful. You can drive into the mountains and hike. You can camp. You can dive, snorkel, sail, kayak. Health and well-being (physical and mental) is taken very seriously here and whilst we work hard, every weekend is like a holiday.

I get the point about Dubai being pushed as a luxury destination by influencers. But that's just not real life for the majority of us working here. Just as people who live in London don't eat at The Ivy every day or shop in Harrods.
When the much hyped building boom collapsed a few years back, thousands of the slave labourers who build & clean & repair the eyesores - sorry magnificent tall towers and super highways - which fill the place were left to starve in accommodations so overcrowded & lacking in basic amenities like plumbing and windows that they make a Bangkok prison look like a luxury holiday destination.

"Expats" who tout their positive & wonderful experiences of Dubai never seem to pause to consider that it is only possible because of the misery, suffering and blood of those people.
---

Surely there are estates and buildings that are child free. Yes I am sure it costs more to live in those but if the sound of children's laughter at play is so distressing it would be worth it to you.

Last edited:
Some instagrammer said that it is illegal to talk negatively about Dubai businesses there. So for example if you were to post a negative review of some Dubai beauty clinic, the police would call you and tell you to take it down and add a public apology/correction. Is that true? If so, seems like a really big adjustment for western people taking freedom of speech for granted their whole lives.
Yes this is true

Reactions: 2
I grew up in Bahrain in the 1960s and 1970s. My parents had been in Iran, Iraq and Kuwait too; my brother was born in Iran. I remember when there wasn't air conditioning everywhere, including at school. The older I get the more desperately homesick I get for it. My dad used to mutter about Dubai that he remembered it as a "backwater creek" and he had a lot of business there. The only thing I know about current Dubai is that my friend teaches in Oman and she had a fabulous holiday in Dubai with friends and their family, what with the water parks and other activities, as well as huge choice of food (mind you, Muscat seems to be the same for food too from her social media).

Back in the 1980s/1990s, family friends were working in Dubai as its growth started to boom. There were a load of wives at the pool one day, boasting how long each of them had been in the Gulf; Margaret's reply of "1948" rather shut them up.

As for Qatar, they have been at the forefront of negotiations with several other countries, particularly Afghanistan where Qatar acted as the middleman to get people out when the Taliban took over again.

I read the English language Gulf newspapers online which helps keep me updated about my previous home.

• Heart
Reactions: 2