Dolly Alderton/Pandora Sykes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'd noticed that actually too, I used to love the episodes so much but now it does feel it's lost a bit of its sparkle, the conversations aren't as interesting and there seems to be no real structure anymore? There is the odd funny moment but I wonder if maybe their chemistry has changed a little. Or they don't have as much time to dedicate to it, or something. It used to be really well-produced and interesting but now it seems like they can't say anything they actually want to say for fear of not seeming woke enough.
I think the fear that they’re not being woke is what’s slowly putting me off. They have to over empathise and justify their points because they fear a barrage of email abuse because they made a flippant comment or seemed to generalise a subject. There was a point every episode where they were apologising for something they said the week before. I actually don’t know why they can be bothered - it would do my head in.

Reactions: 9
There was a lot in her first book admitting her inclination to drink too much so I was surprised when I found out she still drinks
Yeh I remember a few years ago when she had a dating column in the times magazine she did dry jan and it made her realise she had some kind of problematic relationship with it, I thought she’d given up for good after that but evidently not

Reactions: 2
There will be a reckoning. Women can drink like this with not that many visible consequences until about early thirties after that the consequences begin to show. I don’t see any sign of moderation in her drinking and I think it won’t be long before she hits the buffers. Then she will write a drinkers memoir....

Reactions: 3
The article in the Saturday Times didn’t do Pandora any favours I don’t think. I just felt sorry for her it feels she’s so desperate to be perfect. She came across as cold and robotic.
She does seem to seek perfection. The opening paragraph seemed so materialistic, for lack of a better word. Obviously she didn’t write it but she’s very chummy with the Times so she would have had a say in the final version. Being ‘blonde and gorgeous’, owning an expensive house in a fashionable neighbourhood, being married and having 2 children by the age of 33. There is so much more to life than having those things!
The interview barely covered her book, there was a lot about the High Low, defending her poshness, friendship with Dolly and of course how she’s ditched social media which is total bollocks anyway. I would have preferred to hear more about the book because it does sound interesting.

Reactions: 5
Dying to know from those with early access to the book whether Nina loves swimming in Hampstead Heath ponds, Rod Stewart, 1970s fashion, leopard print, Gimme Shelter by the Rolling Stones? If I had a quid for every Dolly mentioned those things I'd be rich. Well, maybe I'd have £50. I won't be able to read the book unless I find a copy in a charity shop because there's no way I would ever buy it.

The thing I find gross about Dolly is that she seems to find all her faults extremely cute and funny. I would feel shame if I recognised that I bragged all the time or made stuff up or 'bellowed' (another favourite word of Dolly's), but Dolly seems to absolutely love those parts of herself and to relay them them gleefully at every opportunity, tee hee! Her extremely high opinion of herself is revolting, and she looks down on people. I remember her making fun of 'the kind of girls who have Bayliss & Harding soap and think it's fancy', and a tweet where she said she was doing something so obnoxious that 'even' her cleaner got annoyed. Is your cleaner not allowed to think or feel things because she's a cleaner?! I also just don't think she's a good writer: I used to get her newsletter and it was badly written with lots of spelling and grammar mistakes. I know she's said stuff about that - that people are snobby for insisting writers know how to spell; for me it's a basic tenet of having a career as a writer...?

The thing about both of them is that they are grasping and reaching and trying so hard to be literary luminaries but they're just completely basic. Their suggestions are basic. The way they describe things is basic. Pandora recommend a Jodi Piccoult book! I have read and enjoyed Jodi P on holiday but I would never ever recommend it as it's so off brand for them. The Marian Keyes sycophancy between them all is also so fake: Marian Keyes is not the kind of author they aspire to be. It must kill Dolly to look on her tagged photos on instagram and see the the most basic of witches posting flatlays of her book along with a latte on their beds. Likewise the way that they, and especially Dolly's book, are always referred to as RELATABLE. I hate that! Having something described to me as relatable just makes me thing it's lazy, echo chamber-y, millenial zeitgesity and puts me right off - yet what they seem to want to push is so much more than just being 'relatable'.

But the worst thing about them is the way everything is VITAL and DEVASTATING.

Couldn't agree more with posters above pointing out Pandora can't have it both ways - either you eschew social media and sponsored posts and pushing the unattainable 'perfect life' or you don't, but you can't claim you're above it all when a lot of what you have in your extremely expensive, 1%er house is because of your sponsored posts/ because brands want to woo you.

PHEW I've been wanting to get some of that off my chest for years, lol.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 33
I just went to peruse Dolly's Twitter but I wonder if she's had a small deleting spree? I'm sure there were a few more recent "self-deprecating" classics, but it seems rather quiet on that front recently.

• Wow
Dying to know from those with early access to the book whether Nina loves swimming in Hampstead Heath ponds, Rod Stewart, 1970s fashion, leopard print, Gimme Shelter by the Rolling Stones? If I had a quid for every Dolly mentioned those things I'd be rich. Well, maybe I'd have £50. I won't be able to read the book unless I find a copy in a charity shop because there's no way I would ever buy it.

The thing I find gross about Dolly is that she seems to find all her faults extremely cute and funny. I would feel shame if I recognised that I bragged all the time or made stuff up or 'bellowed' (another favourite word of Dolly's), but Dolly seems to absolutely love those parts of herself and to relay them them gleefully at every opportunity, tee hee! Her extremely high opinion of herself is revolting, and she looks down on people. I remember her making fun of 'the kind of girls who have Bayliss & Harding soap and think it's fancy', and a tweet where she said she was doing something so obnoxious that 'even' her cleaner got annoyed. Is your cleaner not allowed to think or feel things because she's a cleaner?! I also just don't think she's a good writer: I used to get her newsletter and it was badly written with lots of spelling and grammar mistakes. I know she's said stuff about that - that people are snobby for insisting writers know how to spell; for me it's a basic tenet of having a career as a writer...?

The thing about both of them is that they are grasping and reaching and trying so hard to be literary luminaries but they're just completely basic. Their suggestions are basic. The way they describe things is basic. Pandora recommend a Jodi Piccoult book! I have read and enjoyed Jodi P on holiday but I would never ever recommend it as it's so off brand for them. The Marian Keyes sycophancy between them all is also so fake: Marian Keyes is not the kind of author they aspire to be. It must kill Dolly to look on her tagged photos on instagram and see the the most basic of witches posting flatlays of her book along with a latte on their beds. Likewise the way that they, and especially Dolly's book, are always referred to as RELATABLE. I hate that! Having something described to me as relatable just makes me thing it's lazy, echo chamber-y, millenial zeitgesity and puts me right off - yet what they seem to want to push is so much more than just being 'relatable'.

Couldn't agree more with posters above pointing out Pandora can't have it both ways - either you eschew social media and sponsored posts and pushing the unattainable 'perfect life' or you don't, but you can't claim you're above it all when a lot of what you have in your extremely expensive, 1%er house is because of your sponsored posts/ because brands want to woo you.

The ponds are definitely included!

ETA: it was their calling absolutely everything 'vital' that first made me stop listening to the podcast.

Reactions: 5
Yes, all of that is rather tiresome. It also slightly irritates me when she tries to bring music into the High Low, for some reason it just annoys me that she thinks she is in a position to recommend music. Not what I subscribe to you for.

Are you me? These are my thoughts 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Hmm I dunno I love Marian K and don't understand anyone who doesn't. Haven't read Jodie P (yet) but also don't think you should only recommend things that are 'on brand', I mean, surely we all like things that are arguably off brand for what people think we are

I haven't actually read anything by Marian Keyes but how annoying she is on Twitter is enough to put me off 😂 I don't even follow her and somehow she's still always on my timeline.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Hmm I dunno I love Marian K and don't understand anyone who doesn't. Haven't read Jodie P (yet) but also don't think you should only recommend things that are 'on brand', I mean, surely we all like things that are arguably off brand for what people think we are
Yes def, and people can and should like what they like unapologetically, but if you’re forever trying to convince people of your superior and sparkling intellect and far reaching curiosity, and your whole USP is about that, and how niche and educated and superior your taste, Marian Keyes and Jodi P are not your natural bed fellows.

They also both scoffed at SATC. Two columnists with a love for fashion and one with mad-cap dating anecdotes...? Sounds familiar... Pandora also scoffed hard at the Hinch phenomenon - little moments like that really show classism imo.

Reactions: 11
I haven't actually read anything by Marian Keyes but how annoying she is on Twitter is enough to put me off 😂 I don't even follow her and somehow she's still always on my timeline.
Yes! The same!

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.