Dr Laura GP

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
There’s nothing like showing us the stuff you took from a business for free whilst telling us to support local...
The ‘support local’ shtick absolutely grinds my gears, sure she’s flat out ordering everything from the UK, when she sees a picture of someone else’s house and decides she wants to copy their interior design 🙈 Obviously didn’t manage to bag a free bed when she went traipsing up to McDermott’s in Castlebar and Morrow’s in Ballina last summer 🙄

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
She wouldn't get away with that carry on in the UK. I've unfollowed. She's very very unlikeable with all the begging and the constant smug face.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
The hack and head on her literally can’t find her credible at all . “ taking a break for the weekend “ so nothing to beg for or sell to us then for the weekend so what’s the point ??!

Reactions: 6
Anyone else notice the bottle of wine beside a box of tablets !? They could well be vitamins but it just made me lol

Reactions: 3
If she gets a fireplace from Nagles for free they are killing their business. All the free food she took last week & not even a whisper of donating it to anywhere local. A GP looking for freebies to do up her house, in a pandemic

Reactions: 10
If she gets a fireplace from Nagles for free they are killing their business. All the free food she took last week & not even a whisper of donating it to anywhere local. A GP looking for freebies to do up her house, in a pandemic
A GP looking for freebies to do up her house, in a pandemic.
It doesn’t sound too good , does it ?!

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 17
She’s actually advocating using losec in a baby who is thriving, this goes against all medical advice / guidelines. GORD or reflux is only medicated in children or babies when it’s actually affecting development/ weight gain/ electrolyte abnormalities, Oh my goodness this woman is clueless.

Reactions: 12
Working 6 days a week...Instagram begging for freebies is not a job. An insult to those who do actually work/hustle for things

She’s actually advocating using losec in a baby who is thriving, this goes against all medical advice / guidelines. GORD or reflux is only medicated in children or babies when it’s actually affecting development/ weight gain/ electrolyte abnormalities, Oh my goodness this woman is clueless.
I'm not defending her because I unfollowed a while ago as I don't agree with 95% of what she does.

My baby had silent reflux and CMPI, we had a nightmare as first time parents last year during lock down with no support. Our GP, peads, PHN and everyone said that she was thriving so no need for losec. I finally got a private paediatrician to give it to us and it changed out lives.

I don't know in what context Dr. Laura advocated for it but I and a huge amount of parents on a FB group for reflux in Ireland would agree with her on this.

Reactions: 3
I'm not defending her because I unfollowed a while ago as I don't agree with 95% of what she does.

My baby had silent reflux and CMPI, we had a nightmare as first time parents last year during lock down with no support. Our GP, peads, PHN and everyone said that she was thriving so no need for losec. I finally got a private paediatrician to give it to us and it changed out lives.

I don't know in what context Dr. Laura advocated for it but I and a huge amount of parents on a FB group for reflux in Ireland would agree with her on this.
To start a PPI ( losec) at this stage is very unusual in the medical world. Thriving is an objective way to ascertain what centile they are on. Clearly her LO is on an adequate centile from what I can see in her pictures. She is also already weaned (a stage a lot further on from when you mentioned perhaps when your LO started losec?) which would also go against starting it. To merely start a medication which can cause profund electrolyte abnormalities, constipation etc to avoid having to clear up vomit is senseless and against any up to date guidelines. When a baby is a lot smaller, reflux is a lot more “painful” as such as their epiglottis is a lot more flaccid than the age Laura’s baby is now.
It’s just to me, there is no clear objective reason why she would medicate her reflux particularly this late on, then showing this on her story could lead to many mums encouraged to medicate their perfectly normal LOs. Also important to note, reflux to some degree is normal in all babies.

Reactions: 4

This was my experience too and to be honest we went through an absolutely horrible 2 months watching our newborn in agony whilst being fobbed off by our gp (who didn’t believe in SR) and eventually getting referred to a paediatrician who prescribed losec almost immediately. I know lots of other SR parents with babies on losec even though they weren’t underweight but were in a lot of discomfort.

Reactions: 2

I have 2 boys both were reflux went through hell with my first no bloody help.... my second I remember putting him roaring ing the car seat getting a taxi to a&e and made peads watch me feed him refused to leave without a script for losac I had a happy baby 2 days later the was content and didn't just roar!

I have 2 boys both were reflux went through hell with my first no bloody help.... my second I remember putting him roaring ing the car seat getting a taxi to a&e and made peads watch me feed him refused to leave without a script for losac I had a happy baby 2 days later the was content and didn't just roar!
Were they the same age as Laura’s LO or younger? I’m not disputing giving a prescription of losec, if the clinical need is there than by all means it is the correct thing to do. However, I just question exactly what was this baby’s need. She appeared to be thriving well, and Laura didn’t mention she was upset or disgruntled; just merely “vomititng quite a lot” and posted a myriad of pics of a fairly happy looking baby from that weekend....
Strange decision to post on her social media platform with no reasoning other than “vomiting”. Also, usually a few other options are explored no matter what the age in the first instance; thickened feeds, position of feeds etc etc none of this was addressed “ I just started losec” 🥴
She’s in a position of privilege as a doctor & with a large following. I just feel she needs to take care to be more conscious of the statements she makes and how they can be perceived, or potentially wrongly perceived.

Reactions: 10
Were they the same age as Laura’s LO or younger? I’m not disputing giving a prescription of losec, if the clinical need is there than by all means it is the correct thing to do. However, I just question exactly what was this baby’s need. She appeared to be thriving well, and Laura didn’t mention she was upset or disgruntled; just merely “vomititng quite a lot” and posted a myriad of pics of a fairly happy looking baby from that weekend....
Strange decision to post on her social media platform with no reasoning other than “vomiting”. Also, usually a few other options are explored no matter what the age in the first instance; thickened feeds, position of feeds etc etc none of this was addressed “ I just started losec” 🥴
She’s in a position of privilege as a doctor & with a large following. I just feel she needs to take care to be more conscious of the statements she makes and how they can be perceived, or potentially wrongly perceived.
I 100% agree, when I posted, I wasn't sure the context of Laura perscribing losec for her lo.

I think for the other two posters and I, we had small babies. I'm sure we all had tried gaviscon, colief, infacol, milk thichener, changing formulas (diary free, soya free, lactose free), giving up dairy and soya if breast feeding, changing type of bottle, probiotics and many other things before we went down the losec route.

As you say, there are many others things to try before giving a pretty significant medication to a baby.

My eldest was on dairy free milk

My second roared 17 hours a day I tried EVERYTHING gripe water, infacol, gavinson, I didn't change his milk as he was a preemie so I went to casualty he was watched by peads as we battled to get a bottle into him he was great by 6 months he was self weaned hes 18 months now sweet potatoes still drive him crazy.

But romy doesn't strike me as a reflux baby. My 10 year old loved going to school the way he didn't have to listen to the crying

Yeah I was really wondering at the Losec, also the fact she was giving it at night, every piece of advice I was given was to give it early in the day because it can cause insomnia too, her advice is sketchy. I’m baffled by her decision to give Losec at this late stage. In our experience SR was so bad it disrupted family life so badly we couldn’t have waited 9 weeks not to mind 9 months to medicate. Again I think she is misinforming mother’s. I wouldn’t be choosing her as my GP

Should she not be trying to get to the actual cause of the reflux coming back instead of masking it, and probably medicating baby unnecessarily just because poor Laura needs time to flog her products and beg

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.