Dolly Alderton/Pandora Sykes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
oooooh I'd like to know who it was! I'm nosey haha
I tried Googling it the other night after I read that chapter and couldn't find it 😫 once I read about his randy drawings - God when you're in your early 20s you really do think lots of tit is alluring and not totally weird - I wanted to see him again.

Reactions: 1
This is exactly what I have been desperate to know for years now - who the hell is this damn guru? I mean the whole premise of how they met is that she interviewed him, but even after scanning all her interviews I still was none the wiser, so annoying

Reactions: 5
The details are very hazy in my mind now but I’m sure when I read the book when it was released, I went on a Google deep dive to see if I could work out who the Guru was and I came to the conclusion she must have massively altered the details to keep it private.
The tattoo in particular just seems so outing, surely SOMEONE would have found out about it now?

I don’t remember about an actress marrying her ex? Who was it? Anyone know?

Reactions: 3
The details are very hazy in my mind now but I’m sure when I read the book when it was released, I went on a Google deep dive to see if I could work out who the Guru was and I came to the conclusion she must have massively altered the details to keep it private.
The tattoo in particular just seems so outing, surely SOMEONE would have found out about it now?

I don’t remember about an actress marrying her ex? Who was it? Anyone know?
I remember the story but if anyone knows who it is I would love to know

I’d totally forgotten about the guru. She went out with a comedian and I’ve always wondered who that was, could it be the guru?

Also did anyone read the article in defence of the critical review of Dolly alderton? It was really good and talked about how there has been a lot of chat about steering away from negativity and only reviewing good books/ movies etc. the author of the piece disagreed and said that the role of the reviewer was to help the consumer decide if something was worth their time and money and in the case of Ghosts, where the author is an established writer with a huge platform, it was fair game.

Having said that it must be so hard to get a review that harsh.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10
Absolutely. Reviews ought to be for readers, not authors.

All the reviews that sing the praises of Dolly's book because the reviewer is a mate or returning a favour are not reviews for the benefit of the reader.

Maybe it is a good book that some people will enjoy. But I'm never going to trust the good reviews now!

Reactions: 10
I've finished the book and while it wasnt a literary masterpiece, i did enjoy it. It was a nice easy read, wittyand generally enjoyable

Reactions: 6
I’d totally forgotten about the guru. She went out with a comedian and I’ve always wondered who that was, could it be the guru?

Also did anyone read the article in defence of the critical review of Dolly alderton? It was really good and talked about how there has been a lot of chat about steering away from negativity and only reviewing good books/ movies etc. the author of the piece disagreed and said that the role of the reviewer was to help the consumer decide if something was worth their time and money and in the case of Ghosts, where the author is an established writer with a huge platform, it was fair game.

Having said that it must be so hard to get a review that harsh.
No no, the comedian was a different guy, I knew him (not personally but I had done my research at the time!) - i will try to jog my memory and tell you who it was. He wasn't very famous or anything though.

Update, the comedian was either Harry Mitchell or Alfie Brown, because - https://www.mediamasters.fm/wp-cont...Masters_Dolly-Alderton-Podcast-Transcript.pdf (do control find comedian) and then it whittles it down to those two. I don't think it's the latter because he's with Jessie Cave, but the former doesn't seem to have loads of comedy experience... I dunno

Last edited:
No no, the comedian was a different guy, I knew him (not personally but I had done my research at the time!) - i will try to jog my memory and tell you who it was. He wasn't very famous or anything though.

Update, the comedian was either Harry Mitchell or Alfie Brown, because - https://www.mediamasters.fm/wp-cont...Masters_Dolly-Alderton-Podcast-Transcript.pdf (do control find comedian) and then it whittles it down to those two. I don't think it's the latter because he's with Jessie Cave, but the former doesn't seem to have loads of comedy experience... I dunno
how does that whittle it down to those two? I just spent way too long reading through that whole section as I couldn’t work out how to “find” a phrase and can’t find either of their names! 🥴

I think because if you look up ‘Anna, Island’ (the documentary that’s being talked about) then those are the two guys who are listed as being in it, and the above article says that she got her boyfriend comedian to be in it.

I think because if you look up ‘Anna, Island’ (the documentary that’s being talked about) then those are the two guys who are listed as being in it, and the above article says that she got her boyfriend comedian to be in it.
oh I seeeee! Thank you 🙏

I RECOGNISE Harry Michell, I think from doing this exact stalk of who her ex boyfriend was.😹 Pretty certain it’s him.

Reactions: 2
Don't think it's Alfie Brown. Jessie Cave was in Dolly's short film and does very candid shows about her life. If Alfie had been with Dolly while they were split up I'm certain she'd have mentioned it.

oh I seeeee! Thank you 🙏

I RECOGNISE Harry Michell, I think from doing this exact stalk of who her ex boyfriend was.😹 Pretty certain it’s him.
Agreed - he seemed a familiar face to me in this too

Don't think it's Alfie Brown. Jessie Cave was in Dolly's short film and does very candid shows about her life. If Alfie had been with Dolly while they were split up I'm certain she'd have mentioned it.
Sorry but what is Dolly's short film? :)

No I don’t think the comedian is either of those two. It’s someone Sophia money-coutts subsequently went out with. I can’t remember how I know that but I think I do!

was anyone else as unimpressed by Pandora’s article in the Evening Standard as I was? I think this is a really important topic and I was disappointed to see such a brief, aimless article that kind of skims over the issue without addressing the root of the backlash; in my opinion, the obvious driver is misogyny.

I’ve also never heard of or encountered people saying “but what if women stop having kids??!” in reaction to the candour of celebrity mums? Is that a thing?
Omg it drove me mad! Two things: 'The week previous' (do you mean the week before?! Who says previous?!) and the interlude of '(because men care about pregnancy and childbirth too)' - well duh?!

Also I read Heartburn by Nora Ephron the other week and... my god. I know people refer to Dolly as the millennial Nora Ephron but wow, no way NEAR as good! I know that's me pitting women against women but I do feel she's positioning herself to fill Ephron's niche and style a bit, and having never read (as opposed to seeing) any of Ephron's work before now I just felt I had to comment that I don't see how you could possibly compare Ghosts and Heartburn, they're in completely different leagues.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Absolutely. I enjoyed Ghosts well enough, but it’s an easy and forgettable read. Heartburn, on the other hand, is one of my all-time favourite books! Unique, moving, totally memorable.

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.