Dolly Alderton/Pandora Sykes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
And did they succeed? I don't mind poshness, I am posh, but the mega posh are pretty unrelatable to me and they almost make me uncomfortable since I do not like tories (sorry) which many are bound to be

Reactions: 7
I can't even imagine having that sort of background and wealth. It's insane. Pretty easy to walk into journalism with that scale of help..

What's Dolly's story? What do her parents do?
I actually think Dolly is almost average when compared to Pandora!! I don’t think she comes from family money like that, just a very comfortable London suburbs (upper?) middle class family.

Not sure what her parents do but I’m fairly sure they do not have a tennis court.
Someone with a better memory than me will be along to rehash what she gave away in her first book - all I can remember is that she went to private school but described herself as averagely middle class or similar.

To be fair, I think the problem is that the term “middle class” actually describes a huge range of different levels of income and wealth in the UK. Depending on where you live and the life you lead, you could be “solidly middle class” with wide variation of jobs, from teacher to surgeon to CEO. Ultimately it’s about much more than money. People born into a middle class family who end up on their arse financially don’t suddenly become working class, and lottery winners don’t climb up a social class either.

I think Pandora has some nerve not recognising she’s part of the “elite” she loves to talk about, though. I think less and less of her as more information arises. I think she’s a fraud. No wonder she dealt with the criticism of her book so badly - deep down she probably knows a lot of it is true, she isn’t well-placed to talk about the average female millennial’s experience.

I’m sorry if it’s nasty but I’m glad she got a backlash. I’m truly pissed off that someone listed on that peerage website with tennis courts in their family home feels they can accurately relate to someone like me or my sister or any of my friends, and our life experiences.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Regarding last week's podcast, I am relistening now and I think the author special is essentially a good introduction into the problematics of 'performative allyship/activism' and the author is essentially commenting that reading anti-racist literature is only a small act and not actual work towards dismantling racist structures, and that people should not congratulate themselves for reading it or showing solidarity online, because essentially that is not enough but also those people can still be guilty of enacting micro-aggressions towards black people and PoC despite thinking they are progressive and 'not racist'. I like the comment that racism isn't a binary but a spectrum, and that many people who state they are 'not racist' can still act racist. The author also acknowledges the contradiction between her essay and her book to be fair.

Anyone know why there isn't an episode this week?

Reactions: 6
I can't even imagine having that sort of background and wealth. It's insane. Pretty easy to walk into journalism with that scale of help..

What's Dolly's story? What do her parents do?
Not sure but she’s no where near as posh as Panda. Positively common in comparison! :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Pandora is related to Jane Birkin through peerage! And both her and Ollie are descendants from the same posh family. It’s so frustrating she frames herself as such an everywoman. Similarly, ina recent story about her daughter’s bedroom, she pointed out the drawers as a £20-odd eBay steal but neglected to mention her wallpaper (which someone else later tagged) is something like £150 per roll! So selective in her truth telling. Cannot stand her and how fake she is.

anyone listened to her interview on How to Fail? She discussed her biggest failures in life, and they are
- not getting into grammar school and having to go to a public (non UK readers - this means private 🤪) boarding school instead
- being fired from an internship for asking for a press discount in her early 20s
- being kicked out of a friendship group aged 11 (seriously - she’s discussed this multiple times on the podcast) and later being reintegrated after a few weeks... she got slide a note under her door from her roommate but they later made up and are now all godparents to one another.

if these are someone’s biggest failures, they’ve led an immeasurably charmed life. Get a bleeping grip.

• Haha
Reactions: 28
Pandora is related to Jane Birkin through peerage! And both her and Ollie are descendants from the same posh family. It’s so frustrating she frames herself as such an everywoman. Similarly, ina recent story about her daughter’s bedroom, she pointed out the drawers as a £20-odd eBay steal but neglected to mention her wallpaper (which someone else later tagged) is something like £150 per roll! So selective in her truth telling. Cannot stand her and how fake she is.

anyone listened to her interview on How to Fail? She discussed her biggest failures in life, and they are
- not getting into grammar school and having to go to a public (non UK readers - this means private 🤪) boarding school instead
- being fired from an internship for asking for a press discount in her early 20s
- being kicked out of a friendship group aged 11 (seriously - she’s discussed this multiple times on the podcast) and later being reintegrated after a few weeks... she got slide a note under her door from her roommate but they later made up and are now all godparents to one another.

if these are someone’s biggest failures, they’ve led an immeasurably charmed life. Get a bleeping grip.
Yeah I listened to that episode. I like the idea of that podcast and of course people can still feel like failures and have things go wrong even if they're rich. But why Pandora was a guest with those examples is beyond me!

Reactions: 4
Yeah I listened to that episode. I like the idea of that podcast and of course people can still feel like failures and have things go wrong even if they're rich. But why Pandora was a guest with those examples is beyond me!
because they’re all part of the same clique and all need each others’ quotes on their book jackets!

jesus holding on to some childhood spat like that is beyond pathetic

Reactions: 2
I listened to Pandora on How to Fail and agree her failures were a bit of a joke (Dolly’s were too - I couldn’t actually finish Dolly’s episode). I also felt Pandora had this tone of ‘my biggest weakness is being too much of a good friend, too perfect’. She showed no honesty or vulnerability and the best guests on that podcast share that, no matter what their background is. She said in her latest Evening Standard article that she does not like sharing her vulnerabilities... then don’t go on a podcast like that then.

Whenever Pandora uses Instagram it’s either to talk about a book or share an outfit or some interior design that she got off Etsy or eBay for 10 quid or something. It does come across as fake, the woman has 7 chairs in her kitchen costing £700 each. She is mega rich and would do better just to be honest about it and give up the everywoman act.

I listened to Pandora on How to Fail and agree her failures were a bit of a joke (Dolly’s were too - I couldn’t actually finish Dolly’s episode). I also felt Pandora had this tone of ‘my biggest weakness is being too much of a good friend, too perfect’. She showed no honesty or vulnerability and the best guests on that podcast share that, no matter what their background is. She said in her latest Evening Standard article that she does not like sharing her vulnerabilities... then don’t go on a podcast like that then.

Whenever Pandora uses Instagram it’s either to talk about a book or share an outfit or some interior design that she got off Etsy or eBay for 10 quid or something. It does come across as fake, the woman has 7 chairs in her kitchen costing £700 each. She is mega rich and would do better just to be honest about it and give up the everywoman act.
I will never forget the article about her house describing Pooky lights as a money-saving option. The average cost of one of their floor lamps is £300! That is only a money-saving option if your kitchen chairs cost £700 each, and your (gifted) rugs cost over £1k each.

The whole tone of that article was about how savvy she is with saving money while still decorating beautifully (not my own opinion). I’m not one of those who gets angry at someone buying expensive things - people spend what they can afford and clearly she can afford it. It’s the idea that she’s so clever with decorating “on a budget” that is beyond ridiculous.

Actually, I do wonder if Pandora is so convinced she’s an everywoman because, although she’s clearly incredibly rich compared to the rest of us, she must be moving in circles where they’ve never even heard of High Street stores?

• Wow
Reactions: 10
I actually think Dolly is almost average when compared to Pandora!! I don’t think she comes from family money like that, just a very comfortable London suburbs (upper?) middle class family.

Not sure what her parents do but I’m fairly sure they do not have a tennis court.
Someone with a better memory than me will be along to rehash what she gave away in her first book - all I can remember is that she went to private school but described herself as averagely middle class or similar.

To be fair, I think the problem is that the term “middle class” actually describes a huge range of different levels of income and wealth in the UK. Depending on where you live and the life you lead, you could be “solidly middle class” with wide variation of jobs, from teacher to surgeon to CEO. Ultimately it’s about much more than money. People born into a middle class family who end up on their arse financially don’t suddenly become working class, and lottery winners don’t climb up a social class either.

I think Pandora has some nerve not recognising she’s part of the “elite” she loves to talk about, though. I think less and less of her as more information arises. I think she’s a fraud. No wonder she dealt with the criticism of her book so badly - deep down she probably knows a lot of it is true, she isn’t well-placed to talk about the average female millennial’s experience.

I’m sorry if it’s nasty but I’m glad she got a backlash. I’m truly pissed off that someone listed on that peerage website with tennis courts in their family home feels they can accurately relate to someone like me or my sister or any of my friends, and our life experiences.
I am relishing the fact that I may have finally contributed something useful to this thread, thank you to all commenters! I picked up the satellite trick when I was listening to a long-ago BBC radio news bit about Greece and how the affluent understate their property values to pay less tax, but some bureaucrat started matching up addresses/home value with satellite shots showing pools that were not on record.
Another great resource is the Times of London. There is a paywall but alternatively there is also a subscription database that is available on your public library's collection of searchable News and Magazine databases (it is a subscription service the library systems pay for, so this is tax dollars being put to good use!) The Times UK database goes all the way back to 1785. They list marriage, birth, death, and even court cases of the insolvent. On your school library or local library's database links you should look for 'Gale' (company name) resources and from there it is "Times Digital Archive."

• Heart
Wah can someone please help me view the house! I tried yesterday searching companies house for an address etc but nae luck

Reactions: 1
Wah can someone please help me view the house! I tried yesterday searching companies house for an address etc but nae luck
I can’t work it out either 😅

The fact she calls herself an “Essex girl” — while technically true — is a little galling.

I can’t work it out either 😅

The fact she calls herself an “Essex girl” — while technically true — is a little galling.
This is what gets me too! I think her time spent hanging out in Colchester in the early 00’s was probably veeeeery different from mine and my friends’...

that'll be her family's house though not hers and Ollie's? Will try nevertheless!
Yes, I don't think anyone's saying she still lives there, but it's where she grew up and had her wedding I think? If you google her mum (Hon. Nicola Mary Caroline Buxton) and follow the Peerage link you'll find it.

The house she lives in in Kensal Green isn't exactly a shack either - I'm not in London but £1.5m is presumably still a lot for first time buyers?

Reactions: 2
Yes, I don't think anyone's saying she still lives there, but it's where she grew up and had her wedding I think? If you google her mum (Hon. Nicola Mary Caroline Buxton) and follow the Peerage link you'll find it.

The house she lives in in Kensal Green isn't exactly a shack either - I'm not in London but £1.5m is presumably still a lot for first time buyers?
I would say that if you come from Landry gentry that £1.5 million is bargainous.😏

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.