Dreading Xmas and Winter

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It's the lack of sunlight that doesn't help. It's so gloomy here in the south east 😩

• Sad
Reactions: 5
For some weird reason today I found out that sundown here in the Netherlands is at 6pm in Feb; felt instantly better.
Maybe I’m clutching at straws here (for another year) but January is actually my favourite month of the year because
- Christmas and Hogmanay nostalgia is out the way
- making plans for the new year
- days start to lengthen, think the sky won’t be pitch black now when kids go back to school
- next significant school holiday is Easter, when spring is here 🐣
---
Just as an addendum I know I sound like some
Pollyanna style optimist; we moved from Scotland to the Netherlands in October and one of the instrumental reasons was climate and light, we get an extra hour of light and even though the weather is rainy and shite 70% of the time here, the cold hits different here. Might explain why I didn’t start my usual hellish seasonal depression until the second week of December vs the usual last week of November.
So I might sound forcibly upbeat - but I moved country to get away from the gloom and cold of scotland at this time of year 😵💫

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
It's the lack of sunlight that doesn't help. It's so gloomy here in the south east 😩
Yes! It feels like the sun hasn't risen for months. I don't mind the temperature this time of year, it's just the constant greyness/lack of light. I could just about handle the sun setting at 4pm if the day had been bright with blue skies, but it's like living inside a cloud. There was a lovely sunset tonight though - does that mean it'll be sunny tomorrow, red sky at night shepherd's delight and all that, or is that just a myth?!

Reactions: 2
For some weird reason today I found out that sundown here in the Netherlands is at 6pm in Feb; felt instantly better.
Maybe I’m clutching at straws here (for another year) but January is actually my favourite month of the year because
- days start to lengthen, think the sky won’t be pitch black now when kids go back to school
---
Pollyanna style optimist; we moved from Scotland to the Netherlands in October and one of the instrumental reasons was climate and light, we get an extra hour of light and even though the weather is rainy and shite 70% of the time here, the cold hits different here. Might explain why I didn’t start my usual hellish seasonal depression until the second week of December vs the usual last week of November.
So I might sound forcibly upbeat - but I moved country to get away from the gloom and cold of scotland at this time of year 😵💫
I’m a fan of January too. I love the peace and quiet after the mania of December. I also like the feeling of motivation for new goals, even if it’s only really just a day on a calendar. The lengthening days. Yeah, January is sound.

Reactions: 3
---
I have a love/hate relationship with January. It's so drab and grey BUT it feels like spring is around the corner and you've got all the good months to look forward to.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I feel like we have to endure January. The weather is always bad up here. By the time February comes, we’ve done the hard part and even if there is a cold spell then, it won’t last (like that horrendous 2010/2011 winter).

Hoping for some sun tomorrow. These days just merge.

Reactions: 4
I feel like we have to endure January. The weather is always bad up here. By the time February comes, we’ve done the hard part and even if there is a cold spell then, it won’t last (like that horrendous 2010/2011 winter).

Hoping for some sun tomorrow. These days just merge.
I remember that winter because it was my last year of college. It truly was awful!

Reactions: 1
Ahhh I always feel relief once Christmas is done. A whole year until it comes round again 😅 (well, more like 10 months as it starts too early🙄)

We’re past the worst of the darkness, the light will start creeping back in January 😊

I know it’s hard but getting outside massively helps me. Even if it’s a total mission with kids in tow!

Reactions: 7