Dubai

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:

Yel

A general thread for anything Dubai related.

Surely there's more to this?
Screenshot_20231003_085559_Brave.jpg

Only my opinion which no one asked for. I've never had less of a desire to visit anywhere in the world than I do with Dubai.
I just cannot see the appeal.

• Heart
Reactions: 35

Yel

They literally have to truck away poo because they built buildings without the infrastructure to support them, it's a mess where you have to get a highway to go anywhere, life there is difficult to sustain without AC and you're at the mercy of their laws. What's not to love about the place? 😆

I can see why the towie types love it.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 14
Only my opinion which no one asked for. I've never had less of a desire to visit anywhere in the world than I do with Dubai.
I just cannot see the appeal.
Same. The place is literally a shrine to human trafficking and slavery. I have heard of things that go on there that are an affront to human dignity.

• Sad
Reactions: 16
I live here and have done for nearly 15 years. My three kids were born and raised here. It's not perfect (where is?!) but it is hugely misrepresented in the western media. Are some of the Towie stereotypes true? Absolutely. Are there things I wish were different. Of course. But even in 15 years, the progress that I've seen made here is astounding. People often forget (or don't even know) that the UAE is only 50 years old. I'm very happy to call it my home.
---
Already there are posts that contain information that is factually incorrect. I get annoyed with myself for getting drawn into conversations about Dubai online because people are so insistent on believing things that they read in the Daily Mail or saw once on holiday. It's like me visiting the UK, going into Wetherspoons on a Saturday night and then insisting DID YOU KNOW, IN ENGLAND ITS ILEGAL TO NOT HAVE TATTOOS AND BE DRUNK.

Reactions: 9

Yel

Already there are posts that contain information that is factually incorrect. I get annoyed with myself for getting drawn into conversations about Dubai online because people are so insistent on believing things that they read in the Daily Mail
You're welcome to respond to any comment and have a discussion. There's not much quantifiable I can respond to yours, which is a shame. I'm sure if you live there then there's much more than influencers show of the place and I'm sure everyone would love to hear positive things.

Dubai is pushed by influencers and adverts heavily as the ultimate luxury destination.

Reactions: 12
Ok, fair point. Let me tell you three things off the top of my head that I love above Dubai.

- Dubai is home to nearly 200 nationalities. There is a huge amount of religious and cultural diversity. My kids go to school with children from all around the world, and this is really celebrated. Every year, school children mark International Day - this involves wearing your national dress, bringing in food from your home country, and sharing something from your culture, whether that's a song, game, story etc. At just 4 years old, my kids learn French and Arabic as part of the curriculum and are exposed to so much - far more than I did in my home counties primary school.

- One of my children has special needs. The level of care he gets here is exceptional - from a dedicated Inclusion team at school, to Occupational and Speech Therapy on tap. Yes, I am fortunate that this is covered by my health insurance (provided to me, by law, by my employer) but for those who don't have 'great' health insurance, there are numerous government and charitable schemes to ensure people get the care they need. People with disabilities (known as People of Determination here in the UAE) are treated with the utmost consideration and respect, with many programmes and initiatives in place to ensure they are protected and empowered - for example, the Sanaad scheme offers free public transport, priority parking, free entrance to places etc. Their rights in educational settings and the workplace are also fiercely protected.

- The summer months are tough, there is no denying that. But for many months of the year, the weather is glorious. As a family, we spend a huge amount of time outdoors - the beaches are lovely and plentiful. You can drive into the mountains and hike. You can camp. You can dive, snorkel, sail, kayak. Health and well-being (physical and mental) is taken very seriously here and whilst we work hard, every weekend is like a holiday.

I get the point about Dubai being pushed as a luxury destination by influencers. But that's just not real life for the majority of us working here. Just as people who live in London don't eat at The Ivy every day or shop in Harrods.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Just a few reasons why I don’t see the appeal of Dubai:

Direct discrimination against women, being gay is illegal and extreme restrictions on freedom of expression. Not to mention the horrendous issues with modern day slavery.
Obviously every country has problems, but imo the laws in Dubai are just too oppressive to justify even visiting and I think there are far more interesting places to go anyway.

Reactions: 16
Just a few reasons why I don’t see the appeal of Dubai:

Direct discrimination against women, being gay is illegal and extreme restrictions on freedom of expression. Not to mention the horrendous issues with modern day slavery.
Obviously every country has problems, but imo the laws in Dubai are just too oppressive to justify even visiting and I think there are far more interesting places to go anyway.
Completely agree.

Also idk maybe it's just the influencer trips or I'm missing something but it looks like a boring place to go. 😅

Reactions: 5
Completely agree.

Also idk maybe it's just the influencer trips or I'm missing something but it looks like a boring place to go. 😅
You are missing something :) Or perhaps you are looking at the wrong sources.

Reactions: 3
Lived there for 12 years from 2007-2019.

I did enjoy my time there, but the best thing I ever did was leave. Now live in Amsterdam and it is so incredible to be back in Europe and back to 'normality'.

Went back for a visit in 2020 as my sister still lives there and almost as soon as I stepped off the plane I thought to myself, 'I've made a huge mistake coming back here'. I absolutely hated it. Will have to go back from time to time to see her, but would happily never set foot in the place ever again.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
As someone who’s in a same sex relationship Dubai most certainly isn’t on my “to visit” list.

I’m sure it seems like a decent place if you’re in an opposite sex marriage with a family but that doesn’t apply to everyone.

They’re free to make their own laws just as I’m free to decide against going there.

Reactions: 9
Ok, fair point. Let me tell you three things off the top of my head that I love above Dubai.

- Dubai is home to nearly 200 nationalities. There is a huge amount of religious and cultural diversity. My kids go to school with children from all around the world,

- One of my children has special needs. The level of care he gets here is exceptional - Yes, I am fortunate that this is covered by my health insurance

- The summer months are tough, there is no denying that. But for many months of the year, the weather is glorious.
1. Literally so is London alone. The UK generally is a multicultural hotbed which is celebrated.
2. I am glad this is the case for you and absolutely fair enough - I hope they’re doing well! but that shouldn’t have to be covered by health insurance imo. I don’t know enough about disability legislation/rights etc over there so I won’t comment further (plus anything must be better than the DWP’s system in the UK lmao, one point to UAE for that)
3. It’ll only get more intolerable as climate change and global warming increases. A lot of this as a result of Dubai and the UAE’s oil industry.

overall it seems you like Dubai because you personally benefit from it. But as many have said, there is an appalling general human rights record, capital punishment is legal and regularly enforced, corruption is rife, the oil industry is unethical, I could go on and on.

For me I don’t agree with Islamic theocratic states - Saudi and all the other MENA states - not only due to what I perceive as sheer backwards and outdated Sharia laws, but also the lack of helping out their own. With all their wealth why aren’t Saudi/Qatar/UAE helping all the refugees/migrants from Islamic countries like Syria/Afghanistan/Iraq etc? So much for brotherhood. I won’t even get into the Yemen situation on here.

And I know the UK has issues don’t get me wrong but at least I’m not at risk of being flogged to death for living how I like and being in a relationship with who I want

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I agree with all of you ( :ROFLMAO: ). I lived in Dubai for 3years. I’ve had such conflicting experiences. Real highs & lows. I never found many Brits to bond with as I could a large majority quite superficial (who’d have thought it eh!:LOL:)
Super glad to be ‘home’ now though, even if the UK is in a bit of a mess.

Reactions: 6

Yel

It’ll only get more intolerable as climate change and global warming increases.
This is going to be such an issue in so many parts of the world. Dubai at the moment I'd say has about 3 months of good weather. The rest of the year it's unpleasant or very unpleasant. All the months in the low 30s are tolerable with AC, but without AC it's very difficult to live and energy prices in the world are only going one way.

The mediterranean climate used to be perfect, but it's now getting way too hot in the summer.

Screenshot 2023-10-04 at 10.28.56.png

Reactions: 1
I lived in Dubai for a few years, and whilst I had a fairly decent time there, the best thing I ever did was leave. It's a mecca for the extremely materialistic- I especially cannot understand those that move there with young kids... but it's definitely a 'type'.

The people that like Dubai (Or are willing to deal with it's quirks) are those who benefit financially from it... which says a lot.

Reactions: 10
This is going to be such an issue in so many parts of the world. Dubai at the moment I'd say has about 3 months of good weather. The rest of the year it's unpleasant or very unpleasant. All the months in the low 30s are tolerable with AC, but without AC it's very difficult to live and energy prices in the world are only going one way.

The mediterranean climate used to be perfect, but it's now getting way too hot in the summer.

View attachment 2490166
It’s genuinely going to become unliveable - the same with parts of Saudi/Qatar etc.

Reactions: 2

Yel

It’s genuinely going to become unliveable - the same with parts of Saudi/Qatar etc.
Yep, it's been happening more and more the last few years with increased global migration due to places unable to sustain human life. It's only going to worse.

Reactions: 1