Dry(ish) April

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This country is so dysfunctional with alcohol compared to others. I was watching the breakfast news on Monday and they were live from a pub cheering a man having a pint at 8am, what other country would do that?!

I’ve said before on these threads I’m not really a gin person, I like a proper G&T on a summers evening but that’s about it. All these new brightly coloured flavours look like kids pop and seem to be targeted at the younger generations. They all sound very sickly. And like the above says they’re stuck on promotions on the end of aisles next to crisps and chocolate.

Re Dry April..... well I’m not doing very well 🙈 BUT - I have just had a couple of drinks still, not a boat load! So I find that an achievement. Wasn’t planning on going anywhere near a pub but my boyfriend got a new job this week so yesterday evening we went to our local to celebrate. It was okay, quite chilly 🥶 but nice sat in the sun, they had The Smiths on speakers and it was nice to be around other people, it was nice and civilised. I have driven past pubs this week though that looked horrendous, people so drunk 🥴 and spilling out onto the street.

I had 3 pints of Stella at the pub (I’m classy) it really stung at £4.10 a pint!!! However, I think for that reason I defo drank less than I would if we were at home with whatever we would have got from the supermarket. Laughing cos I bet any southerners on here will be thinking that’s cheap 😂🤣 I’m always horrified by the price of drinks down south!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
OK, I'd put off all drinking from Valentines Day (bottle of wine to share with the M&S meal for £20 deal) to Easter, and then I had a big blow out from Easter Sunday until my birthday on the week after.
(Un)fortunately I managed to guzzle my way through 3 bottles of whisky and 4 of wine (problem drinker much?) and stuck on almost 6lb of weight. So now I'm going tee total again and getting my fat butt around the local park 3 times a day.

• Heart
This country is so dysfunctional with alcohol compared to others. I was watching the breakfast news on Monday and they were live from a pub cheering a man having a pint at 8am, what other country would do that?!

I’ve said before on these threads I’m not really a gin person, I like a proper G&T on a summers evening but that’s about it. All these new brightly coloured flavours look like kids pop and seem to be targeted at the younger generations. They all sound very sickly. And like the above says they’re stuck on promotions on the end of aisles next to crisps and chocolate.

Re Dry April..... well I’m not doing very well 🙈 BUT - I have just had a couple of drinks still, not a boat load! So I find that an achievement. Wasn’t planning on going anywhere near a pub but my boyfriend got a new job this week so yesterday evening we went to our local to celebrate. It was okay, quite chilly 🥶 but nice sat in the sun, they had The Smiths on speakers and it was nice to be around other people, it was nice and civilised. I have driven past pubs this week though that looked horrendous, people so drunk 🥴 and spilling out onto the street.

I had 3 pints of Stella at the pub (I’m classy) it really stung at £4.10 a pint!!! However, I think for that reason I defo drank less than I would if we were at home with whatever we would have got from the supermarket. Laughing cos I bet any southerners on here will be thinking that’s cheap 😂🤣 I’m always horrified by the price of drinks down south!
Congrats on your BF’s job and very pleased you had a nice time at your local.
£4.10 for a pint is cheap, I must admit. Essex/ London are just absolute rip off.

OK, I'd put off all drinking from Valentines Day (bottle of wine to share with the M&S meal for £20 deal) to Easter, and then I had a big blow out from Easter Sunday until my birthday on the week after.
(Un)fortunately I managed to guzzle my way through 3 bottles of whisky and 4 of wine (problem drinker much?) and stuck on almost 6lb of weight. So now I'm going tee total again and getting my fat butt around the local park 3 times a day.
Did you have a nice time though? Then put it in the duck it bucket. It all water retention anyway 😂😘

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Congrats on your BF’s job and very pleased you had a nice time at your local.
£4.10 for a pint is cheap, I must admit. Essex/ London are just absolute rip off.

Did you have a nice time though? Then put it in the duck it bucket. It all water retention anyway 😂😘
Thank you so much ❤ I’m made up for him, it’s been a tough year.

Haha I’m going down south next week for a meeting at the office and will no doubt get roped into going out and will be like you bleeping whattt at the prices 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Thank you, you sound so much like one of my friends when you wrote that.
I didn’t mind too much on the whisky but I do regret the wine, it always sends me binging. 😋

I’ve tried some of the non-alcoholic spirits but they seem more for the G&T lovers. I tried the 0% rum and it wasn’t so good. I haven’t tried the whisky yet but they seem to be more for mixer use whereas I like my spirits neat.

I think I may just stick to fruit teas in future.

• Heart
I've been teetotal 3 years. This may be the month I break it. Kind of craving it after this past year and everyone is heading to the pub. 🙄

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Just got back from 4 days in Cornwall. Went to an actual pub and got a glass of wine and it did taste lovely though it was so expensive I agree it's a lot to spend regularly now I am not used to it. Then got a bottle to last me the week in the caravan and drank every night and feel a bit tit now. Trying not to get obsessed over not drinking (I have been working hard not to be obsessed with weight loss and exercise as it doesnt help my mental health and I don't want to do it with alcohol too) so pushing all guilt aside and think it was nice to have a glass of sauv blanc in the hot tub 🤣

So I think it will be a work in progress to balance wanting to drink a bit in moderation or being tee total which I don't think I want to be yet.

None of the above probably made sense 🤣

• Heart
I think the key word is moderation. Sometimes we can get too worried about forcing ourselves to do something, like when dieting and saying you will never eat this or that. Everything is ok in moderation.

I still haven’t touched a drop, 4 months now! I simply don’t fancy it and I seem to have gone off wine or anything I would normally enjoy. It is my birthday next month and if the weather is nice and I feel like having something then I will. But if I don’t, that’s fine too. It’s my friends that seem to have a problem with it, saying I’m ‘boring’. But I will remind them of that when they are hanging out of their butt the next day and I’m fit as a fiddle 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I wish that was my key word too... 😂
I’m more like: everything in moderation except moderation
i know what you mean, I am like it with food sometimes. Sometimes I am just like ‘what the duck is moderation?’, ‘is 4000cals of chocolate moderation?’... I do allow myself the odd binge day, just because. Although, the other week, I experienced my first sugar hangover! I woke up at 4am and felt all jittery and sick and it wasn’t pleasant 😆

• Haha
What's up coconuts? This marks two months of not drinking for me - self five! 🙏 I'm going to carry on for another month because I'm trying to improve my health after years of being a moderate to heavy drinker, and also finding I have better mental health. I'm enjoying creating a better routine and being hangover free. Hope you are all okay x

Reactions: 8
Is there a dry May thread yet? I’ve started drinking too much again, and during the week which I was trying not to do. Going to give May a go, have a few outdoor social events coming up (yay for almost end of lockdown) but will stick to the sugary fizz.

Reactions: 5
What's up coconuts? This marks two months of not drinking for me - self five! 🙏 I'm going to carry on for another month because I'm trying to improve my health after years of being a moderate to heavy drinker, and also finding I have better mental health. I'm enjoying creating a better routine and being hangover free. Hope you are all okay x
yay! Well done!
I have also gone the whole month, meaning I am now 4 months t total 😱
I didn’t plan on not drinking at all but I haven’t felt like drinking at all. However, it is my birthday in may and my friend is coming over to stay with me for a few days so I have a feeling I’m going to be having a few drinks this month. I’m not planning on making it a regular occurrence though 😁

Reactions: 4
Is there a dry May thread yet? I’ve started drinking too much again, and during the week which I was trying not to do. Going to give May a go, have a few outdoor social events coming up (yay for almost end of lockdown) but will stick to the sugary fizz.
i must admit after my birthday earlier in the month it’s crept back in again annoyingly.

May I am ready to commit again properly for a month.

April has been v wet for me 🤦🏻‍♀️ Defo on for a May abstention! I feel like crap ❤
I know what you mean about feeling crap. I did dry Jan, and it extended into mid February as I just didn't fancy it. But since we have been able to have people in our garden, I feel like we have gone a bit nuts and I do feel crap for it. Tired and lethargic and MH is a bit wobbly, my anxiety has gone nuts. I think I'm going to abstain until my birthday in June, which is when if we are allowed I'll be going on holiday.

I know what you mean about feeling crap. I did dry Jan, and it extended into mid February as I just didn't fancy it. But since we have been able to have people in our garden, I feel like we have gone a bit nuts and I do feel crap for it. Tired and lethargic and MH is a bit wobbly, my anxiety has gone nuts. I think I'm going to abstain until my birthday in June, which is when if we are allowed I'll be going on holiday.
I think defo. Jan was totally dry, feb and March I drank a handful of times. April, a writeoff!! I’m going to have a few this eve as planned then get my arse I’m gear for may

• Heart
yay! Well done!
I have also gone the whole month, meaning I am now 4 months t total 😱
I didn’t plan on not drinking at all but I haven’t felt like drinking at all. However, it is my birthday in may and my friend is coming over to stay with me for a few days so I have a feeling I’m going to be having a few drinks this month. I’m not planning on making it a regular occurrence though 😁
SAMESIES! 4 months and counting 🥳🥳🥳

Will go back to it at some point but somewhere around the 2.5 month time I just stopped having the craving for it.

Ok so rather than doing a dry thread each month shall I start a sober/sober curious thread that just goes on and on?

Still here but not completely dry. Had a bottle of wine over several days recently but nothing like it was before. My husband has been drinking quite a bit which has been a challenge but I went to shop to get some 0% stuff this eve and he asked me to get him some AF beer so is obviously feeling he needs a dry weekend which is good for him.

Still managing yoga most days and that has been the best thing in a sober curious life is having the clear head to practice!

Reactions: 6
I’m six weeks sober today. I didn’t have an issue with alcohol really, I just never knew when to bloody call it a night. Never could complete a full fry Jan. but I stop stopped on my own accord and with little pressure on myself I seem to keep it going.. tonight my OH is off to meet his friends and instead of treating myself to a bottle of wine I’m really looking forward to a cup of tea! My MH has improved immensely and I’m so glad I’ve managed six weeks. If I drink again, I do, I’m not putting any pressure on myself but I’m enjoying how I feel right now

• Heart
Reactions: 4